The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

Horrifying gang rape & assault on mother & son

I don't know if I've ever been so horrified by what happened in an area so close to home. I had to post this.

I'd like to know your thoughts on trying these "boys" as adults versus juveniles.

Also, I don't know where to even begin with the psychological issues the victims will have to contend with for the rest of their lives...

Police arrest 3rd teen in rape

Quote:
Friday, July 13, 2007

WEST PALM BEACH — A third teenage suspect has been linked by a fingerprint to the vicious attack on a Dunbar Village woman and her 12-year-old son, during which the woman was gang-raped by as many as 10 school-aged assailants and forced to have sex with her son.

Police arrested Jakaris Taylor, 15, Thursday morning at his mother's apartment in the dilapidated housing project on charges that included armed sexual battery by multiple perpetrators, home invasion robbery with a firearm and wearing a mask while committing an offense.

"I'm just too upset ," said his sobbing mother, Jacqueline Minor, 32, after the arrest. "I can't deal with it."

The arrest of Taylor, who records indicate was a student at Oak Grove Academy, came one week after the arrest of Nathan Walker, 16, and nine days after the arrest of Avion Lawson, 14, whose DNA was found in a condom at the victims' home, police said.

Police said Lawson confessed to participating in the June 18 attack but Walker has not.

Taylor, who was first interviewed by police two days after the attack, initially denied involvement. He gave two additional statements in which he again denied any role, detectives said.

But when a crime scene investigator confirmed Thursday that Taylor's fingerprint was found inside the victims' home - near those of the other suspects - detectives arrested him.

He was picked up just as he was about to go to class at summer school, a family friend said.

Taylor admitted he was at the scene but later refused to speak about the case, detectives said. Like Walker and Lawson, Taylor's case is expected to be referred to a grand jury to ensure adult prison sentences if the boys are convicted.

According to police, the assailants tricked the woman into opening her door by saying her tires were flat, then forced her back into her home.

They allegedly raped her repeatedly, smashed a plate over her son's head, poured household chemicals into his eyes and forced them at gunpoint to have sex with each other. Friends say both are still in physical pain from their injuries.

The 35-year-old and her son moved out of Dunbar Village and have not told friends or relatives where they are staying. The woman is afraid because her attackers said they would find her and set her on fire if she told police what they did, her brother said.

The woman's father said the attackers poured ammonia on his daughter, a suffocating chemical whose gases alone can burn the eyes and lungs, in an attempt to destroy DNA evidence.

Family members said the boy now can see, though excruciating pain remains. Two days after the attack, the boy was immobile in a hospital bed, a 1 1/2 '-inch wound stitched across the top left of his skull and bandages covering both eyes.

The attackers did not seem to know the victims, who kept to themselves because the mother was worried that the neighborhood was unsafe for her son, police said.

Taylor, wearing dark green shorts and a black Michael Jordan T-shirt, smiled at the cameras outside the police station when reporters asked him whether he was guilty.

He was transferred to the Juvenile Assessment Center and will make his first court appearance today.

The arrest left Taylor's family heartbroken.

"I don't understand, I don't believe this," said Taylor's grandmother, Angela Bell, a few minutes after she heard about the arrest. "I'm so sick about this."

Police were able to match Taylor's fingerprint from the scene with prints already in their system from a Jan. 6 arrest on charges of aggravated assault and robbery by sudden snatching in West Palm Beach.

Police said he was among five assailants who attacked two men at Datura Street and Rosemary Avenue, knocking them off their bicycles as they rode home from work.

Minor, his mother, sent him to live with his grandmother on Windsor Avenue so he would stay out of trouble, said a family friend who spent Thursday by Minor's side but refused to give her name.

Taylor is an eighth-grader at Oak Grove, a school in Riviera Beach for students with behavioral problems, according to the family friend. He played youth league football and basketball and was known as a joker who apparently got "hooked up with the wrong crowd in Dunbar," the friend said. His family, including a younger brother and sister, moved to Dunbar from Boynton Beach about three years ago, she continued.

Having heard the police were asking about her son, Minor initially brought Taylor to the police station herself, the friend said. Minor has cooperated since the beginning of the investigation, police said.

Minor has been arrested eight times in Florida on charges that include fraud and making a false statement for public aid.

