The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-29-2007, 08:48 AM   #16
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLJ View Post
If you are concerned about the price of gas, the simple solution is to use less - either by driving less or by driving a vehicle that doesn't need as much gas.
The obvious American solution is to add yet another vehicle to the family's fleet.

Quote:
With gas prices well over $3 a gallon nationwide, many drivers are lining up to buy small cars.

But hundreds of thousands of consumers aren't giving up anything to downsize. Instead, they are simply adding pint-sized transportation to their driveways, parked alongside their SUV or pickup.

In households that own a small car, the family fleet is close to an average of three vehicles, according to CNW Marketing Research, which tracks industry trends (the national average is just over two cars per household, and America was a one-car-per-family nation a generation ago).

These growing fleets suggest an approach to conservation that is more addition than subtraction. "Small cars are like a fashion statement," said Art Spinella, president of CNW Marketing.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:12 AM   #17
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
The obvious American solution is to add yet another vehicle to the family's fleet.
Kitsune, that's exactly what I did 4 years ago when I bought the Insight. I kept my truck for those days when we get 2 feet of snow and I have to go to work. I put an average of about 1,000 miles a year on the truck and 9,000 on the Insight.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:33 AM   #18
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Do you disagree with the article that it doesn't really make financial sense?

Quote:
"From a dollars and cents point of view, it doesn't make sense," said Jesse Toprak, director of industry analysis for Edmunds.com, a Web site that offers car-buying advice. "There's no way you're going to drive it enough to justify the purchase, so it's more of a psychological decision."
Depending on one's driving habits, it might make sense. Really, though, if you have a car, what is the point of also owning an SUV?
Old 05-29-2007, 10:13 AM   #19
HungLikeJesus

Kitsune - when I bought my Insight in 2003 I went through the financial analysis and figured that I wouldn't be saving any money (at least during the first five years while I was paying off the loan), unless gas went to $4/gallon. If I sold my truck (a Ford Ranger) the economics would have been positive at about $3/gallon, and I was planning to do that, but we have too many days where I wouldn't be able to get to work in the Insight. (I live in the foothills west of Denver at 7,800 feet.)

As you mentioned, the economic analysis really depends on what you're comparing. It might be tough to justify purchasing a new Prius versus keeping an existing SUV, but if your choice is purchase a new Prius vs. purchase a new SUV, the Prius will save money both in the purchase cost and in the operational costs. If you're putting 20,000 miles per year on a truck that gets 15 mpg at $3.30 per gallon, you'll spend $4400 per year on gas. If you drive the same mileage in a Prius getting 55 mpg, you'll spend $3200 per year less. If the incremental cost of the Prius over some period of time (say 10 years), including fuel and insurance costs, is less than the comparable costs in the SUV, then it makes economic sense.

But there might be other reasons, beyond economics, to switch to a small car. They're easier to drive, easier to park, and handle better. One thing that I like about the Insight is that it can go 600 to 800 miles on a tank of gas, so I spend less time at the gas station.

A Corvette driver once made a comment to me that the Insight wouldn't pay for itself, and I said "But the Corvette will?" I didn't understand his logic, because he didn't have any.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #20
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

2 years into truck ownership I do wish I had a car half the time. Commuting, the city, short trips, it's much easier to get around. But when I had the car, I wished I had a truck half the time. Hauling my bass gear, hauling big loads, running over rough terrain, 4x4 in bad conditions.

I think the answer would be to get a small car and an old used truck. Barring that, a really cool ute like the Infiniti FX.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #21
Flint
Snowflake

I've always had a van or an SUV for the purpose of hauling drum equipment and/or construction materials. I have found, however, that I can pack a full kit into my wife's Honda.

Construction materials are trickier; folding the rear seat down and using the trunk and cab together, or running 2x4s diaganolly across the cab can get some jobs done in a pinch, for others I have to borrow my dad's truck (my jeep isn't running).

My dad's truck, btw, is an extended cab, duallie Dodge w/ the Cummings turbo diesel. He has it specifically because he is moving back to the country when he retires and he actually needs it to haul tractors, bulldozers, etc.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:02 AM   #22
HungLikeJesus

Flint, I think that you have the right idea - own a small car and borrow a truck when you need it. I occasionally lend mine to friends who are moving or need to pick up some large or dirty object that they don't want to put in their car.

Does anyone still make something like the El Camino? I know that Subaru was selling something along that line (the Justy?). That might be a good option for Undertoad.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #23
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I will be leasing a Chevrolet Avalanche come fall. I will need the extra room and power and 4x4 since I will be living in the desert, fighting flash floods, high winds and drifting sand. I will be hauling trailers, large items and sometimes several passengers.

I chose leasing over buying because of the low miles I intend to be driving, lower payments, new truck every few years instead of the same old one, (hopefully) better dealer service and improvement of my credit rating. The last is told to me by my accountant who seems to know what he's talking about but I fail to see how. But what the heck do I know about financial stuff? All I do is balance my checkbook now and then, plan a monthly budget and watch my savings account.

My loved one likes the option of having the truck in cetain cases as well as having the spare around for when hers needs to go in for repairs. But she's more happy with her minivan. I hide when we drive in it. LOL
Old 05-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #24
HungLikeJesus

BrianR, not to get off-topic, but what will you be doing in the desert? It sounds interesting.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #25
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Barring that, a really cool ute like the Infiniti FX.

"What's a ute?"
Old 05-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #26
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
People who have issues with SUVs crack me up. Ill informed and narrow minded.
Nonsense. You need to connect the dots. The issue I have is with people who whine about paying a small fraction of the true costs of their vehicle at the pump. Next time you get pissed when some hippie flips you off in traffic, remember that your POS Hummer is a powerful symbol of your support for the Bush agenda. I am being subsidized in blood and taxes as well, but at least I acknowlege it and would prefer not to pass the cost on to someone else.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:08 PM   #27
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

A vehicle is not a symbol of support of any administration. Gas hogs have been around for much, much longer than the current one. They are status symbols for some, mere transportation for others. I know people on both sides. A single buddy who drives a Mercedes G-class to his office job everyday - serious gas sucker - doesn't give a rat's ass about the EPA numbers on his baby. To him, it just states "I make more money than you." I also have friends with large families. 5 kids and 2 adults will not fit into a Prius no matter how much one wants it to happen.

The gas prices may stay up and the public and automakers will adjust. Or, they could drop again. Compare gas prices of the late 70's and early 80's with those in the early 90's. Big difference. Either way, those who care about their care are going to drive what they want to drive and make adjustments in other areas of their lives.

The whining won't be permanent and it is not always from the SUV owners. I drive a car which gets 26 miles to the gallon and I complain about the price.
theotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:13 PM   #28
HungLikeJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post
... I drive a car which gets 26 miles to the gallon and I complain about the price.
Yes, but you're a Cantankerous Incantonator.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:14 PM   #29
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

And cheap.
theotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:27 PM   #30
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Nonsense. You need to connect the dots. The issue I have is with people who whine about paying a small fraction of the true costs of their vehicle at the pump. Next time you get pissed when some hippie flips you off in traffic, remember that your POS Hummer is a powerful symbol of your support for the Bush agenda. I am being subsidized in blood and taxes as well, but at least I acknowlege it and would prefer not to pass the cost on to someone else.
Pissed? Hardly, I just pity them for being stupid, uninformed and deluded.
Because the manufacturing was already in place for it, the H3 has a smaller carbon footprint, per mile, than any hybrid SUV.
Read that little fact in an article in here.