The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 08-10-2004, 12:16 PM   #1
warch
lurkin old school

Boston

Anyone got a tip for a cool hotel/flat/BB/motel in downtown Boston? I like historic, a little funk is fine. Quiet is good. Clean is good. Independently owned is good. Target $120 a night or less is good, too. I dont need a pool or gym or even a TV. Walking/subway to good food is good! Anyone?
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:55 PM   #2
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I used to live outside of Boston a couple of years ago. The whole place was overwhelming to me and I hated nearly every minute that I was (sober) there.

There are a couple things that I do know that might help you though.

First off, I wouldn't look for downtown Boston to try to find something reasonably priced. I would look at the subway route and look for something close.

they call the subway "the tee", here's a map

The tee rail there is normally resonably clean, on time, and the conductors are not normally high on pot.

Ok, maybe they are but it doesn't seem to be a real problem.

I didn't see Revere listed on the T-rail station map but a search on hotels dot com produced a reasonably priced Hotel there.

It looks like a nice place not too far away

Also, you might want to check the status of what some of us call "the big screw" aka The Big Dig. It's a massive black hole project for the un-....er, a big project that will aid the flow of traffic in the city. They may be in your way at some point, might be a good idea just to see what is up...and where.

14 billion dollar union project

On the serious side, it can be a great place. There aren't a lot of places that I remember visiting, but if you have wheelbarrow loads of cash and like cities, it's nice.

Oh, the Hancock building. That's one that I do remember. It's one of the tallest buildings in Boston and the view is awesome. The elevator ride up was interesting.

Have fun....BYOB

slang
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 05:14 PM   #3
warch
lurkin old school

Hurray for transit! Thanks for the tips Slang. I'm not headed there till this March. So Ive got some research time. Any other tips welcome!
Old 08-10-2004, 09:22 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh, you'll never return,
No, you'll never return,
And your fate will be unlearned
Poor ol warchey
You will ride the subway,
'Neath the streets of Boston
You'll be the Cellarite,
That never returned!
Old 08-10-2004, 09:53 PM   #5
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
That never returned!
It's possible but that wouldn't be from foul play.

I'd be more worried that they may like her enough not to allow her to leave. Anyone that hates Bush will find immediate friends there.

Conversely, if you actually like Bush...........
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:57 AM   #6
glatt

If you have any interest whatsoever in history, you will love Boston. There are tons of churches, meeting houses and old places like Fanuel Hall. You may want to brush up on your Revolutionary War history a little before you go, so you can appreciate seeing the places where things like the Tea Party and Boston Massacre took place.

Boston is a town with character, kind of like San Francisco. So many cities in the US are just carbon copies of one another. Boston is not. In the old downtown, it's very difficult to get around by car, because the streets were designed for horses and pedestrians 300 years ago. Don't even try driving downtown. Park outside the city and take the T in.

I can't tell you about hotels, because I always did day trips there or else stayed with family.

Boston also has all the usual modern stuff you will find in most major cities.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:39 PM   #7
warch
lurkin old school

I wont get lost...much! Anyway, lost is how you have the best adventures. Bruce, you're doing the papa bear. That's sweet.
I'm a big history geek, so I'll love any and all chances to wander around. I was in Boston once, in the 80s. I went up there to check out MIT with a guy I had a huge crush on. Remember old Myers, UT? (Ha! doomed from day1 relationship. anyway...) Freaked me out when it also turned into a mandatory trip to the Mary Baker Eddy mothership Wednesday meeting house.

