The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-09-2004, 04:08 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

The Alamo

I just read the local review for the Alamo. It was mixed, and the biggest complaint was that the movie was chopped up to fit in 2.25 hours. The reviewers recommendation was to wait for the directors cut on DVD.

Anyway, with a president from Texas in office, it is not entirely unexpected that there is a White House reference in the review, and here it is.

Quote:
Thornton plays Crockett like Bill Clinton in a coonskin cap, as charismatic as he is formidable, using humor as a leadership tool.
Remember the Alamo! BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

The full review is at The Alamo
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 10:33 AM   #2
godwulf
Coronation Incarnate

Well, Crockett was something of a politican, I guess. I seem to recall reading that the Mexican officer's diary - the one that caused all of the stir when it was discovered, because it contained the information that Crockett and Bowie were not killed in the fighting, but were executed after it was all over - described Crockett as representing himself to Santa Ana as a representative of the Congress, on what we would call today a 'fact-finding mission'...downplaying, in other words, his role as a combatant. I don't know whether that was included in this film, but if so, that would certainly explain the Clinton reference.

"I do not, at this time, remember the Alamo."