The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #8176
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Took second place in the silhouette match today!
Old 06-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #8177
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

What is a silhouette match? Or should i already know?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #8178
Blueflare
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

I went for a 45 minute walk. Wish I could have gone for longer.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #8179
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
What is a silhouette match? Or should i already know?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalli...uette_shooting
Old 06-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #8180
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Great Rugby Match in the Bahamas. Only came out with a few cleat marks, a black eye, and a dislocated finger. Great fun. Can't wait til next year.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:03 AM   #8181
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Sounds about right, probably nothing illegal in all that. I hope you put that finger back in on the field of play!

(For non-Rugby peeps, at the professional level, that is often done, either by a medic or the player themself. )
Old 06-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #8182
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Mav had a dislocated finger once from playing footy in the yard with Aden. It was at Dad's place, so a little drive to the hospital, and we considered putting it back in ourselves, but decided to go the safe route just in case there was any kind of fracture. They offered to give him an injection for the pain when they put it in, but he decided to go without. In the end I think he made the right choice. Those needles hurt like holy hell if you ask me. lol
Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #8183
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Oh, and the thing that's making me happy today, which was why I came to this thread in the first place, is the wonderful friends I have in my life these days. I have always been lucky to have a couple of really good friends, and never really thought I'd collect more along the way, but there are a couple of really lovely ladies whom I've developed really special friendships with since we moved down here 4 years ago.

I feel truly blessed by them today. They are the ones keeping me going through what is turning out to be a really trying time.

I guess in some ways that old saying about when a door closes, someone (or god) opens a window somewhere. That's how I feel about these friends. They always seem to know when I need them and they bring a bit of light in when things seem really dark.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #8184
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Good for you Ali. That made me smile. Happy for ya.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #8185
Blueflare
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

I saw a film where the protaganoist (a writer) decided to really go for something, reject social norms and follow his dreams, though his dreams happened to be cliched and silly.
But the point is, I want to do the same thing. I feel inspired.
Every time I feel happy or inspired about anything I feel a sense of terror that someone will take it away from me, like the bottom could fall out of my world at any second, being comprised as it is of possibilities, and not realities. But the truth is that there is very little about reality that makes me happy anymore. Maybe it's only by following my dreams that I can improve my reality.
I dunno, I'm pretty ill today, I feel drunk but not in a good way, I may just have had the greatest epiphany of all time or these may just be the quixotic ramblings of a disfunctional loser who will never achieve anything.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #8186
Nirvana
Back in 10

Late yesterday a FB friend of mine from England posted that her friend had lost a little dog in a huge field in Blackpool. She posted mainly for others in that part of the world to be on the lookout for this Chihuahua. Anyway I suggested that they place an article of worn clothing by the owner out near where the dog disappeared. This morning I woke up to a post that they put a jumper in a box and the little dog found its way there.

A story told in my husband's family at holiday gatherings about their Mom losing her little dog in a farm field during planting. They told her to leave her coat and come back after awhile. She did and the little dog was sitting right on the coat.. I never forgot that story and I was happy to make use of it for someone else even if they were all the way across the world .
Old 06-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #8187
glatt

That's a cool trick! Well done.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #8188
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Very cool - never heard that one before.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #8189
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflare View Post
I saw a film where the protaganoist (a writer) decided to really go for something, reject social norms and follow his dreams, though his dreams happened to be cliched and silly.
But the point is, I want to do the same thing. I feel inspired.
Every time I feel happy or inspired about anything I feel a sense of terror that someone will take it away from me, like the bottom could fall out of my world at any second, being comprised as it is of possibilities, and not realities. But the truth is that there is very little about reality that makes me happy anymore. Maybe it's only by following my dreams that I can improve my reality.
I dunno, I'm pretty ill today, I feel drunk but not in a good way, I may just have had the greatest epiphany of all time or these may just be the quixotic ramblings of a disfunctional loser who will never achieve anything.
What's the worst thing that could happen if you did follow your dream?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #8190
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
Late yesterday a FB friend of mine from England posted that her friend had lost a little dog in a huge field in Blackpool. She posted mainly for others in that part of the world to be on the lookout for this Chihuahua. Anyway I suggested that they place an article of worn clothing by the owner out near where the dog disappeared. This morning I woke up to a post that they put a jumper in a box and the little dog found its way there.

A story told in my husband's family at holiday gatherings about their Mom losing her little dog in a farm field during planting. They told her to leave her coat and come back after awhile. She did and the little dog was sitting right on the coat.. I never forgot that story and I was happy to make use of it for someone else even if they were all the way across the world .
what a great story and a great trick! I'm making a note.

ftr, I'm not a fan of tiny dogs, like chihuahui. But I can see how their very low perspective could make a field of grass seem like an impenetrable forest. poor little guy. Nice work Nirvana!