The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

wolf Goes to the Dentist.

Dr. Bill is very cool, and is the dentist that I have been seeing since I was in college. I noticed today (because I had some time staring at his certificates while he was drying my x-rays) that I have probably been seeing him throughout the entire length of his practice.

Why was I waiting for x-rays to dry today, you may ask?

Okay, probably you wouldn't but since I started the thread I might as well tell you.

Yesterday, my tooth hurt intermittently.

Today, I woke up with the entire left side of my face up to my eyeball swollen and the pain worse.

I had to take momwolf to a PCP visit today (not a good visit, she's scheduled tomorrow for a mammogram and ultrasound of her breast, has family history of breast cancer), and so the only time I had to try to schedule with my dentist was while I was in the waiting room at her PCP's office, staring at the signs that said "NO CELL PHONE USE IN THE WAITING ROOM."

I was ready ... were I challenged I was going to announce "This is no mere cell phone, buddy ... this here's a motherfuckin' Crackberry!" Didn't have to use it. Basically nobody cared that I was on the phone in the Waiting Room.

Dr. Bill knows that I do not call him requesting an emergency appointment very often. In fact, I don't think I've called him for an emergency-emergency appointment ever. I did beg my way into an earlier appointment some years ago over a fractured tooth, but I think that meant that I waited a week and a half instead of the usual two months that he books ahead.

So, he gets me in, but not so quickly that I was able to just take momwolf along with me. Had to take her home and then drive back nearly as far as her PCP's office.

So, yeah, I have an abscessed tooth. It's my first.

I'm off work tonight, and intend to cozy up with my antibiotic, a nice cup of tea, and some of Dr. House's little helpers.

This is not an April Fool's Joke.

Prayers would be appreciated.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

ramen
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Juniper
I know, right?

Poor baby. I have been there & done that. Not fun.

Actually I have a dentist appt. tomorrow morning. I haven't been in years and I'm afraid the dentist is going to flip out when he looks in there. Then he's going to get on the phone with the nearest Porsche dealer.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Tiki

Eeek! That really sucks. Feel better soon, and good luck to Momwolf too!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

may the Goddess of Vicoden treat you well, wolf.

prayers and good vibes along with your tea.

eta: if you take two vicoden and then really chug a beer...no, don't do that. You'll get a dry socket.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 04-01-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I hope your feeling better soon. And let me know the next time you need a cavity filled.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It must be the Vicoden ... this can't be real ... you're offering to switch hit? I mean I know I am completely amazing, but I turned Sheldon straight?

Hotcha!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 04-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
Juniper
I know, right?

April Fool's!
Old 04-02-2009, 03:28 AM   #9
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Fishing in les poissons d'Avril.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:00 AM   #10
NoBoxes

If you had shopped around in the right places, you might have got that tooth fixed for $135.

Hope you get your pucker power back soon.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #11
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
It must be the Vicoden ... this can't be real ... you're offering to switch hit? I mean I know I am completely amazing, but I turned Sheldon straight?

Hotcha!
Oh baby! All of a sudden I just want to play sports, bang women and drink beer! Oh wait. It's me again.

Bring on the boys! lol!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #12
Juniper
I know, right?

I just got back and found out things aren't as bad as I'd feared. It's only gonna cost me $1700 to do the remodeling work. (sigh)

How's yours going, Wolf?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I am scheduled for extractions on April 17. I have no idea what this is going to end up costing me, but as it happens the nearby oral surgeon my dentist suggested is in-network for my really crappy dental coverage.

I have learned that my insurance does not pay for full anesthesia.

Has anyone had extractions done under just novacaine? How torturous is it?

My only experience with having teeth pulled was my wisdom teeth, and I was full under in a short procedure unit of a hospital for that.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
Pie
Gone and done

I had almost all my baby teeth out (some before their time) with only nova + nitrous. All the extractions were unremarkable.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #15
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I am scheduled for extractions on April 17. I have no idea what this is going to end up costing me, but as it happens the nearby oral surgeon my dentist suggested is in-network for my really crappy dental coverage.

I have learned that my insurance does not pay for full anesthesia.

Has anyone had extractions done under just novacaine? How torturous is it?

My only experience with having teeth pulled was my wisdom teeth, and I was full under in a short procedure unit of a hospital for that.
I had extractions done under just novacaine done when I was about 12... I don't remember it being that painful.

I recently went to the dentist because I have dental insurance now and it had been a LOOOOOONG time since I had been. Long story short, two cavities - one that is a possible root canal and deep cleanings every 3 months. Most of which is happening wednesday, 4/8.