Taylor's father is deceased, the family friend said.

Investigators are awaiting results of tests done on other evidence from the crime scene.

"We're hoping more of it will come back and link to additional suspects," police spokesman Ted White said. "We've had investigators working 10, 15 and sometimes 20 hours a day, looking through evidence, waiting for it to come back and lead us to more arrests.

"It's been paying off."

After the attack, the mother and son walked several miles to the closest hospital for help. Not a single neighbor, some of whom HAD to have heard the attack through the paper-thin walls of the Section 8 housing, intervened or contacted authorities to stop it. All suspects are believed to be teenagers; the first one arrested was in middle school.

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Appalling crime. On whether they should be tried as juveniles: if they are juveniles, then they should be tried as juveniles, regardless of the nature of their crime. That they committed a horrific crime does not in any way change their age and likely level of mental/emotional development.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
jester
why so serious

this truly is a heinous crime - i don't know what your laws are concerning juveniles - my opinion would be to hold them in a facility for their age and when they become "adult" age - prosecute them as such. i know some people like to claim "products of their surroundings", but they still had a choice to make. it was the wrong choice.
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Appalling crime. On whether they should be tried as juveniles: if they are juveniles, then they should be tried as juveniles, regardless of the nature of their crime. That they committed a horrific crime does not in any way change their age and likely level of mental/emotional development.
Agreed 100%. We try juveniles differently for a reason, and it's not because kids never do terrible things.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime View Post
Agreed 100%. We try juveniles differently for a reason, and it's not because kids never do terrible things.
Ok, so if one of these "kids" is 15, lets say, he is tried and convicted at a speedy trial - serves the maximum we can sentence a "kid" to and is out on his 18th birthday after serving less than 3 years. You think thats justice?? Right?? Fair??
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
You think thats justice?? Right?? Fair??
No, but you know what they say: You can't make an omelet without raping some eggs.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 07-18-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
No, but you know what they say: You can't make an omelet without raping some eggs.
wow.

nice edit.

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Ok, so if one of these "kids" is 15, lets say, he is tried and convicted at a speedy trial - serves the maximum we can sentence a "kid" to and is out on his 18th birthday after serving less than 3 years. You think thats justice?? Right?? Fair??
Are we sure Florida law says 18 and out?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
Hime
Extraordinary Machine

Quote:
I don't know, because I'm not a child psychologist or criminal scientist. I doubt that you are, either. The people who decided that children should be tried separately from adults, were.

It seems likely to me that a 15-year-old could change a lot in three years separated from his friends, harmful family influences, and whatever drugs he was probably doing, with the help of therapy and treatment for any mental illnesses. People don't just come in "good" and "bad" flavors, they can be ill, confused, high, angry at the world, unable to understand right and wrong, etc. Many of these can be changed or treated. I'm not saying that the US criminal justice system as it stands is well-equipped to do that, but I think it should be.
Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
It seems likely to me that a 15-year-old could change a lot in three years separated from his friends, harmful family influences, and whatever drugs he was probably doing, with the help of therapy and treatment for any mental illnesses. People don't just come in "good" and "bad" flavors, they can be ill, confused, high, angry at the world, unable to understand right and wrong, etc. Many of these can be changed or treated. I'm not saying that the US criminal justice system as it stands is well-equipped to do that, but I think it should be.

So can an adult.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #11
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
I agree with this almost 100% but the problem is that prisons and juevy do nothing to change a person but just reject them from society which usually makes the problem worse.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #12
rennison
Kinda New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I do not agree with that............... The crime they commited was in no way juvenile and they were clearly mentally developed enough to pour ammonia over the victim in an attempt to cover their tracks............. Clearly some thought went into this crime
rennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #13
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennison View Post
I do not agree with that............... The crime they commited was in no way juvenile and they were clearly mentally developed enough to pour ammonia over the victim in an attempt to cover their tracks............. Clearly some thought went into this crime
Hi and thanks Rennison.....but I think this has been covered in this thread about 15 times.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar rennison.

Yes, some thought went into why they did some of the things they did. But I don't think that part was preplanned. I suspect the sick bastards were making it up as they went along.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #15
Rexmons
- Kavkaz United -

i personally think they should lock all the guys who did it away until the 12yr old son turns 18, then they should let him execute each and every one of them.