The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-10-2002, 11:26 AM   #136
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

SoE is a raw adrenaline rush, and you paid $20 less than I did. There are HORDES of used copies of this game out there, for a very simple reason -- 95% of those who bought it expected it to be Grand Theft Auto 3 1/2, and were dramatically surprised when it didn't have a quarter of GTA's depth.

It's got more in common with, say, Dynamite Cop/Die Hard Arcade than GTA, apart from a shared sick sense of humor. A raw beat-and-blow-em-up that's good at what it is. (Hints: When you're running low on health, the best way to replenish it is to grab a billy club and plow through a crowd of security guards. Each one you flatten drops a health and/or time powerup, and you get double value for hand-to-hand attacks. The point total goals seem hard to reach at first... until you figure out that when you walk up to the front door of a building and pump in a grenade-launcher shell, good things happen. The sword is useless. Spanky rules the earth.)

I had some mild motion-sickness problems with the Last Clone Standing mode, which only one other game has ever done to me (Gex: Enter the Gecko). Major camera whiparounds. I didn't feel it in the regular Chaos modes, however.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 11:37 AM   #137
dave

Well, Best Buy is having a sale so a lot of the games are cheap cheap cheap I was thinking about getting it a week ago at $50; I'm glad I waited

Anyway, IGN is my best friend (not really), and I read all their reviews, which I find to be pretty spot-on. I know what to expect from SOE - they say very plainly that it is not GTA3, and that's alright with me. I haven't played GTA3 in weeks still - like I said, I got burnt-out from it 'cause I was playing it SO MUCH. Even so, I'm down with the sick sense of humor - that's something that I share as well. It looks like it will be a jolly good time and that's what I was looking for, so I picked it up.

I'm really not into buying used games unless I can't avoid it. Lots of times you can get great deals, but there are also some lemons out there. I got Mortal Kombat Trilogy for my original PlayStation from FuncoLand and it was scratched and didn't play right. Ever since then I've pretty much tried to stick to brand-new games.

Well, let's see if I can list off all the PS2 games I've got right now. This list has changed a lot in the past few weeks.

Twisted Metal: Black
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
ATV Offroad Fury
Red Faction
Metal Gear Solid 2
Grand Theft Auto 3
Virtua Fighter 4
State Of Emergency
Devil May Cry
DOA2: Hardcore

and Fatal Frame is sitting at my house, but it's Andrea's. She just doesn't have a PS2 to play it on, so she plays it at my house.

Anyway. I want to go home and play around. But I still have hours of work left. Ugh. I should do it and make the time go faster. Which I think I will. Weee.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:08 AM   #138
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

If you have a CD-burner, a Dreamcast and an ounce of nostalgia, you owe it to yourself to try DCStella.

My wife was somewhat impressed by many of the DC games I've obtained, but she openly salivated when she saw it running Yar's Revenge, Adventure and Haunted House. (I married well.)

To my pleasant surprise, it even runs SUPERCHARGER titles like Dragonstomper and Communist Mutants From Space! I had them all already (thanks to the Stella Gets A New Brain compilation CD), but this is just icing on the cake. It doesn't support paddle-controller games yet, but there's always the next version...
Old 05-15-2002, 01:25 PM   #139
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

A sad note

The Xbox is now down to $199, matching the PS2 and the Gamecube.

And I _still_ don't want to buy one.

(When I take out the cross-platform titles and series and look at exclusives, the only games left that look interesting to me are Halo, Wreckless (coming to PS2 later this year) and GunValkyrie. Even the future releases don't look promising -- maybe Shenmue II by Xmas.)

Not that the Gamecube looks much better -- right now it has Super Smash Bros. Melee, Pikmin, and, er... Pikmin?
Old 05-15-2002, 02:09 PM   #140
dave

Don't discount Super Monkey Ball. That game was retardedly fun when I played it, and I didn't even get to the Monkey Pool and shit like that.

Plus, the GameCube price has GOT to fall. Nintendo will have to cut it, probably to $149. I know they're saying they're not going to, but that's what they said back in the PlayStation/Saturn/N64 days too. To compete, it will have to be lower priced. It simply can't compete with PS2 otherwise.

