The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

ALS, Lou Gehrig's Disease

Tink's twin sister, M, has ALS, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Lou Gehrig's Disease. She was diagnosed last month after some increasing weakness and difficulty walking.

This is a tough disease, taking your muscles and leaving your mind. Nine people in Tink's family have died from the disease in the last two generations, M is number ten. M is putting on a brave face, no, that's unfair. She *is* brave. Tink is brave too. The terrible part is that there's nothing to do. Literally, no exercise. The doctor say *life* is her exercise. And there's some medicine, but it's pretty worthless.

You can live a long time with the disease, look at Stephen Hawking. Thirty years and still kicking. Well, clicking. I saw him deliver a talk once a few years ago. He was great. He spoke through his speech synthesizer, talking about his book A Brief History of Time.

But it is scary as hell. Tink watched her mother die in less than a year, and she lingered the longest. Her brother, J, was diagnosed two weeks before he died. That doesn't count the denial time, of course. But still it was like a bolt of lightning.

It's so tough and scary and discouraging. Her mom at first had trouble getting around, until she moved into the wheelchair. At first J had trouble eating and swallowing, until he got his feeding tube installed. They both eventually had trouble breathing and that was the end.

What will the future hold for M? Of course we don't know. Will it be two weeks? Two years? Or two decades? We're all hoping for the best, but we just don't know and that's the worst. Click the link. Join the group. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers. Please.

Here are a couple links

www.alsa.org

ALS group
Old 10-06-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Your family are all in my prayers
Old 10-07-2008, 05:26 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh V (and more inportantly Tink) that's such a hard thing to hear.
I'm sorry for the previous losses, and that M has been struck by something with such a such a poor prognosis.

I wish her all the best for the future, and for you and your family too.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:36 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

I'm sorry to hear that V. will do
Old 10-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
binky
all hollowed out

My mother in law died two years ago from a similar neurological condition. She was brave too, but it was awful watching her. It affected her speech first, then her swallowing muscles, so no more food, then her legs, and finally her breathing. Yhe worst thing was she spent her last two months in a nursing home and the hospital, because she had been very active up until the onset of symptoms, doing aerobics in her garage with a group of friends and walking her dog daily. She was 74 but still had a lot of living to do. My thoughts are with you and Tink, Big V, I know this is a tough thing to go through.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
glatt

Sorry BigV. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:35 AM   #7
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Sorry to hear that BV! What is the chance Tink will get it?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #8
Pie
Gone and done

Very sorry to hear that, BigV. I'll be thinking of your family.
Strength and courage to all of you.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
SamIam

I am so sorry to read your bad news, Big V. Life can be so tragic and unfair. You and your family are in my prayers.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
Tink
Why oh why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Sorry to hear that BV! What is the chance Tink will get it?
V has asked that I post the response to this question.

There is a 50% chance that I will get this. Just because one may carry the gene does not mean that one will get the disease. It is devastating to watch your family die one-by-one. They have difficulty breathing, eating, swallowing, walking, talking, holding things. My mother was beside herself as she could no longer give her children and grandchildren hugs.

The gene that my family carries is a known familial gene. The mutation of the gene is evidently a very aggressive one. That is why no one has lived beyond a year from diagnosis. I hope she throws that statistic right out the window on its ass!

I LOVE to exercise! I've recently added a bit of running to my treadmill routine. Do I stop? Exercise speeds the progression. If I stop and never get this.....well. If I keep exercising and am going to get this......well. It's a crap shoot.

Right now, my sister is being extremely courageous and I applaud her. I don't like to think of the "what if's" for me. Is this the last Christmas, the last birthday we will share together? I hope not. For her, her husband and her children..
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #11
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
BigV and Tink,
I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. My wife's dad passed away in 2000 from ALS. He stayed with us for the last couple of months of his life and he died at our home. While caring for him was emotional and difficult for all of us, it was something that we felt we were in a position to do and we both wanted to make him as comfortable as possible.

He was a non stop talker and the disease presented itself in his throat first, progressing fairly rapidly. At first he and his friends joked that he had "used up his life's allotment of talking." Ultimately it was very harsh for a person hell bent on communicating to lose speech and then the ability to type.

My heart goes out to you both, I know you have a lot more experience with this than most people, but I'm sure it doens't make it any easier.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm so sorry, for both of you as well as for your sister's family. My prayers are with you all.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #14
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I'll keep you and everyone in your family in my thoughts.

My last job shared office space with the Arizona chapter of the ALS Foundation. It's a good organization. They offer counseling as well as help with getting any equipment that might be needed, etc.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

kind of an update

M is declining visibly. Some of the medicine she was taking to retard the progression of the disease caused a serious side effect with her liver enzymes. Despite the fact that the degeneration of the muscle response was slowed considerably, she had to quit the medicine because of the side effect in her liver. Now she has a happy liver and the muscles deteriorate more quickly. Goddammit.

Her family is hanging together, but no one is ignoring the fact that this is a terrible situation. Tink has bemoaned the fact that our eldest son, away at college across the nation, can't/won't travel often enough, soon enough to see his aunt again. This wears very heavily on Tink.

Tink feels good, physically. This is a welcome change, due probably to the elimination of one big stress factor.

I have put my foot in it by saying it will all be ok. It will not be "ok".