The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Angry Those Poor Iraq Refugees!!

OH MY GOD!

Can we imagine? I am appalled. I am appalled at my own posturing about a war but really knowing nothing about the implications. There are so many casualties. The Iraq people themselves. I am greatly troubled buy this.

This is a clip I saw this morning on the Today show.

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?...e&f=05&fg=copy

I googled and found more startling facts.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19708787/

....continued exodus from Iraq, where 790,000 people left last year. Syria took in 449,000 and Jordan 250,000, the private refugees committee said.

How many years will it take to clean up this mess?

skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It's all part of Bush's strategery. Force the good Iraqis to leave, and then nuke the whole country! USA #1!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
skysidhe

I am now officially bummed.

The Ground Truth In Iraq.

The Ground Truth in Iraq is maintained by the Education for Peace in Iraq Center (EPIC) and is a part of the EPIC Ground Truth Project. Since 1998, EPIC has worked to improve humanitarian conditions in Iraq and to defend the human rights of the Iraqi people by advocating changes in U.S. policy.

What we haven't told you is the high proportion of Iraqi refugees who are female-headed households and unaccompanied women. With Iraqi men being killed off and kidnapped at alarming rates, many women find themselves not only refugees dealing with unimaginable losses, but also seeking work outside the home for the first time in countries with already high unemployment. In Syria alone, thousands of these women are smuggled, tricked or forced into prostitution. Some just have no other means of supporting their families

http://thegroundtruth.blogspot.com/2...rced-into.html

FYI

There is a pre written letter page to send to congressmen. All you need to do is sign it and send it off urging your congress people to help with the humanitarian effort there.

Go to the above url. Click on the link to the right. It's the second picture down. I would post the link for you but for some reason my personal information is still shows up on the url even after deleting cookies and closing the page.

Last edited by skysidhe; 07-11-2007 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Adding letter to congressmen page
Old 07-11-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I wonder how many of those female head of households are the result of the millions killed, at a steady pace, before we got there? And how many would have left before the war if Saddam had allowed them to go?

I seems every muslim country has a shitload of refugees in other countries, like they are prone to want to leave, for some reason.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Iraq was a primarily secular country under saddam.

Quote:
I seems every muslim country has a shitload of refugees in other countries, like they are prone to want to leave, for some reason.

Gosh, what can have provoked all those muslims into leaving their country of origin? In the 30s there were so many refugees from europe. Seemed like every european country had a shitload of refugee in other countries, like they were prone to want to leave for some reason.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Poor fella's.... "Let them eat cake."
Old 07-11-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Iraq was a primarily secular country under saddam.
Well, those in power were secular, but there were still plenty of Sunnis, Shiites, Kurds and some Christians that were devout and hated each other.
But what difference does that make? Millions still died and hundreds of thousands were tortured.
Quote:
Gosh, what can have provoked all those muslims into leaving their country of origin? In the 30s there were so many refugees from europe. Seemed like every european country had a shitload of refugee in other countries, like they were prone to want to leave for some reason.
Well duh, maybe because they've been fighting each other for thousands of years. Every country with a major muslim population seems to have more than their share of unrest from stifled segments of the population, or from neighbors, usually both.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I wonder how many of those female head of households are the result of the millions killed, at a steady pace, before we got there? And how many would have left before the war if Saddam had allowed them to go?

Probably mixed population but the number has grown to one in eight homes lost.

Not a good choice either way. I wouldn't like to choose between Sadam and the chaos that is happening now.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:17 AM   #9
Squid_Operator
[Radio Operator]

Yeah, the US is no stranger to killing civilians.

if Dresden and the second bombing-run to kill EMT crews rings a bell.
Squid_Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:46 AM   #10
rkzenrage

But, BushCo. says we be tha' good guys!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
Not a good choice either way. I wouldn't like to choose between Sadam and the chaos that is happening now.
Don't get lost in extremist propaganda.

When Saddam did not like some Kurd town, then everyone might be killed. Most in Iraq did not have reason to fear Saddam. Most Iraqis were not at risk. Even Kurds did regular business dealing with Saddam. Saddam was extremely ruthless with his enemies - not with all Iraqis. For example, Kurds were some of Saddam's biggest agents to violate the oil embargo. Whereas Saddam may have averaged 20,000 dead annually, American have created death rates far higher.

Under Saddam, people had electricity, sanitary sewage processing, clean water, intercity transportation, and security. Even those are no longer provided on a regular basis. Did millions of Iraqis flee their country under Saddam? Of course not. It was not a paradise. But it was good enough to stay.

Now millions flee Iraq because it is worse. Millions more flee to other parts of Iraq for same reasons. This is due to something that makes Saddam look good: Americans with the fool's political agenda of no "Nation Building". Those millions are victims of America - not of Saddam.