Metroid Prime is really the game I'm looking forward to on GameCube. That and Soul Calibur 2, which is being designed around GameCube's controller.

Halo is seriously an unreal game. Its depth is amazing - the attention to detail will blow you away. Xbox is worth buying just for that. Especially at the $199 price.

If you already have a PS2 and are happy with it, then yeah, Xbox doesn't seem so great. But if you're looking at a next-gen system, Xbox has pretty good games so far and all the cross-platform games are better on Xbox. I'm pretty platform-agnostic when it comes to the big three - PlayStation was my favorite thing in the world, then Dreamcast... right now I prefer the Xbox simply because it plays better (no pop-up, slow down, etc). But I'm not a fanboy zealot type - whatever works best. Which is why I also own a PS2 and will be getting a GameCube whenever the price falls

Real big PS2 advantage - lots of games can be had cheaper than $30. GameCube and Xbox still have some catching up to do in that area. Also, now that PS2's controller and memory card prices have fallen, it's looking more attractive - Microsoft and Nintendo should respond with controller price cuts and cheaper memory cards.

Ah... it's a good time to be a gamer Now if only I had more time to waste...
Old 05-17-2002, 11:12 AM   #141
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

A few more quick Dreamcast reviews:

Street Fighter Alpha 3: Now THIS is a goddamn fighting game. 2D Street Fighter goodness mixed with a Soul Calibur-esque quest mode and tons of extras. New fun that feels old-school.

Mr. Driller: About the same as every other Mr. Driller version that's ever existed -- in other words, addictive as hell and fast.

DreamSNES 0.94: A homebrew SNES emulator that's a port of PC zSNES. Lags unless you turn the sound off, so it's best used for RPGs. (Not that that's a bad thing. You can have Chrono Trigger, FF2, FF3, Lufia, Breath of Fire et al. all on one disc.)

Namco Museum: The games are classics, the controls are decent for the most part, but how lame is it that they put six games on the disc when they KNEW they wouldn't have a DC Volume Two?

Neo Golden Logres: low-rent pinball sim, three tables, lots of Japanese. So-so.

Metropolis Street Racer: Nifty racer, though difficult. Win races, earn Kudos by powersliding through turns, marvel at the purty graphics. It's no Gran Turismo, but I can't handle GT's ultrarealistic handling anyway.

Evolution - The World of Sacred Device: Garden-variety RPG.

Evil Dead - Hail to the King: A steaming turd, and I wish that it was otherwise. Nice FMV, horrific control scheme, zero balance in gameplay.

Nightmare Creatures 2: A slight bit better than Evil Dead, but still mindless. Psychotic with axe hacks up zombies, simplistic controls, Rob Zombie soundtrack. Should be better than it is.

Sword of the Berzerk - Guts' Rage: The best of the hack-and-slashers I've played lately. Big dude with bigger sword, crossbow and arm cannon goes nutzoid on mutated enemies, spilling enough blood to fill the Metrodome.

Zusar Vasar: Older Japanese game, kind of a neat concept. Robotic animals pull mechanical chariots in a race and YOU get to drive.

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2: Your first reaction to the word "Sonic" will probably describe your response to these games -- either you'll love them or you'll recoil in horror. Platformers are an acquired taste.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:58 AM   #142
dave

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-919045.html?tag=fd_top

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAH.
Old 05-21-2002, 01:02 PM   #143
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

VICE VICE BABY.

We all knew GTA3 1/2 was coming, but it's always nice to see it confirmed.

In the meantime, since GTA3 for the PC shipped _today_ (though those with non-hefty machines may experience chuggage), I'm keeping a close eye on www.gta3mods.com. It'll be worth buying GTA3 twice if I can roll my own features the second time...
Old 05-22-2002, 08:57 PM   #144
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

DEMENTIA STRIKES.

Yet another reason that I have newfound love for my Dreamcast:

The Dreamcast, as you may know, works with Windows CE (which made PC ports a bit easier to translate over). Some demented soul out there in Internet-land thought "The DC runs a form of Windows. Quake has a Windows-native .exe. I wonder if I can port this over?"

And so, QuakeDC was born. The fact that I'm playing it at all is rather choice. (It uses the .pak files from shareware/registered Quake, so as to keep the lawyerbots from id happy.)

