The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Respond to a thread on a different forum.

OK, peeps, let's not screw the pooch this time.
Respond only to a thread from a forum other than the Cellar.
It doesn't even have to be a real forum, it can be the kind in your head (you know who you are)
Under no circumstances are you to respond to any post in this thread.

I'll start:

I think you can get blood out of a clown suit with hydrogen peroxide if the blood hasn't set.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

No fucking way mate. You should totally be able to shoot through palisade walls if there are visible gaps in the wood. The guys that did so weren't xploiting.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

I'd prefer to see a tournament just before each international event so the hottest fencer in the country goes rather than the most consistent fencer of the year. You get steady results with the latter but I'd rather catch lightening in a bottle.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Rolling oranges is all good. Apples not so much as they bruise. I wouldn't have stopped them either
Old 05-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Oh man, that's perfect. That's what I've always wanted. 5 pounds, 400 watts? If I had $500 I would be on it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Can anyone ID this font for me?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

OMG this is the same troll we had on the cellar. Same troll same tune, same fricking name! I'd really enjoy an original every now and again.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Queen to king's level 1.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:47 AM   #9
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Me please! And I'm offering 100g Romney locks, rainbow died.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Yes, the photo is actual size.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Actually, primogeniture didn't come into Britain until the Norman Conquest. The Anglo-Saxon system
(and I suspect but cannot be sure that this held true for the pre-Saxon British), had a preference for
the king's/Chief's son, brother or nearest male relative, but the King nominated his proposed successor
during his lifetime and his nobles either confirmed or refused his choice. In essence Anlgo-Saxon kings
were 'elected' there was no assumption of the eldest son as heir apparent. The reality of kingship
during the early medieval period (6th-9th centuries which is where the Arthurian legends tend to be
placed) was that in order to be accepted as king and then to keep that acceptance and loyalty, that king
had to be able to impose his will and maintain the support of his nobles. (tribal leaders and early kings
are often described as 'ring givers' because they were able to provide for, and lead to glory in battle,
their kinsmen and nobles).

Even with the later adoption of primogeniture, succession was often contested with competing claims
deriving from various different competing lineages all merged together at various points through
intermarriage. At one point in England, during the mid 12th century there were two competing
monarchs, deriving their right to rule from two distinct lines, each with a support base, each crowned by
a supporting prelate. It is known as The Anarchy, or The Nineteen Years Winter.

Again, even with an heir apparent, keeping the crown and being able to act effectively
as a king was heavily dependent upon an ability to maintain the loyalty and support of the nobility. The
Earls and Dukes could bolster or cripple a king, and the relationship betwen king and noble was far
from simple.

TL/DR: medieval kings absolutely had to be able to keep the support of their followers. Weak kings
rarely had long reigns.

I'm looking forward to this programme. I love Merlin, it's a great show and does some really interesting
things with the legend. But this sounds like an entirely different beast. I see no reason why both can't
co-exist quite comfortably. They aren't really competing with each other, as they're doing very different
things.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

If you can get your doctor to write an actual prescription for the supplement, and let the pharmacy fill it (they would basically just be taking the product off the shelves and repackaging it,) then sometimes you can get reimbursement or even get it covered from the outset if your pharmacy takes insurance. But also keep in mind what kind of copay you may have, depending on your insurance--for us, for example, most prescription copays are $40, so unless a month's supply of the supplement costs more than that, it's not worth it. But you may also be able to get your doctor to write a combination prescription to be compounded (People's Pharmacy is a good place to get prescriptions compounded,) basically having the pharmacy create a multivitamin powder that would include all the right doses of vitamins and minerals you are taking in one container. The copay for that would be considered to be for a single prescription, but it might include enough products all in one to make the cost worth it. Keep in mind though that some supplements only come in liquid vs. powdered form, etc. Oil-based supplements (like omega-3s) are unlikely to mix well with others.

One thing we do is claim all our supplements as medical deductions on our taxes. To do that, you need a letter from your doctor stating that the supplements are medically necessary to store along with your tax documents, but you wouldn't necessarily need a prescription.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

If you have the money you can use fence panels or metal gates for a temporary enclosure but with little ones you may have to add chicken wire for security in both directions. A bunch of old pallets could do the job as well if you can find them.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Oh man, that's perfect. That's what I've always wanted. 5 pounds, 400 watts? If I had $500 I would be on it.
Yeah, they're doing amazing things with amps these days. I've got an EA head I bought 3 or 4 years ago. It's the size of a half sheet of paper x 2", weighs just a few pounds and puts out 300 watts through 4 ohms. Works great for my needs.

What make/model was being discussed?

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable