The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-18-2009, 02:58 AM   #61
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Another voice.
Quote:
S. Frederick Singer, who holds PhD in Physics from Princeton University, was a Special adviser to President Eisenhower on space developments, a professor of Environmental Sciences at the University of Virginia, and co-author of Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1,500 Years.

In this New York Times bestseller, authors Singer and co-author Avery present the compelling concept that global temperatures have been rising mostly or entirely because of a natural cycle. Using historic data from two millennia of recorded history combined with natural physical records, they argue that the 1,500 year natural sunspot magnetic waves cycle that has always controlled the earth's climate remains the driving force in the current warming trend. Man created carbon dioxide has very little effect on the earth's climate.

Since the 1,500 year cycle was discovered in the early 1980's it's general characteristics have been confirmed by measurements in: tree rings (living, preserved and fossilized), pollen, coral, glaciers, boreholes, stalagmites, tree lines, and sea sediments. The most recent cycles have been recorded in human history with forced migrations, starvation, and disease during the cold portion of the cycle and greater population, expanded farm land, greater crop variety, and extra building during the warm portion.

The causes of the 1,500 year cycle are not well understood although 600 of them have been identified in the last million years. This permits the authors to be relatively confident that we have been moving into the warm phase of the cycle for the last 150 years. It also suggests that we may have one or two degrees more warming if we are to get to the typical high of the warm phase.
I still think we should be doing everything we can to regain energy Independence on political grounds... now, more than ever.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #62
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I have to agree Bruce. It only takes one to examine the crisis over the dispute between Russia, the Ukraine, and the EU to see the extreme potential to manipulate others with the natural resources. Chavez's weak attempt to do that to the US was met with failure and he is now, thankfully, paying the price for it.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:03 AM   #63
TheMercenary

And now we have this:

President 'has four years to save Earth'

Quote:
Barack Obama has only four years to save the world. That is the stark assessment of Nasa scientist and leading climate expert Jim Hansen who last week warned only urgent action by the new president could halt the devastating climate change that now threatens Earth. Crucially, that action will have to be taken within Obama's first administration, he added.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...m-hansen-obama
Old 01-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #64
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Hansen is the leading climate scientist in the G.W. conversation. He's not really studied up on international politics though.

This bit is in his full interview linked from the article:
Quote:
Last week, however, Hansen revealed his findings for 2008 which show, surprisingly, that last year was the coolest this century, although still hot by standards of the 20th century. The finding will doubtless be seized on by climate change deniers, for whom Hansen is a particular hate figure, and used as "evidence" that global warming is a hoax.

However, deniers should show caution, Hansen insisted: most of the planet was exceptionally warm last year. Only a strong La Niña - a vast cooling of the Pacific that occurs every few years - brought down the average temperature. La Niña would not persist, he said. "Before the end of Obama's first term, we will be seeing new record temperatures. I can promise the president that."
I like predictions like that. We will see soon enough.

Not sure why the opposite effect, El Niño, is not blamed for global warming if La Niña is blamed for global cooling. El Niños have happened a lot recently. There was a particularly strong one in 1998 which is considered the warmest year in the last decade...

Also, Al Gore's movie told us that that G.W. will change ocean currents, not that ocean currents will change G.W. This was meant to tell us that localized cooling, which certainly does happen, is evidence of overall warming.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #65
TheMercenary

It will interesting to see what changes the new administration is going to foist onto an already crumbling industry in this country. There is still a lot of talk about carbon credits and swaps which I think is a bunch of goblygoop.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:00 AM   #66
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Czech president attacks Al Gore's climate campaign

Quote:
Czech President Vaclav Klaus took aim at climate change campaigner Al Gore on Saturday in Davos in a frontal attack on the science of global warming.

"I don't think that there is any global warming," said the 67-year-old liberal, whose country holds the rotating presidency of the European Union. "I don't see the statistical data for that."

Referring to the former US vice president, who attended Davos this year, he added: "I'm very sorry that some people like Al Gore are not ready to listen to the competing theories. I do listen to them.

"Environmentalism and the global warming alarmism is challenging our freedom. Al Gore is an important person in this movement."

Speaking on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum, he said that he was more worried about the reaction to the perceived dangers than the consequences.

"I'm afraid that the current crisis will be misused for radically constraining the functioning of the markets and market economy all around the world," he said.

"I'm more afraid of the consequences of the crisis than the crisis itself."

Klaus makes no secret of his climate change scepticism -- he is also a fierce critic of the European Union -- and has branded the world's top panel of climate experts, the UN's IPCC, a smug monopoly.
I don't know squat about this guy, but there seem to be more people willing to speak out about the possibility that Al Gore may be a fraud.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #67
TheMercenary

Gore had to reinvent himself. He had no choice. He basically failed as a politician in his own right so this keeps him on the lecture circuit and keeps cash in his pocket. Pretty good shtick if you can get it.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #68
classicman

I hardly think Al Gore was a failure as a politician. He was the VP for 8 years, and had along history prior to that. I think he's a bit extreme, an alarmist (maybe he learned that from the R's) and I disagree with him on a lot of things, but a failure? Did you see how much this guy makes? I don't think he could be considered a failure. Yes he lost against W, but there are a few who still believe he actually won that election.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #69
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I hardly think Al Gore was a failure as a politician. He was the VP for 8 years, and had along history prior to that. I think he's a bit extreme, an alarmist (maybe he learned that from the R's) and I disagree with him on a lot of things, but a failure? Did you see how much this guy makes? I don't think he could be considered a failure. Yes he lost against W, but there are a few who still believe he actually won that election.
I don't support those notions.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #70
classicman

ok then define "failure" in terms relating to Al Gore please. You may differ with his opinions, as I do in many cases, but a failure - how?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #71
sugarpop
Professor

Well global warming causes extreme weather and climate change, right? Isn't the argument that ALL weather will become more extreme, including colder temperatures in some places in winter? I'm not a scientist, so I don't know. I'm asking. I don't know what the science is, but I do believe in global warming.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #72
sugarpop
Professor

I like Al gore and I don't believe he was a failure.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #73
classicman

I dislike Al Gore and I don't think he was a failure.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #74
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
Well global warming causes extreme weather and climate change, right? Isn't the argument that ALL weather will become more extreme, including colder temperatures in some places in winter? I'm not a scientist, so I don't know. I'm asking. I don't know what the science is, but I do believe in global warming.
There is no question that the temperatures vary from warm to cool. The issue is how responsible are humans for that change, if at all.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #75
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
I don't know squat about this guy, but there seem to be more people willing to speak out about the possibility that Al Gore may be a fraud.
I think that is the same guy you posted earlier. If so, he is a quack....like Gore.