I twiddled with it for a while tonight, and worked out that the audio tracks (as .wav files) could be replaced without harm to the product.

I am now playing Quake on my DC with Sifl & Olly's "United States of Whatever" merrily blaring away in the background.

Life is good.
Old 05-23-2002, 08:40 AM   #145
dave

Post linkage. I'd definitely be interested in that. Since I own Quake, I could have the full version. Nifty.

Also, I agree with you about Street Fighter Alpha 3. Street Fighter has long been my favorite fighting game (as I am a mother fucking pimp with Ryu), and SFA3 for the Dreamcast is pretty tight. Admittedly, I prefered the PlayStation version, but only because of the controller. Thankfully, there are adaptors that allow you to use PS controllers on DC. So... Happy happy joy joy

Dreamcast really is a great console. Man I love my Dreamcast.

I also picked up a PSone and wow... it is <b>small</b>. I got it 'cause I knew it was smaller and I don't have room for my original PlayStation down here. Let me tell you though... imagine taking two DVD cases and laying one on top of the other. That's how big the PSone is. Maybe a bit smaller. It's tiny. Fits perfectly on my table. The only problem is that now I have like... 13 controllers laying around 4 for DC, 2 for N64, 2 for PS2, 2 for PSone, 3 for Xbox... good lord. And when I get a GameCube, that'll just be even more. Must have a system.

I've been spending a lot of time on Tony Hawk 3. I know, big surprise. Well, I'm quite a bit better than I used to be, and I now routinely get scores around a million points. That's pretty tight, I think, and it's just off vert tricks. My grind mojo is pretty good too I have a bunch of games which I need to get to, but I just lack the time. Hopefully this weekend (which is three days long - yeah!) will provide it. Really want to get into Shenmue - that tops my list.

Anyway, that's about it. I just can't break away from Tony Hawk 3. It's purely addictive.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:02 AM   #146
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

http://quakedev.dcemulation.com is the best source I've found. It has the non-id files available for download in .rar archives, along with some patch files (JoyMenu 1.3 is highly recommended, and it's a snap to add and compile as it's just an extra .pak file). UnRAR the files, add in your .pak files from PC Quake, compile and burn. (Then hope that your DC is old enough to be CDR-friendly. CDRWs will not work under any circumstances.)

www.dcemulation.com, krypt.dyndns.org:81/dcfactory and www.zophar.net are also good sources of information and source files for Dreamcast emulation projects. I have working Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Atari 800/5200 and Genesis emulators already, and will probably give the Odyssey^2 emu a crack when I get home. I haven't gotten around to compiling MAMEDC yet...

There are a handful of different ways of compiling QuakeDC, some of which are explained on the quakedev page. Non-self-booting versions are easier, but will require a boot disc (the Utopia Boot Disc v1.1 being the most infamous of these, which isn't too hard to find). Self-booting discs require a bit more file-hacking and I'm not going to try to explain it in forty words or less here. The Echelon self-boot tutorial (insert those words into Google for more) does a good job of explaining the process and listing the necessary applications.

Let me know if you need any help or advice (PM me with your email or something, so as not to put it out there for ye olde spamharvesters).
Old 05-25-2002, 12:16 PM   #147
hotdude729
Purple Monkey Dishwasher

Prices

Is anyone else pumped becuase of the price drops of the systems like Xbox PS2 and Gamecube. I am bc i might finally get an XBOX.

I also have a question about Microsoft and XBOX. Why is microsoft losing money on the xbox? are they that dumb or is there something that i havent heard

www.geocities.com/hotdude729

hotdude729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 02:54 PM   #148
dave

They need to sell at a loss to remain competetive (price-wise) with PS2.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:14 PM   #149
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Cool Happiness

Some of you might be familiar with Game Stop (or Funco Land, which is now Game Stop). I've always been pretty happy with them...good selection of games, reasonable prices. We have one near us at Franklin Mills Mall (about a mile away), which is pretty convenient.

Now it seems as if Game Stop is expanding like nuts. They've opened several new stores in local neighborhood shopping centers. A new one opens at the strip mall by my house in a few weeks...only 4 blocks away. Sweet! I'll be up there all the damned time.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 11:34 AM   #150
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

They don't carry PC games though, only consoles, right?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote