The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

What are the Job Requirements for Being a Bank Cashier?

Because apparently being able to count is not one......

At the Pool's bank, I have to put all coins (even if there are only 5 of them) in the change counting machine before I bank them. When the machine is broken..... oh lordy....

The first time, they told me they couldn't accept my deposit. I told them, they damn well better, so I ended up visiting with the manager who manually counted them with her nail extensions. slowly.

A few days ago, the clerk was horrified to learn the machine was broken. I offered to stack the coins for her to make it easier. She didn't get how it would make it easier. She buggered of and got a coin counting frame. And still failed to stack the fuckers in there correctly. And she picked up the coins one by one off the flat counter with her fingernails (except for the ones I stacked). I coulda stacked and counted a thousand dollars in pennies in the time it took her.... the youth of today.... sheesh......
Old 06-22-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

As a former waitress in a greasy spoon, I am a whiz at counting and rolling coins of all realms.

The youth today just suck.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:26 AM   #3
GunMaster357
Professor

Same problem here.

Recently, our Minister of Education wanted to reinstate mental calculation in primary school. Teachers were saying that it is a trauma for children when they cannot find the answer.

I don't know if his decision is in effect.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
glatt

My 3rd grade boy just finished his 12s multiplication tables and is taking the extra credit quizzes now at school. He would have finished sooner, but for a couple weeks there, he just wasn't getting them. Then we did flash cards, and it clicked. And then just a few weeks ago, the quizzes stopped for a month wile they took the stupid standardized tests.

Last I heard, some of his classmates were still on their 4s. They are the ones who will be going into banking.

Last edited by glatt; 06-22-2011 at 07:44 AM.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
What are the Job Requirements for Being a Bank Cashier?
A pulse and a poor attitude?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
A pulse and a poor attitude?
Wow. You guys must all live in Meanland. Everyone who provides a service is mean and terrible.

Seriously, the tellers at my bank and its branches are all so nice! And the people at the BMV are friendly and efficient.

Maybe it's the smallish town thing. Maybe it's my undeniable charm.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Spexxvet

The nearest bank to this office has decided it can only make smaller bills out of bigger bills if you have an account with them.

BTW, Infi, a patient was in yesterday who lost her glasses in Dayton. She said the people were like children of the corn. Maybe she works at a bank.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
infinite monkey

They ARE like the kids o' corn.

Must be my town though. I've even always been impressed with garbage pickup. They'll pick up just about anything. I've heard a lot fo people in other towns/cities say that isn't nearly the case there.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

What does it mean to be a child of the corn??
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 06-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Our cashiers are mostly wonderful.
It's the bloody stupid rules the banks impose that makes things hard for the customers and therefore get the staff a hard time.

I am not allowed to make any cash withdrawals under £100 over the counter.
This is because they figure that's what the cashpoints are for.
However it also means that if I have £9.99 in my account I can't access it. Instead I have to go queue 20 mins at the Post Office. Why? it's my money, even if it's £1.25. And yes, I have drawn that amount out before and yes it made a difference at the end of the month.

That rule is to reduce queues.
Right.
Old giffers who cannot understand or hear basic questiond and people with complicated transactions on multiple accounts are what cause queues. Not me, card in hard speaking clearly and wanting to get out of there ASAP.

Also, it takes 5 working days for a check to clear into my account. Even Government cheques ie from HM Tax Office! I've taken them to Instant Cash places before. It's worth the £5 not to have to wait what is usually a week once you get down to it.

And also the bank I use to pay one of my creditors no longer allows you to enter a personal reference on the paying in slip.
I've no idea how they match the payment to the payee at the company now, but they haven't come back to me with a threatening letter so I guess they do. I keep all the receipts anyway. But that's really discourteous of the bank if you ask me. "No, we won't make a note of who is making the payment. Work it out yourself!"

We don't generally have coin counting machines here, Monster. It's done by weight. You have to fill a bag with exactly the right amount, it's then just weighed and passed at the bank. But only if you have a business account there. Children and charities can also change coins, but again, only if they bank there. Again, I find Post Offices the best bet, because they supply local business with bags of change. It's quite draconian though - NO MIXED COINAGE and you must have the exact amount in each bag (ie £1 of 1p = 1 bag, £10 of 20p = 1 bag).
Old 06-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Our cashiers are mostly wonderful.
It's the bloody stupid rules the banks impose that makes things hard for the customers and therefore get the staff a hard time.

I am not allowed to make any cash withdrawals under £100 over the counter.
This is because they figure that's what the cashpoints are for.
However it also means that if I have £9.99 in my account I can't access it. Instead I have to go queue 20 mins at the Post Office. Why? it's my money, even if it's £1.25. And yes, I have drawn that amount out before and yes it made a difference at the end of the month.

That rule is to reduce queues.
Right.
Old giffers who cannot understand or hear basic questiond and people with complicated transactions on multiple accounts are what cause queues. Not me, card in hard speaking clearly and wanting to get out of there ASAP.

Also, it takes 5 working days for a check to clear into my account. Even Government cheques ie from HM Tax Office! I've taken them to Instant Cash places before. It's worth the £5 not to have to wait what is usually a week once you get down to it.
And also the bank I use to pay one of my creditors no longer allows you to enter a personal reference on the paying in slip.
I've no idea how they match the payment to the payee at the company now, but they haven't come back to me with a threatening letter so I guess they do. I keep all the receipts anyway. But that's really discourteous of the bank if you ask me. "No, we won't make a note of who is making the payment. Work it out yourself!"

We don't generally have coin counting machines here, Monster. It's done by weight. You have to fill a bag with exactly the right amount, it's then just weighed and passed at the bank. But only if you have a business account there. Children and charities can also change coins, but again, only if they bank there. Again, I find Post Offices the best bet, because they supply local business with bags of change. It's quite draconian though - NO MIXED COINAGE and you must have the exact amount in each bag (ie £1 of 1p = 1 bag, £10 of 20p = 1 bag).

This I don't get. With instant electronic everything they should be able to see cleared checks right away. I think it's a ploy by banks to eke a little more interest off the money.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #13
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I think the meant "unsophisticated"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Corn
Old 06-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
infinite monkey

I think he meant zombie-like and scary.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

rubes or scary rubes?

Either way, it's not good.

—James Barrie