The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 03-31-2004, 09:48 PM   #16
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Has anyone seen Apple's dual display monitor setup? Damndest thing I have ever seen. Holy crap - you can drag windows and things from one monitor to the other. And the main monitor is the nicest monitor I have ever seen.

I had tears in my eyes as my wife drug me out of the store.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:59 AM   #17
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by Beestie
Holy crap - you can drag windows and things from one monitor to the other.
PC multimonitor support allows this... you can drag freely between the monitors, but when you maximize a window, it only maximizes to the monitor the window was occupying. The mouse cursor moves from one display to the other when you drag it past the display's edge.

The main weakness with the setup is the fact that you have to select a "primary" monitor... all of your dialog boxes will appear on this monitor, and it is the only monitor which will support overlay, so you can't play DVDs and stuff on secondary monitors. I like to throw a DVD on my side display sometimes while I work at home, but that means I have to set the side monitor as the primary, so all of my dialogs and stuff appear over there. I think some video drivers force the dialogs to appear on the same monitor as the program which spawned them, but mine doesn't.

Apple does have some damn nice flatpanel displays, though.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:06 PM   #18
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_pastrami
I think some video drivers force the dialogs to appear on the same monitor as the program which spawned them, but mine doesn't.
Oops, I guess I hadn't looked hard enough. After I posted that I poked around in my advanced display settings, and found the option. So I guess my only beef is the overlay issue, which is only a minor nuicance.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:16 PM   #19
jaguar
whig

Apple indeed does it very nicely, albeit with a couple of glaring bugs that wern't resolved last time I used it. The biggest is if you plug into one monitor that's farily high rez (say a 21" CRT @ 85Hz 1600x1200) then you go somewhere else and plug into a lower rez one, it doesn't compnsate and gives you a scrambled pic, I seem to remember I had hell resolving this. Apple's moniters themselves are now in dire need up an update though. There is talk of one soon.

I haven't used it since panther. My tri-monitor setup was OSX.

I find for learning, reading from a screen is hell but for reference material, data dictionaries, code snippets etc...invaluable. Anyone that works in finance has multimoniter setups as well, when you've got 200+ live reuters feeds you need it.