The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-24-2006, 12:04 AM   #31
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

Seven year olds do not need to learn about homosexuals, and no one has the right to override the wishes of their parents, no matter how enlightened they fancy themselves. This is the kind of thing that only serves to create a backlash against gay rights. Believe it or not, it is possible to be opposed to this kind of thing, or gay marriage, and not be a homophobe or wish all gays herded into concentration camps and gassed. That kind of shrill, frantic, knee jerk reaction just sets back their cause even more and slams the door on any kind of sincere discussion.
Jordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:51 AM   #32
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon
Believe it or not, it is possible to be opposed to this kind of thing, or gay marriage, and not be a homophobe or wish all gays herded into concentration camps and gassed.
There is no non-bigoted reason to oppose gay marriage.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:42 AM   #33
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
There is no non-bigoted reason to oppose gay marriage.
That's exactly the hysterical attitude I mean, heterophobe.

Gays should come up with their own sacrament appropriate to their unique situation and stop trying to mimic a heterosexual sacrament by simply replacing "husaband and wife" in the ritual with whatever.

However, Civil Unions should be available to anyone.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:32 AM   #34
Ibby
erika

And IF civil unions and marriage were considered completely equal in every way by the law, that would be all fine and dandy. Not the [i]best[i] option, but better than nothing.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 03:59 AM   #35
Dee
Disorderly Disciplinarian

is it not better to teach children not to be prejudice against any one regardless of who they chose to take to bed. children are a lot smarter then most parent give them credit for, at the age of seven they probably know enough about how life works it would make you roll over and die.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:46 AM   #36
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Gays should come up with their own sacrament appropriate to their unique situation and stop trying to mimic a heterosexual sacrament by simply replacing "husaband and wife" in the ritual with whatever.
Wow, your State dispenses sacraments. [sarcasm] I can't imagine that becoming problematic.[/sarcasm]

I am actually no fan of public schools. My kids go to a Catholic school. There are far worse things going on in public schools than teaching tolerance, but if that's the thing that sets you off pull your children out.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:35 AM   #37
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
That's exactly the hysterical attitude I mean, heterophobe.
I'm heterosexual myself. It's not hysterical, it's factual. But i'm happy to be proven wrong. Do you have any reasons other than "it's against my religion" or "it's yucky"?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:39 AM   #38
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Seven year olds do not need to learn about homosexuals, and no one has the right to override the wishes of their parents,
There are gay parents, too...their wishes count as well. If you want your kids to receive education that comports with your religious beliefs, that's fine: send them to a private school.

But this is a *public* school. Anybody can go; everybody pays. Your beliefs don't get any more weight than anybody else's. You're not entitled to turn the curriculum into a fantasy land where things that you don't like don't exist.

You're entitled to believe in anything from the Invisible Guy in the Sky to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and live accordingly. But don't erase me and people like me from the public school library and then expect us to pay part of the bill.

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:39 AM   #39
MaggieL

Oh, while we're burning books. let's take Robin Hood out of the library too...don't teach our kids that terrorism is "normal and desirable".

Old 04-24-2006, 07:22 AM   #40
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieL
But don't erase me and people like me from the public school library and then expect us to pay part of the bill.
Then certainly we need to include felching and fisting for seven year olds as well. We don't want anyone to feel marginalized or that their sexual practices are anything except completely normal.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:43 AM   #41
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's real hard to imagine this sort of emotional reaction not having a psychological basis of some sort, innit?

You can tell us Jordon... did you suck a dick? It's OK, we're friends here and won't judge you.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:07 AM   #42
Flint
Snowflake

I've noticed that gay-bashers often seem to be obsessed with fetishism, and equate that to the defining characteristic of a person. Would it be "okay" though, if that person were heterosexual? "Hi, I'm Bill, I'm an executive at a reputable corporation, I have a nice home with an immaculate lawn, three lovely honor students, and I like to stick a red-hot poker up my wife's a-hole. Oh, and I hate gay people, because God hates gay people. Gay people are the devil. I'm not gay, by the way, if you were thinking that. I'm not."
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:33 AM   #43
Jordon
Coronation Incarnate

Typical of you types to drag religion into the fray first thing while I have never even mentioned it.

Let's look at some of the new texts for this fall's second graders:

Daddy likes it up the ass
Pappa's Prolapsed Rectum
Daddy loved sucking dick more than he loved me; (that's why he's all crusted over with Kaposi's Sarcomas)
One Dick, Two Dick, Big Dick, You Dick
Dykes on Tikes
The Fag in the Bag who wants to Shag
My Secret Friend who Lurks in the Restroom
The Leering Queer who gave me Beer
Old 04-24-2006, 08:52 AM   #44
Flint
Snowflake

If you meant me, or any other specific person, why say "you types"?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:19 AM   #45
MaggieL

Quote:
Then certainly we need to include felching and fisting for seven year olds as well. We don't want anyone to feel marginalized or that their sexual practices are anything except completely normal.
I must have missed the place where you were advocating teaching straight sexual practices to seven year olds. Or was that when the cops showed up?