Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #16
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
Mrs. Kopplestein, who at the age of 13 taught me to appreciate fine wines, sunsets on the beach, and what it takes to become a man.

Kidding.
Mrs. Kopplestein was 13?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #17
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Bad idea.

Bad because it's wrong and tragic on two counts. First count, these small minded morons that fancy themselves as your peers (or worse, your betters) who's opinion may matter to you enough for you to modify your behavior or attitude toward teachers you might be inclined to like DON'T COUNT. Ignore them with impunity and give more trust your instincts about the adults in school. Difficult though it may be, you *can* ignore them with impunity, because they'll all be gone very soon. It will not matter what Georgie or Susie thought of your opinion of your teachers after graduation, or sooner, at the end of class. You may be incredulous, but I assure you it is true.

Bonus points for this one because you gain practice at ignoring the fools that surround you. This is a valuable life skill for the day that will come when you need to ignore the fools around you and no easy escape is possible. Get some practice in now.

Second count, and more importantly, indulging your interest in a teacher or a subject now could lead to liking it, and that could easily lead to lifelong rewards. It is not hard to imagine that you could learn more from a teacher you like as a result of your increased interest. There's very little downside here. You are "stuck" in school for the time being. But it's only "stuck" if you dislike it.

...What?

...I think you misunderstand?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:02 PM   #18
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Maybe. It's happened before and it'll happen again. Here's what I think I understand.

You're being wry about not being "allowed" to like any teachers while you're in school. I get that. I just disagree. You've been much funnier in other posts, much more incisive, much more insightful. I imagine you sense the peer pressure at your school, and perhaps you feel some compulsion to yield to it. But I don't get the sense that you place a lot of emphasis on other student's opinions. I think you're (mostly) mocking the other students, the status quo.

I don't have much to go on when it comes to your attitude toward your teachers at school. But I hope that should you find some that are interesting to you, and approachable enough to develop some kind of friendship with, some kind of "liking", that you wouldn't let some dumb idea like
Quote:
"You arent allowed to like (or, at least, publicly like ANY of your teachers while youre still in school."
stifle what could be a very rewarding opportunity.

You have read several examples (and some counter examples) in this thread of the positive impact a teacher can make on a student. I'm sure you know of some in your own experience, first or second hand. Be open to that.

If you were making a joke, it was weak and unfunny. If you were serious, you're just wrong. But perhaps I misunderstand. [/two cents] [/preaching]
Old 03-14-2007, 11:10 PM   #19
Ibby
erika

Naw man, I'm just makin' fun of teenagers (and, I guess, myself) in the way I have. I've actually got some cool teachers this year, and definitely have had some cool ones in previous years. I was just being wry.

Peer pressure? I feel none; I have no peers here, I'm far superior.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:17 PM   #20
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

That sounds about right to me.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:54 AM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
Nuh-uh. You arent allowed to like (or, at least, publicly like ANY of your teachers while youre still in school.
It's not just a good idea...it's the law. So make sure there a no incriminating pictures on anyones hard drive. And for gods sake don't brag to friends or tell Linda trippe.