Good reason why thousands did not flock into streets to tear down Saddam's statue. Eliminate wacko extremist propaganda to comprehend a nation that feared it was only exchanging one dictator for another. Unfortunately, because of George Jr's repeated violations of both military doctrine and history, Iraqis got something even worse than Saddam. As even stated by Patton in that movie, the occupying power has 6 months to prove itself. Americans did the complete oppositie. Americans did zero for seven month creating high death rates, no utility services, no jobs, and eventually no security. That problem was apparent earlier in posts from Tobias. Frontline is quite blunt about why Iraq is a disaster in their one hour report [url=http: www. pbs. org/wgbh/pages/frontline/yeariniraq/view/The Lost Year[/url] at www.pbs.org. See the report to appreciate why wacko extremist propaganda forgets to mention who created the insurgency.

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose. So evident in Iraq created by totalitarians such as Bremer, Rumsfeld, Cheney, etc. No planning for the peace existed with the liberation of Kuwait. Therefore Saddam massacred those who rose up to rebel as George Sr encouraged. These same power hungry extremists did the exact same zero planning for the peace in 2003. As a completely predictable result, we have Frontline’s [url=http: www. pbs. org/wgbh/pages/frontline/yeariniraq/view/The Lost Year[/url] as proof of who created the chaos.

Where do you think so many artillery shells and munitions were obtained for IEDs? Americans did not even have enough troops to guard ammo dumps outside every city. But George Jr insisted enough troops were in country. Political agenda is more important than reality. America needed 400% more troops. Instead America reduced the number of troops.

Do you really think Iraq has gotten better since Saddam was removed? Only if blindly believing myths from lying politicians or Urbane Guerrilla. More numbers. Saddam was only killing 20,000 annually. Americans cannot even supply electricity for eight hours - except in the well lit and insultingly offensive green zones. Even inside those green zones, Americans are dying. Even inside Green zones, Americans must wear flak jackets. We call that safer? Wacko extremists do.

It is called "Whack-a-Mole". Deja vue Nam. Until Iraqis decide what they want, then war will only get worse. The enemy of my enemy is now my enemy. Welcome to Lebanon, Vietnam, Somolia, and Liberia. No outside force can force a solution on them no matter how often our wacko extremist lie.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:25 PM   #12
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to loose. So evident in Iraq created by totalitarians such as Bremer, Rumsfeld, Cheney, etc. No planning for the peace existed with the liberation of Kuwait. Therefore Saddam massacred those who rose up to rebel as George Sr encouraged. These same power hungry extremists did the exact same zero planning for the peace in 2003. As a completely predictable result, we have Frontline’s [url=http: www. pbs. org/wgbh/pages/frontline/yeariniraq/view/The Lost Year[/url] as proof of who created the chaos.
Props on the Joplin/Dead there.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:45 PM   #13
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Comparison:

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
In case you didn’t hear the AIF’s version of our current Ops:
National Reporting: (The World News Network posted a statement issued by The Islamic State of Iraq)
-AQIZ (ISI media department) Issues statement refuting CFs activities in Baqubah.
“The strongest kinds of explosives are awaiting them on the streets and in the allies. Snipers of the Islamic State of Iraq are going ahead hunting down dozens of soldiers. They are in control of the high-rise buildings, and ambushes and traps are awaiting them everywhere. The American Army, in spite of its numbers and equipment, could not penetrate the region except for a couple of minutes to film so as to sell the photographs to the lying media. It is during those few minutes that a great number of airplanes were downed. We are announcing this good news to the nation as the soldiers of the Islamic State of Iraq are basking in their victory in all parts of this and the rest of the provinces, while the Crusaders will not escape this fierce battle but with slit throats and a defeat, the likes of which has never been witnessed.”
4-2 SBCT Daily Intsum
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:46 PM   #14
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Contrast:

Dissecting for accuracy:

“The strongest kinds of explosives are awaiting them on the streets and in the allies(sic). [This was true: we lost a soldier to an IED. But our guys caught most of the bombs, in many cases when local Iraqis pointed them out. Others that remain hidden will be neutralized by our engineer and EOD teams in a thorough, methodical process that will continue until the city is cleared.] Snipers of the Islamic State of Iraq are going ahead hunting down dozens of soldiers. They are in control of the high-rise buildings [They were until our guys killed them], and ambushes and traps are awaiting them everywhere. [This was true: there were ambushes and traps everywhere. But our guys killed them, ran them off, or foiled the ambushes in nearly ever case. We did lose one Stryker and one Bradley.] The American Army, in spite of its numbers and equipment, could not penetrate the region except for a couple of minutes to film so as to sell the photographs to the lying media. [The penetration was persistent and pervasive and eventually complete, something captured on film by dozens of reporters who finally embedded for the initial days of the operation. A minor point: the military’s own photographs and videos are always available free of charge to media agencies.] It is during those few minutes that a great number of airplanes were downed. [Completely false.] We are announcing this good news to the nation as the soldiers of the Islamic State of Iraq are basking in their victory in all parts of this and the rest of the provinces [It would be dangerous for al Qaeda to celebrate here in Baqubah, or in Anbar, or up in Mosul, or down in Basra, or in Sadr City. In fact, they are running out of places to peek out from, let alone bask in.], while the Crusaders will not escape this fierce battle but with slit throats and a defeat, the likes of which has never been witnessed.” [There are many American soldiers on FOB Warhorse in Baqubah. They’ve extended their invitation for al Qaeda to come visit.]
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote