The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 01-06-2004, 11:15 AM   #31
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

What's scary is that I wrote about nun-munching AND I'M THE SETUP GUY.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 02:35 PM   #32
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Those old zombie movies make sense now.

When some people die and are exposed to a weird chemical, it induces a state of modified atkins dieting only satisfied by...

BRRRRAAAIINNNSSSSS!!!!!
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 02:50 PM   #33
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I thought about making a prank call to the Atkins center and asking if there a lot of carbs in boogers.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:21 PM   #34
wonderwench
Alpha Female

My husband is a Type I Diabetic, diagnosed a few years ago.

Type I Diabetes means the body no longer produces insulin, hence injections are needed to enable the body to metabolize blood glucose. Type Is who are at their proper weight levels can pretty much eat what they want, as long as they adjust their insulin.

Type II Diabetics still produce insulin, but their bodies have trouble using it properly. These are the folks who really need to watch their carbs.

There is a well-founded theory that Type II Diabetes is caused by too much carbs in the diet. Atkins might be overkill, an alternative is the Zone Diet.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:40 PM   #35
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i've been o nthe atkins diet since a week befor halloween, and it friggin works, radar.

i didn't weigh myself when i started, but iv'e tightened my belt 2 notches,( i THINK i've lost about 40lbs) and jinx says my circumference is noticably less when she hugs me. feels good, and it's really easy. I had not noticed the sudden voracity until you mentioned it, but now that you do...you're right. as i think about it, tho, it usually passes within 15 minutes if i'm too busy to eat. atkins reccomends that you not go more than 6 waking hrs before eating something. i carry those atkins bars in my brief case for these times, and usually eat one for breakfast in the car on the way to work......i stopped the caffeine too. that was a little tough, but worth it. caffeine fucks with your thyroid gland, i'm told, and when i quit caffeine, i got a sore throat for about 2 wks, but i'm all better now.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:07 PM   #36
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Kick ass. I'm on day number 6 of induction right now. I got those ketosticks from the pharmacy and I'm absolutely burning fat and no sugars. This is really good news. Atkins suggest you only weigh yourself once per week so I'm waiting until Saturday to see how much I've lost in a week. I wouldn't be surprised if I lost a pound a day.

Atkins seems like it will be very easy for me to stick with. I'm going to extend my induction all the way until my wedding day. It's going to be very difficult to not cheat on the diet while in Vietnam. Those guys can't just drink, they must drink excessively and peer pressure you to do it too. And it doesn't take much to pressure an Irishman like myself.

They've got great food, really cheap, and everyone will want to drink with me because I'll be the man of the hour.

I'm considering telling them if I drink I could die because I've got a serious diabetic condition. Heck, my wife and I will have to eat wedding cake!!! And while I'm concerned about the carbs, I'm even more concerned because wedding cake has been known to decrease sex drive in women.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:15 PM   #37
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

RUM = 0 CARBS
VODKA = 0 CARBS
TEQUILLA = 0 CARBS

MICHELOB ULTRA = 2.6 CARBS PER BOTTLE ( TASTES GOOD TOO)

DRINK UP!
Old 01-08-2004, 12:21 PM   #38
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Let us know if ba-moui-ba tastes as horrible as I've been told ... (I've seen cases discarded in the trash at my apt. complex, so it must be available for sale somewhere in the area, so I might find out myself).

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:23 PM   #39
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Let us know if ba-moui-ba tastes as horrible as I've been told ... (I've seen cases discarded in the trash at my apt. complex, so it must be available for sale somewhere in the area, so I might find out myself).
~pictures wolf perusing the dumpster~

Do you scope out what the people in front of you at the grocery store are buying too?
Old 01-08-2004, 12:32 PM   #40
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
Do you scope out what the people in front of you at the grocery store are buying too?
If you say you don't, you're lying.

Everyone does that.

When I was an immature highschooler, me and a couple of friends would go to the store several times around Halloween, buying apples and razor blades, just to see peoples reaction to it.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:53 PM   #41
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Hey now ...

It's a large, open dumpster. I don't move anything to get a better look into it, but when stuff is on the top ... also some items are more unusual than others.

Most of the time it's just big green plastic trashbags, but you never know when you're going to see an ankle poking out of one of those things ...

I do pay attention to what the person in front of me has at the supermarket. Sometimes the speculations as to the combos do get a little weird.

Shopping in the middle of the night at the all night grocery does cut down on this, by the way ... typically there isn't anybody in line ahead of you.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 03:10 PM   #42
Kitsune
still eats dirt

I've been reading Fat Land and have been amazed at what has changed in the past three decades concerning the food we eat, what is in it, and the politics involved. The book touches Adkins and quickly reviews the past four or five versions of it that seem to come and go every 15 years or so. It's certainly a good read.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 04:18 PM   #43
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

on alcohol and atkins

the following is from Low Carb Diet Tips and Basics , a really cool web site

Will drinking alcohol affect ketosis?

No and yes. The liver can make ketones out of alcohol, so technically, when you drink you'll continue to produce ketones and so will remain in ketosis. The problem is ... alcohol converts more easily to ketones than fatty acids, so your liver will use the alchol first, in preference to fat. Thus, when you drink, basically your FAT burning is put on hold until all the alcohol is out of your system.

This rapid breakdown of alcohol into ketones and acetaldehyde (the intoxicating by-product) ... tends to put low carbers at risk for quicker intoxication ... especially if no other food is consumed to slow absorption.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 04:22 PM   #44
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Re: on alcohol and atkins

Quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast
the following is from Low Carb Diet Tips and Basics , a really cool web site

Will drinking alcohol affect ketosis?

This rapid breakdown of alcohol into ketones and acetaldehyde (the intoxicating by-product) ... tends to put low carbers at risk for quicker intoxication ... especially if no other food is consumed to slow absorption.
BETTER YET!
Old 01-08-2004, 04:31 PM   #45
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Well Said. Alcohol interrupts ketosis and alcohols other than clear ones are usually high in sugar content, especially if you are drinking something with fruit juice like a Screwdriver, Bloody Mary, Cape Cod, Fuzzy Naval, Melon Balls, Sex on the Beach.... What were we talking about again? j/k

Wolf, I've already had 333 beer and I assure you, it tastes worse than piss. I had it on the flight into Vietnam from Japan last time. It took all my will power not to spit it out on the stewardess.

When I'm in Vietnam I normally drink Tiger Beer (From Singapore) or San Miguel (From the Philippines)

American beer is very expensive over there (imports), and local drinks can strip the paint off your car. I had a Vietnamese rice Vodka the last time I was there and it was a serious creeper. Tastes sweet and goes down smooth than the hammer hits you right in the skull.

The only time I've been too squeamish to try a new food was the snake blood (they've got an alcoholic drink made with snake blood and actual snakes in the container they pour it from) which is supposed to put lead in your pencil (could come in handy on the honeymoon) but this time I'm going to drink it just to say I didn't wuss out.

It's strange. Everything in Vietnam that is hand made by really good craftsman is super cheap, but machine made things are very expensive. It's the opposite of America. I get hand carved wooden (or metal) statues, backpacks, hammocks, etc. all for about 1/100th the cost in America. I wish I had enough money to get involved in import/export. I know a lot of people who could make it very profitable.