I just remember being impressed by how many schools there were there: BC, Tufts, Berkely, Harvard, MIT, BU, and others I'm sure. Oh, and I remember good radio stations. I would love to go to a game at Fenway, but no such luck in March. I didnt get there last time either. Just looked at the green monster from the street and sighed. I really want to go to the Isabella Stuart Gardner museum. (Where the big Vermeer Heist was.) To see what's still there! (There is plenty)

Still open to your suggestions for places to flop in Beantown.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:16 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I use to walk by the Isabella Stuart Gardner museum a couple times every day on the way to class and back. I think it was 2 months before I realized it was a museum. It looks like a typical student housing apartment building, converted from a private house. It's only a couple blocks along Ruggles St and The Fenway from Huntington Ave, where one of the main trolly/subway lines runs.
Also a few blocks down Huntington, toward the Northeastern U. and Copley Square in the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. MUST SEE. They have an Egyptian collection(mummies,jewelry,pottery) and an Oriental collection(fabrics,screens,scrolls,netsuke) that'll knock your socks off. I know you'll love the fabrics.
Boston Common and the Public Gardens next door, by the State House on Beacon Hill is worth a look see. They built a parking garage under the Common by tunneling so they wouldn't tear it up. When it was all done somebody said, "Hey, what happened to all the dirt?". Seems the contractor sold it to landscapers for about half a bazillion bucks. He was clean because nobody had thought of it as anything but an impediment.
I haven't lived there since the 60s, so I can't be much help with where to stay/how to get around, but Boston is a pretty cool place. Even "way back when", between all the colleges, universities, business/technical schools and nursing schools, there was well over 100k students. I think Boston U. has 50k alone, now.
Oh, if it's still there, on the second floor over a fish warehouse, next to Faneuiel Hall, is/was a resturant called Durgin Park. Long tables with checkered cloths, water pitcher at the end of the table (Hey, pass the water), sit next to whoever (paupers and princes), waitresses that hustle ( Look out, comin' through, hot stuff), sawdust floor and great food.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:14 AM   #9
warch
lurkin old school

Oh yeah, the gardens! In March I will be desparate for some green, any green, squeeky daffodil green. And it made me smile that you said netsuke. Of course you know from netsuke, youre the doo dad king! There was a terrific show of some fine old pieces here at the MIA a few years back. Amazing in detail.

Food tips much appreciated! thanks man.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:55 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Boston, will love you too.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:02 PM   #11
atomic
Neophyte-in-training

For Eating (& Drinking):

The B Side in Cambridge just outside Central Square on Hampshire St. (Actually, there is a nice B&B somewhere on Hampshire street too. Can't remember the #, but it's a yellow house and probably only has 4 rooms or so. Anyway.) The B Side is a "diner" sort of with home-style food on the high end and excellent drinks, some with humor of a sort. Like, Shlitz in a can. It's laid back and all the waitstaff have tattoos everywhere. Not much attitude, though, I swear. It's packed on Friday nights and quieter on Saturday nights. It's a good place to actually meet people -- Boston is not a friendly town for the most part, but The B Side somehow lends itself to talking to strangers. Oh and they serve free hardboiled eggs with hot sauce as bar food. Smart.

The Enormous Room smack in Central Square, over Central Kitchen. Central Kitchen is good for a nice quiet low-light dinner and wine. The Enormous room is couches and rugs to sit on with a DJ on weekends at least. They have middle eastern style food. The menu says "trust us" as they do not give too many details. Trust them. It is good. They used to have a hostess (not sure if she's still there) that was fun to watch. She'd pranch around in absurdly short mod dresses and bend over a lot. All eyes on her ass is pretty funny.

Pho Republique on Washington St. Good red mood lighting in the gay area of town. People are friendly and very, very drunk. They have OMG the Best ribs in Boston (it's an appetizer) and if you're lucky, the cold noodle and tuna meal is to die for. The drinks are pricey but damn fine. Raspberry Lime Rickeys and Lemongrass martinis.

To see some "real" Cambridge, drive by (or even go into) The Middle East which is also in Central Square. Seeing as I've spent exactly 3 minutes on this site so far, I have no idea what kind of person you are, so I can only tell you what I think of the place. It's got three stages for bands from tiny tiny to rather biggish in the basement. The clientele is sort of hilarious in a Trying Way To Hard kind of way. They all think they are being individual in matching black hair dye with short short bangs and whatever. It's not a friendly place to hang out so much, far too much attitude. But they do serve food and if you're looking to see some live music, this is the place. (Or TT The Bear's, which is right around the corner and has the same sorts of folks.) I'm too old to put up with it, but it's out there.

