The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-02-2003, 05:13 PM   #16
Dagnabit
High Propagandist

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah

Because all of that security is free right? The only thing that costs anything is fuel? No pilots get paid, they do it for the love of their country. No security people get paid, they do it because GW is such an inspiring leader. No...
I think you'll find those people get paid whether they actually fly/provide security or not. Thus the concept of fixed cost versus variable cost, most of the costs involved in this trip were already fixed in doing the business of the country.

I'm sure you understand the terms fixed cost and variable cost since you're such a crackerjack smart-guy analyst.

For comparison there was recently an itemized list of 750 people that followed Bush to London. On this trip the security consisted mostly of ball caps and it seems like they got more done.

Q.E. fuckin' D., my man.

Quote:
Why do I bother?
Because you love getting 0nz0r3d!!!! F00l!

Last edited by Dagnabit; 12-02-2003 at 05:15 PM.
Dagnabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 07:04 AM   #17
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Right, and everything is fixed rate. You've never heard the term 'combat pay' either I suppose. I mean, all those soldiers get paid the same for sitting on their collective asses in the good old US of A as they do shooting people in other countries.

Oh, wait, that's entirely wrong. They do get different pay for combat.

But I'm sure nothing in the world is like that. Only soldiers...

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:20 AM   #18
juju
no one of consequence

We were discussing the costs of Bush's Thanksgiving visit, weren't we? Isn't that a marginally separate issue than the troops in Iraq?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 09:51 AM   #19
Dagnabit
High Propagandist

Dagnabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 12:06 PM   #20
quzah

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
We were discussing the costs of Bush's Thanksgiving visit, weren't we? Isn't that a marginally separate issue than the troops in Iraq?
Are you intentionally stupid? The statement was made that all costs were fixed. I pointed one example where cost is not and suggested it is quite possible that this is not the only case that exists. What's the confusion?

Quzah.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:48 PM   #21
juju
no one of consequence

You're pretty stupid for assuming I'm stupid. In fact, I just misinterpreted what you were trying to say.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:50 PM   #22
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Some one get me a price quote on what his two hour visit cost the tax payers...
About the same as the cost for Hillary's morale-lowering tour where she went to Afghanistan and Iraq and bitched about the war to the 100 troops that were duct-taped to their chairs for two hours.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:56 PM   #23
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
The statement was made that all costs were fixed.
Ok, educate me so that I can get up to speed. Where was the statement you refer to made?

The closest I can find is this:
Quote:
most of the costs involved in this trip were already fixed in doing the business of the country.
But he didn't say ALL costs were fixed, and in any case he specifically refers to Bush's trip.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:13 PM   #24
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar
All I know is that I was at work, watching the Purina Dog Show in Philly, and right as they were picking "Best of Show", MSNBC news kicks in with a special report that Bush went to Iraq.

I don't care. It doesn't change his intelligence or his policies or the fact that our guys are dying every day. Was it a nice gesture? Yes. But please. Such a big deal?? No.

Of course, once they came back from "ooo, ahh, big secret trip, hoo dee hoo..." the Best in Show part was over and some other fruity thing came on. So I MISSED IT! DAMN him and his "political coop" anyways! *stomps off, muttering*

(And, yes, I'm aware I typed coop. Joke.)
Well Said! I was thinking back to that day, and I recall wondering why they were breaking into programming for this. I pretty much shrugged the whole thing off and I thought, "Isn't this something he's SUPPOSED to do anyway?" (of course, I KNOW that it's not, but it just felt like he should).

So, I wasn't impressed. *shrugs*

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 04:55 PM   #25
Griff
still says videotape

My local paper ran pictures of twin imbeciles Bush and Hillary burning up my tax dollars for their political gain. "We care a lot."
Old 12-03-2003, 07:10 PM   #26
quzah

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
But he didn't say ALL costs were fixed, and in any case he specifically refers to Bush's trip.
Yes. In that context he said costs are fixed. He implied that the only thing that was paid for was the fuel. I suggest otherwise.

Quzah.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:05 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
It turns out Bush did meet with Iraqis, and it turns out he accomplished something with them. Columnist David Warren (via here):

OK the link said that followed by;
Quote:
Apparently, Bush got the talks moving
How is this apparent? He told them you can run the country while we remain in control or you can not run the country while we remain in control. Bottom line is we're staying whether you play ball or not. So this is some breakthough diplomacy? Horseshit, he told them what they've been told from the gitgo.
Like I said, he could meet with the Iraquis we already own.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:12 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Some one get me a price quote on what his two hour visit cost the tax payers...

Quzah.
Resonable request.

Blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda.............

Quote:
Yes. In that context he said costs are fixed. He implied that the only thing that was paid for was the fuel. I suggest otherwise.
Q, why didn't you just tell us what the costs are instead of all that nonsense?
Old 12-04-2003, 10:32 AM   #29
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Amusing article

Washington Post
Quote:
Exerpt:
White House officials do not deny that they craft elaborate events to showcase Bush, but they maintain that these events are designed to accurately dramatize his policies and to convey qualities about him that are real.

"This was effective, because it captured something about the president that people know is true, that he really cares about the soldiers and gets emotional when he sees them," Mary Matalin, a former administration official, said about the trip to Baghdad. "You have to figure out how to capture the Bush we know, even if it doesn't come through in a speech situation or a press conference. He regularly rejects anything that is not him."
"Accurately dramatize", eh?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 01:59 PM   #30
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:

What I see is that he said <i>most</i> of the costs involved in the trip were fixed. He didn't say, "All costs everywhere, including those not involved with Bush's recent trip, are fixed".