The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Put it in the front yard and plant flowers in it. Maybe the township or neighbors will be annoyed enough to take it.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #32
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Get a Pump , Make a Fountain !!!!
Carol wouldn't let me do that with the last Toilet I changed , but i think it would Look FAAAAAAbulas in Yer Yard !!!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #33
glatt

I'm going to try putting it out with the trash tonight. If they don't take it, I know that once a month, you can drop off inert trash, which is stuff like old concrete, broken bricks, ceramic tiles, and things like that, for free at a county facility. That would require me stripping the guts out of it first. They use it for some kind of fill or pavement ingredient.

Or worst case scenario, I smash it to pieces and put a little bit in the trash each week for a month or so. That might be kind of fun. Get the kids involved. Give them some safety glasses and gloves and a hammer each and let them go to town.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #34
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Just be careful glatt - That porcelain shatters and is sharp as all get out.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #35
monster
I hear them call the tide

Donate it to a charity shop hidden in a bag full of clothes

We have the Re-use center where you can take old toilets and things like that.

http://www.recycleannarbor.org/?modu...D=reuse-center

and a Habitat for Humanity ReStore:

http://www.h4h.org/restore/

We are lucky in our little hippie enclave.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #36
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Around here, if it's not broken, you just put it by the curb on trash night. The trash pickers will take it.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #37
glatt

When we got rid of our old kitchen sink years ago, I called habitat for humanity, and they didn't want it. They only wanted new fixtures, because they thought it was too much trouble to deal with old stuff that might be broken or need special set ups, or whatever. I can't imagine anyone wanting a used toilet.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #38
monster
I hear them call the tide

You'd be surprised. Think slum landlord. Tenant trashes the one in your rental, you're not going to fork out for a new one when you can get a used one for a fiver, are you?
Old 02-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #39
classicman

Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one.

I've always wanted a slide out trash can cabinet in my kitchen to fill a hole where there was once a trash compactor. I'm not willing to pay upwards of $200 for what looks like a cheap setup. Getting an old one also afforded me the opportunity to work on a project with my son, something we used to do quite often. 2 weeks ago an ex- neighbor's home which was foreclosed upon was being renovated. They removed all the cabinetry from the kitchen. It was the same style as mine - (solid oak face) I needed a 15", but there were none. So I asked if I could have one of the others and got an 18" cabinet in very good shape. I didn't want to purchase a new one for three reasons; no match readily available, the cost and it wouldn't look right having only one brand new.

So ... to do this right I needed to accomplish/acquire a few things.
1) Purchase new door front to match.
2) Fabricate internal drawer setup for trashcan.
3) Dissemble WITHOUT DAMAGING cabinet
4) Cut existing 18" cabinet down to 15"
5) Reassemble
6) Install drawer system
7) Sand and finish cabinet face
8) Install new cabinet
I used the hardware from the old cabinet and reinstalled it at the bottom to use as the drawer slider system.

We've been working on this together for the last couple weekends and we have now gotten to the critical point of installing the refurbished cabinet ...
Thats the plan for today.

The issues we've run into so far:
1) The company that made the door-fronts I have is apparently out of business.
2) I cannot find 2 trashcans to fit (1 for trash and the other for recycling).
3) The handles that I bought 6 years ago when I redid the rest of the kitchen are no longer available.
4) There is a 2x4 mounted behind where the cabinet needs to go.
Because there was no cabinet there the original installers mounted it to hold up the counter top.

So today we are going to cut out a notch in the back of our cabinet to go around the 2x4 and get this thing installed.
For the rest - - - Internet, here I come!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #40
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Sounds like a worthwhile project!

I had forgotten about this thread or I would have been posting my projects. Let's see, there's the privacy fence I installed using used fence panels and new posts and hardware. Turns out that my Weim figured out how to escape and has been doing so regularly. And has been endangering my neighbor's chicken flock in so doing. Since I cannot afford to replace the fence with new wood (much stronger) or chain link, I have been settling for spot repairs and installing an electric fence. Let's see how long it takes him to suss out THAT!

I have also put a new window in my bedroom. It was quite dark in there and the house has poor ventilation due to lack of windows and poor placement of those I do have. I found a perfect window at the Habitat reuse store for fifty bucks. I called a handyman for help (couldn't do it alone) and we now have a nice window above our bed that opens and admits a nice breeze that cools and airs out the entire house. For privacy, I put stained glass vinyl appliques on it.

Other projects include installing two ceiling fans, new cabinets above the washer/dryer for more storage and soon a new, larger front porch. The interior stuff is pretty much complete at this point, at least until it's renovation time so I will soon be turning my attention to the yard and landscaping.

I have soil similar to Big Sarge's. I want a lawn, flower beds, ornamental shrubs and a driveway. I *will* have these things. But, I know nothing about gardening. So I'm taking F3's advice and taking a gardening course in the area geared to beginners and which will teach me all I need to know to get started.

So I will be laying out the beds, building the raised parts and generally preparing. Other outdoor projects are an ongoing fence replacement as money permits, installing more fencing, a panel at a time as money permits, a covered patio in back, a large enough doghouse to allow all my big boys to fit comfortably, tree removal and stump grinding, yard clearing and lot grading.

I get one break...the county is digging up everyone's easement to install a drainage ditch and I got the dump truck driver who hauls away the dirt to agree to dump a load in my front yard so I can fill in the low spots plus fill in the holes the dogs have dug in the back.

I may have to resort to sodding the back yard as the animal traffic will kill new grass before it gets established. Time will tell.

I really need to remember to get out the camera for these things!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #41
classicman

Got the cabinet installed. Perrrrrfect fit!

Ordered the hardware online this am from a closeout site. Yes Big V, I ordered a couple spares of both sizes this time as insurance.

Now I need to find bins that fit - I am having zero luck with this. Ideally, I would like two that are about 26''H x 11"W x 10"D or one that is 26"x 11 x 20"

Oh, and a door front manufacturer. The original is, in fact, out of business. bummer.
Using a local custom guy/company is gonna throw the cost outta whack, I'm afraid.