In Harvard Square, There is The Hong Kong which is Cheesy done just right. Go upstairs to the bar, do NOT eat in the restaurant on the first floor. The bar is 1/2 Keno bar, 1/2 hilarious with scorpion bowls for two. (Also do not bother with The Hong Kong in Faneuil Hall. See below.)

Also in Harvard Square, there is Mrs. Bartley’s Burgers which is a college hang-out (for Harvard) but they have like 40 different burgers to choose from so it’s worth the squeeze.

As someone who lives here, I'll give it to you straight: Boston is not all that. It's uptight, even if it is mostly Democratic, and it's obnoxious. Everything on Newbury St. is overrated as far as food goes, (and in general, if you ask me) especially if they have outdoor seating. Legal Seafood? Also totally overrated. Faneuil Hall is only for tourists and people who call Boston "Beantown." The bar scene downtown tends to be sort of uptight deodorized career girls and their frat boys, especially on Friday nights. I really recommend going to Cambridge instead, but you might want to pop into Top Of The Hub downtown (it’s a restaurant on the top floor of a high rise that sways if the wind is strong enough, or if the martinis are strong enough) for a $15 martini and to see the view.

However, Chinatown has some good spots for fast-paced Dim Sum and the grocery stores there are Sweet. Also, if you are interested in shopping at all, pack a snack and some water and wear comfortable shoes. Hop of the T and head to Park Street. Get out, cross the street and follow the people to Filene's. Go DOWNSTAIRS. To Filene's Basement. If you are willing to look, you can find all the clothes they have on Newbury St. plus a ton more and better for 1/2 and more off. Filene's Basement and Mashall's are the only places I shop for clothes.

What else. Don't stay in Revere. You will feel like you are a million miles out of town. Shoot for Cambridge or Brookline and you’ll be able to find a nice little B&B and not be far from the city at all. (Although, warning, Brookline is on The Green Line of the T, which is the oldest running line in the Country and BOY CAN YOU TELL. Most of it is above ground and it stops at every intersection. Painful and slow.)

Now. You say you want some history while you are here, and I guess for that you are coming to the right town. We do have The Freedom Trail but if you ask me, SNORE. Apparently The Duck Tours are fun. You can catch one on Boylston St. which is one street over parallel to Newbury St. at Copley. They are ½ land, ½ water tours. We also have The Museum of Bad Art somewhere.

If you feel like getting out of the city at all, there is always Salem, which is a 25 minute commuter rail ride (from North Station on the T maps). Salem actually seems to have a lot more to offer tourists than Boston. They have witch tours and houses and museums and pirate museums and The House of Seven Gables. It’s cute and slower than downtown Boston and you won’t feel cramped for space. We just bought a house and moved there and we’re loving it. The high school’s signage has a witch on a broomstick and there’s a Dairy Queen that is actually The Dairy Witch and that signage also has a witch on a broomstick, holding a soft-serve.

I’ll shut up now. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by atomic; 08-17-2004 at 12:11 PM.
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:18 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hey, welcome to the Cellar, Atomic.
Thanks for the input from the horses mouth.
Quote:
Boston is not all that. It's uptight, even if it is mostly Democratic, and it's obnoxious. Everything on Newbury St. is overrated as far as food goes, (and in general, if you ask me) especially if they have outdoor seating.
Ah, some things never change. :hafucking
Old 08-17-2004, 05:25 PM   #13
warch
lurkin old school

Atomic! I love you! Thanks so much.

From your descriptions of various social dynamics/attitude altitude, obviously good taste in food (!) and cheep shoppin, I shall feel guided. The lodging tips too. Welcome! Yea!

