The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #46
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Amazing so much silence on a major accomplishment. The George Jr administration literally destroyed America's space program by killing the Shuttles, created a boondoggle called, Constellation, Ares, and Orion, and almost killed Hubble. The fools even annouced a 'Man to Mars' without even consulting science. As a good MBA, he did everything necessary to destroy America and its economy for his own glory and emotions.

Then someone with intelligence came to power. Fixed America's space program. A milestone was a SpaceX launch of the Dragon capsule. Maybe three more private companies are also doing what makes America great. By not doing what is taught in business schools. And by undoing the disasters created by the George Jr administration.

America in the first decade of 2000 surrendered the satellite launch business mostly to the Russians and French. America has been surrendering science to overseas nations. We have only just started to recover from ten years of pathetic leadership. Dragon and SpaceX are simply one of many examples of how America is slowly clawing its way back.

Since Limbaugh and Fox remained quiet, then many did not even understand the significance. Surprising is a silence in the Cellar. Apparently few really understood a major significance of SpaceX and other ongoing projects.

Of course, innovation can take ten years to result in actual products. Those who see reality rather than spread sheets can appreciate why America could only be richer and healthier when we canceled a dumb 'Man to Mars' and Constellation / Ares / Orion. Trophies to the low intelligence of George Jr and his administration.

We are currently undoing almost a decade of America's destruction. Including other trophies such as Mission Accomplished and the protection of bin Laden.

Last edited by tw; 06-07-2012 at 03:52 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #47
glatt

Yeah, SpaceX was cool. I watched the docking live. The splashdown was very nostalgic too. It's been decades since I'd seen one of those.

I've touched one of the Dragon capsules.

It's funny that the spy agencies just gave NASA two telescopes better than Hubble because there is no way to get them into orbit now. So they were worthless to the spy agencies and they figured "Hey, why not give them to NASA?" I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that discussion.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #48
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
It's funny that the spy agencies just gave NASA two telescopes better than Hubble because there is no way to get them into orbit now.
So many politicians complained about the cost of Hubble and the upcoming Web telescopes. These same bean counters types even destroyed something like eight major earth science satellites, in part, because they might further prove mankind is creating global warming.

Meanwhile, the NRO has more expensive technology than they can launch. Because Americans cannot throw enough money at the military. But use MBA cost controls on anything that would do innovation or advance mankind.

Well, it was worse a decade ago. Honesty now means the NRO can admit to so many technologies bought and paid for at much higher costs. And sit unused. Because if we spend more money on the military, then people will love us?
Old 06-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #49
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Yeah, SpaceX was cool. I watched the docking live. The splashdown was very nostalgic too. It's been decades since I'd seen one of those.

I've touched one of the Dragon capsules.

It's funny that the spy agencies just gave NASA two telescopes better than Hubble because there is no way to get them into orbit now. So they were worthless to the spy agencies and they figured "Hey, why not give them to NASA?" I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that discussion.
They probably point the wrong way.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #50
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
They probably point the wrong way.
My understanding is that they are sitting in a wharehouse on Earth.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #51
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

'twere a joke oriented on the CIA's desire to look down and NASA's desire to look up.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #52
glatt

I figured it was a joke, but then the first time I heard this story, they didn't say the telescopes were in a warehouse, and I assumed they were in orbit, and I thought that was super cool. BUt then I later learned they were sitting in a warehouse and were just expensive paperweights. So, I clarified in case you had made the same initial false assumption I had.

Sorry for making you explain it was a joke.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #53
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

psh... I get that *all the time*. You're special, but not in that way.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #54
tw

Quote:
BUt then I later learned they were sitting in a warehouse and were just expensive paperweights.
They do not sit in warehouses. And are not the only 'defense' birds in similar storage. Many duplicates of so many defense satellites sit in secure clean rooms.

A difference from Hubble: its lens has a wider aperture.

Even flying is a 'secret' robotic version of the space shuttle. Unknown is how many of those are sitting is storage.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #55
Blueflare
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Going to America is definitely not the same as going to Mars...
The more obvious comparison is the international space station. The first people to live on the surface of Mars would effectively live on a space station, just, on the surface of a planet. And it would have to be a one way trip, because getting there and back will not feasible for a long time.
We send food and stuff to the international space station all the time. Mars is obviously WAY further but I think we would be able to do it. Meanwhile the scientists could begin the long, slow, difficult process of terraforming Mars. They may never get to come back, but they get to terraform Mars. And that is AWESOME. I refuse to believe that people cannot be found to sign up for that. I'd sign up if I thought I could be of any use.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #56
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflare View Post
We send food and stuff to the international space station all the time. Mars is obviously WAY further but I think we would be able to do it.
The ISS sits heavily protected by Earth's magnetic fields. No such protection exists on the years trip to nor on Mars. Years of human life cannot exist without that protection. Just one of too many reasons why mankind explores with machines; not with bodies.

Again, Man to Mars was a ridiculous idea promoted by ignoring scientists and realities. At this point, everyone should realize the best and most productive work is done by machines. Even astronomy not longer sends it scientists to the tops of mountains. Machines do that work.

The ISS is a classic example of $billions spent for almost a decade with zero science conducted. Almost all science in NASA's budget is done by machines. Unfortunately, due to so many manipulated by spin and emotion, we instead spend massive sums putting man in space. Therefore doing much less science.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #57
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
They do not sit in warehouses. And are not the only 'defense' birds in similar storage. Many duplicates of so many defense satellites sit in secure clean rooms.

A difference from Hubble: its lens has a wider aperture.

Even flying is a 'secret' robotic version of the space shuttle. Unknown is how many of those are sitting is storage.
There's quite a bit of "unknown" in that post, buddy.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #58
tw

How many space planes does the US Air Force have? Unknown. However one X-37B, continuously observed by amateur astronomers, is expected to be landing sometime in June.
http://www.space.com/15926-secret-x3...e-landing.html
Old 08-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #59
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Tonight is the night when, just out of curiosity, NASA gambles $2.5 billion
on a Look-Mom-No-Hands, one-time only, multi-stage descent to Mars.

CNET
by Dara Kerr
August 3, 2012

How NASA tests an against-all-odds Mars rover landing
Quote:
The space agency has dubbed Curiosity's imminent landing "seven minutes of terror."
And that's even after months of excruciating, exacting preparation.
It's not every day that you land a spacecraft on Mars, even if you're NASA.
And in the case of the Curiosity rover, hurtling toward a Mars landing
as Sunday night turns into Monday morning,
the space agency is tempting fate with a novel approach that involves
a big parachute, a specially designed winch, and some very high hopes.

<snip>
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #60
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
A chorus of cheers and applause echoed through the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory on Sunday night after the most high-tech interplanetary rover ever built sent a signal to Earth. Minutes earlier, it had been in a harrowing plunge through the thin Mars atmosphere.