The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 10-13-2003, 09:27 PM   #601
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Goddamn Bruce...you got 49! Blind Man's Zoo.

Slight, that's definitely not the first Sabbath CD.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 12:56 PM   #602
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Don't let the week go by without checking out the Jesus of the Week (if the link is working correctly, that's a jesus that I liked, rather than this weeks jesus. You can go directly to http://www.jesusoftheweek.com if you want to see the current one.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:12 PM   #603
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I like this one.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 06:07 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 10:11 PM   #604
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Guitar collections of the stars.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:20 PM   #605
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Well, that's cool, but I *know* these guys have more guitars than the site shows...Entwistle had an enormous collection of some of the coolest guitars on Earth.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:06 AM   #606
darclauz
Breathing into a paper bag

Just in case i'm NOT the only person on the planet never to have seen this:

http://img.tapuz.co.il/forums/20208414.htm
Old 10-17-2003, 04:41 PM   #607
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
Well, that's cool, but I *know* these guys have more guitars than the site shows...Entwistle had an enormous collection of some of the coolest guitars on Earth.
I know your right Els, I seen pictures of some of those collections.
Last week I noticed a Celler member online that I didn't remember seeing the name before. I clicked on his profile and went to his website. Spent quite a while checking out how he was putting a studio together and an awesome guitar collection. When I accidentally lost the link, I went back the the Cellar Home but he was gone and I couldn't remember his name.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:49 PM   #608
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

My buddy wst3 maybe?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 05:16 PM   #609
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

YES You da man, UT.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:45 PM   #610
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well if you want to take a look at Bill's gear, that can be arranged. But not too soon, he's just sold his house and must move all that stuff into a new basement!

Bill and I go way back as in he ran the radio station at my school when he was in his second senior year and me a dumb incoming freshman. We work projects together, we are the dynamic duo. I hired him a few years back and in about two weeks it looks like he may hire me. If anyone wants a complete walking IT department, we can be had as a team...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:27 PM   #611
daniwong
Vice-President of Resentment

You guys need a network engineer? My BF has been unemployed for months now......
Old 10-17-2003, 07:28 PM   #612
Elspode

Bill has some really, really boss guitars, man. The Mosrite Ventures model makes me drool. I came within a couple of hours of owning one of these once when I was a teenager. My stepmother was a high school girlfriend of one of the Ventures, and she was supposed to get him to score one for me...but something came up at the last moment, and by the time all was said and done...no Mosrite. Sigh.

I also have a tremendous woody for the Martin D 18 (even though I have a lovely D 28), and I have all the admiration in the world for anyone who can play Stick.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:48 AM   #613
wst3
Simulated Simulacrum

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
Bill has some really, really boss guitars, man.
Thanks!!! (The UnderToad pointed me towards this thread...)

Quote:

The Mosrite Ventures model makes me drool. I came within a couple of hours of owning one of these once when I was a teenager. My stepmother was a high school girlfriend of one of the Ventures, and she was supposed to get him to score one for me...but something came up at the last moment, and by the time all was said and done...no Mosrite. Sigh.
I've taken that poor Mosrite to the Philly Guitar Show several times with the intent to sell... but at the last minute I always chickent out!!! It was my first electric guitar, I bought it from the guitarist from Musica Orbis, a West Chester area band way back when<G>, and played it all through high school.

I still drag it out a couple time a year, and it just has this particular sound that I can't get otherwise. The fact that I play it infrequently is what drives me to sell it, the fact that I love the sound prevents me from following trhough<G>!

Same sorta deal with the Duolian... if I were a responsibe guy I'd turn it over to a collector who would appreciate the heritage and whatnot... but it sounds cool, so I keep it!!!

Quote:

I also have a tremendous woody for the Martin D 18 (even though I have a lovely D 28),
Funny how that works... my D-18 is from the late 70s, and I love it (except for the part where it ends up back in Nazareth every so many years for a neck reset - UGH! But, lately I've been really wanting a rosewood dread to compliment the magonany dread. This summer I played an incredible Santa Cruz while up in Maine, and after we settle on the new place my bride has promised me I can go out and buy one!!!!

The Pimentel is an interesting beast, for those so interested... it is a rosewood dread with a very long scale and a neck width more like a classical guitar. Makes it great for fingerstyle playing, not so great for doing the old CSN&Y thing!!!

Quote:

and I have all the admiration in the world for anyone who can play Stick.
Sorry to disappoint... that darned Stick is the toughest thing in the world to play!! I stink the place up with it. I haven't given up yet...

Bill
wst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 12:16 PM   #614
Elspode

I've never heard of the Pimentel, and the thumbs end up 404 when you click on them, so I don't really get a good look at it, but a wide-neck steel strung guitar sounds like heaven to me! I'm the short stubby fat-fingered type of guitarist who aches to be able to have a little bit of slop room when he plays. I can barely fit my fingers on the frets of a Ricky 12-string (whoever thought that making their standard neck into a 12 string would be a good idea needs to be beaten severely about the head and shoulders...Roger McGuinn must have fingers like pencils, man).

All of that lovely hardware (I just now noticed that you have not one but *two* Larivees) begs the question...how the hell can you afford such a collection?

Also, the mando, if I'm reading the tiny print correctly, says "Mid-Missouri" is the maker? Who and where the hell are they from? (being a Missourian and a folkish type musician, you'd think I'd have heard of them before).
Old 10-20-2003, 01:21 PM   #615
wst3
Simulated Simulacrum

Pimental is a really interesting builder, check out their site at: www.rt66.com/~pimentel

The father built classical guitars, quite well respected by the way, and one of the sons really wanted to build steel stringed instruments, and thus was born the instrument I have<G>!

I bought it for exactly the same reason you mentioned, I wanted more space for my stubby little fingers. A dread for fingerstyle is, sadly, a bit of a compromise though, and I have since picked up two much smaller instruments... the Larivees you noticed!

A thought or two about those, since they both have interesting stories:

I had sent the Pimental in for some minor work (I was able to afford it as the previous owner had broken the neck off, and the repair job was sub-par, no structural probems, but the cosmetics are bad. Anyway, when I went to pick it up the store manager handed me the OM to play while he went into the back to get my guitar. When he returned I called him a less than polite name, and added a deposit for the OM to the bill. It is that cool a guitar... took 5 seconds to know I wanted it.

The L-09 is even stranger. I had played it at a guitar shop up in Maine, but as I was about to get married, and was still paying off the ring, I decided I didn't need it. It sold the next day. Oh well.

Fast forward to our honeymoon, and we're driving around Maine, and we stop in at the music store, and the guitar is back. Fate? Well, my lovely bride decided that since we really had no idea what our finances were going to look like after paying for the wedding we might as well buy it... and it has thus been dubbed the honeymoon guitar! Both of my brothers have always thought that since the guy buys a ring, the girl should have to reciprocate... a concept all of our wives have laughed at... but this was pretty close!

Sorry about the site... I haven't really touched it since my son was born, almost 18 months ago... and then I simply added a bunch of pics of him (not too proud a papa!!!), and I think I deleted all the guitar pictures to make room!!!

The mandolin... Mid-Missouri makes some really great, really plain, really inexpensive mandolins. Not everyone carries them, but they are worth looking for! This was actually a 40th birthday gift from my family... I had been ranting for a bit about mandolins, so they figured they should get me one to mark the event.

Be forewarned... if you have stubby fingers like I do the mando is quite a challenge!!!

And no, I'm not ignoring the how did I collect this stuff question... just left it for last. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I was single till just a couple of years ago...

Being single meant I didn't have to explain my purchases to anyone, it also meant I wasn't supporting others, so I could be a little irresponsible. It also gave me the opportunity to work more than one job. I've done studio design and maintenance as a side business for over 20 years now, and it has provided me with a means to build my own studio.

And part of it has to do with just plain old dumb luck, you'd scream if I told you what I paid for some of those!!! Another amusing tale... back when Yamaha and Ensoniq were tryng desparately for floor space in music stores, my local dealer was ranting one evening about how great guitars were and how horrible all this electronic junk was, and how anybody with half a brain would rather buy a guitar. That particular evening I was looking at the Ensoniq piano module, which had a pricetag of around $500. The store owner asked me if I'd rather buy a guitar or the stupid little module... I replied that the Yamaha SA-800 was the guitar I was thinking about, but it was a lot more than the module, and he commented that I could have either one for the same $500. Well, that choice was pretty simple.

I went back the next day and offered to pay the balance of the difference, but he said no, he was ranting and he'd be more careful next time, but a deal was a deal. IT was nearly a steal!!!

The only other one I bought new is the D-18, and at the time the music store was owned by the father of one of my band-mates, who felt bad for me cause I had just had three guitars stolen, so even that was a pretty good deal!

Lots of guitars... lots of amusing tales...
wst3 is offline   Reply With Quote