...hey, and if anything else comes to you...feel free.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:41 PM   #14
atomic
Neophyte-in-training

I've been thinking about it, believe it or not. It's so hard to find the good stuff in this town. It takes longer than a short trip. So let's see.

If you Do decide to check out Newbury St., and it is sort of worth it, just to see, You can start at the Public Gardens and work your way up the street. The Public Gardens end is Tres Chic and Expensive. Hello Burberry. (Which by-the-way, is like this town's Team Color. Yes, the plaid. It's ridiculous. You will notice quiicky, on this street in particular, that people like to look alike. The girls are all wearing the exact same outfit of low jeans, some one-shoulder type top, those 1/2 wrap-around rimless sunglasses and a cell phone. It's fun people watching for a while, but it gets a little old.)

Anyway, work your way up the street and at the other end you will find the college end with the skateboarders and the punks and the Virgin music store. If you cross the street and keep going, you will find (I think it's still there) a juice and sandwich place called The Other Side. Staffed by hipper-than-you college students who will serve up the carrot juice.

If, however, you take a left on Newbury St. before you hit the Virgin store and walk over a block to Boylston, you've got a few bars to choose from.

1) The Cactus Club is a mexican college-age hang-out with outdoor seating and strong margaritas.

2) 1/2 a block up, right past the Fire House, there's a bar that used to be called Barcode and is now called Dillan's, I believe. They have a totally cool secret-ish outdoor-patio around the side (go in to get to it). It is special because it's one of like, two outdoor bars in the whole town. (The other being behind Fenway across the street from WBCN at a place called Sofia's that has a more International crowd, salsa dancing and a rooftop bar.)

3) If you're standing outside Dillan's and look across the street past the chain fence, you'll see a place called Bukowski's that's good for some drinking.

Then of course there is the North End (DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE IN THE NORTH END) that is wall-to-wall Italian restaurants I mean on top of each other.

And if you're into that Irish thing, well, then you're going to Davis Square (on the red line on the T.) Actually, Davis Square is a pretty cool place to check out even if you're not into the Irish. It used to be dead and buried but then the T brought out a stop there and all hell broke loose. Everyone who wanted to live in Harvard Square but could not afford it moved two T stops out and it was The Paris of the 90's. They've got the hippie coffee house (The Someday Cafe) run by, well, hippies from Seattle, the Lesbian coffee house (The Diesel something or other) and the Starbucks that went throught quite a few broken windows when they had the gall to move in. Then they've got The Burren which is probably the best Irish bar around. No kidding and not touristy. They've got a back room for bands as well. Basic barfare. Nothing to write home about. Then, THEN there is Redbones which is down the street you'd be staring down if you were standing outside with your back to The Burren. It's BBQ and I suggest you sit downstairs in the dark low room with the loud music and the weird neon art and eat some ribs. They will card you here even if you are 50 and have a beard. Ah, college town.

Edited to add that if you'll be wanting to see any theatre, like Blue Man Group, and are willing to do it last minute, there is a Kiosk on Boylston St. a little down from the Public Library towards the Public Gardens end of town that sells last minute cheap tickets to all the shows.

Last edited by atomic; 08-17-2004 at 06:49 PM.
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:02 PM   #15
warch
lurkin old school

Youre great! It looks like I will be there for about 5 days, working most of the time, but I'll need to get away and eat.
The things that sound the most interesting to me so far is walking the gardens, (actually, I love to walk), it allows me to checkout the architecture and people watch.

Secretish outdoor seating is always of interest, but I'm headed there in early March, so it probably doesnt matter. Burren- I am always up for a hardcore Irish bar. And Redbones- this BBQ joint sounds like my speed too.

Any chance you can find the name of the bnb on Hampshire street? I'll check some sites to see if I can peg it.

Thanks again, these are just the kind of things I was hoping for. If you ever find yourself wondering where the hell to go in Mpls or St Paul, MN....(ha) Lemme know. You can break out of the conventioncenterdowntown and find a few gems.