The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 05-13-2004, 01:20 AM   #1
pirate
Burn anything in 3 minutes...Guaranteed!!!!! !

Computer Problem.

I have a P2 300 and it is having a problem.

Just today i turned on my computer and it would go through the first screen, but after that, the screen went black, the cd rom made a couple of sounds and then it automatically restarts, it just goes over and over like that repeating itself. I think the CD Rom is stuffed and just ordered a new one, my FDD was also damaged for some reason and had to order a new one as well. If your CD rom and fdd is stuffed, can it stop your computer from booting propely?
pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 07:28 AM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yes and no - you can actually rule them out. Sneak into the case, pull all the cables connected to those things. When the system boots hit the Delete key or F1 to boot into the BIOS instead of letting the system boot normally. The BIOS is the thing that first comes up when you turn the system on. In the BIOS you can tell the system to boot directly from your hard drive, instead of from the CDROM or floppies. The BIOS will also recognize that the CDRom is gone, if you have removed the cables from it. Save the changes and try booting again. If it still chokes it's not those devices.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 08:28 AM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Some of the viruses & worms that are floating around will cause your computer to reboot a lot. If you don't have antivirus software, or if you have it and you have not been updating it religiously, then you should probably add this to your list of possibilities.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:54 PM   #4
pirate

What happened was that my 300 needs to stay on continuosly, bit stupid i know, but the power button is acting up, if you turn it off, it may not start back up, the computer works fine if you can turn it on, it just means you have to press the power button about 17 times before it comes on, it was on for about 4 days and my mum went to use it, it was totally frozen up, so i restarted it, and thats when the problem happened. Might be some more info?
Old 05-14-2004, 03:52 AM   #5
Yelof
neither here nor there

I had that prob. with my Mother-in-laws computer once. I just had to spray some silicone lubricant on the button and turn it on off a million times. The button had gummed up, if it is not that then your Power Supply unit is dying, they are cheap and easy to replace.
Yelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:56 AM   #6
pirate

Do you spray it on the button itself do you, or do you spray it on the connections behind it.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:59 AM   #7
Yelof
neither here nor there

The button itself, it was just staying stuck in sometimes this was causing the machine to go on and then reboot after a time as is normal if you keep the button depressed. This may not be your problem, but, assuming you take the power plug out of the wall, it can't hurt to work the on-off switch a bit with lube.
Yelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 04:01 AM   #8
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

"if you turn it off, it may not start back up, the computer works fine if you can turn it on"

I have the opposite problem. My computer turns on just fine, but once on it wont turn off. I can shutdown but instead of it completing the process and shutting the whole computer down, it just hangs there on "it is safe to turn off your computer" ....since it doesnt have an on/off switch at the back I cant switch it offf there....Have to switch it off at the plug.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 12:53 AM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Your problem is that you have a P2 300.

Your solution is to replace it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 01:03 AM   #10
pirate

Correction, I have a AMD Athlon 2.6GHz and I used to have a 300, my sis uses it, so I have to get it working
Old 05-16-2004, 11:52 AM   #11
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by pirate
Correction, I have a AMD Athlon 2.6GHz and I used to have a 300, my sis uses it, so I have to get it working
Now I am completely confused. Which computer has what problem?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 07:14 PM   #12
pirate

I have to AMD Athlon 2.6GHz, I have a secondary computer that my sister uses is a P2 300. The P2 300 is having the problem. I just wanted to define the point to the person said to replace to p2 300 to tell them i already have and i need to get my old one working
Old 05-17-2004, 04:46 PM   #13
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by pirate
The P2 300 is having the problem.
The first thing you did was verify power supply voltages with a digital meter. Also the signals on the green, purple, and gray power supply wires are correct. Until those are confirmed, then anything could appear as reason for failure.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote