The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

What is a reasonable length of time for a shower?

I've been the bad guy lately because I'm trying to get everyone to cut down on their shower time. Just trying to save a few pennies here and there, but also, the boys like to take 20 to 30 minute showers! They treat them like saunas. I take the shortest shower of them all...usually no more than 7 minutes. Now I start to get really ancy when their shower time starts to exceed 10 minutes.

I know my control freak is really showing here. What do you think is reasonable?
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Pie
Gone and done

Mine's about 15 minutes.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
glatt

Depends on how many people are waiting, how much time there is, and how big the tank is.

On the weekend, I'll take a nice long hot shower, maybe 30 minutes.

During the week, it's about 10-15 minutes.

I think once you get over 20, it's getting unreasonable.

When I was in high school, my brother would take long showers in the morning and use up all the hot water before I would get a chance, so I would go down into the basement and turn the hot water valve off on him when he was in the shower too long. I had to stop doing it to him though. He would return the favor when I was in there.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

30 minute bath. That's reasonable for me...As for your boys...10 minutes sounds like more than enough time to me.

I don't bathe every day either. I bathe every other day unless I'm especially dirty.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
glatt

Oh, um, how old are the boys? Some things in the shower take a little time.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I probably take about ten minutes, not including the time getting dressed and stuff afterwards. It's longer on days when I shave. Mr. Clod takes more like 15-20 minutes, but he does a full scrubbing regimen on his face that I don't have to do, and he gets distracted easily. Plus, I've learned over the years that the morning shower is an important psychological time for him, where he mentally goes over the day and such, and if he's rushed the whole day is guaranteed to be off for him.

But the kids... well, the stepdaughter used to take at least 30 minutes, but it wasn't deliberate, it was because she's always had a really hard time staying on task. I'd go in to check on her and she'd be just standing there staring at the tiles or something. She's gotten a little better as she's gotten older, and now at age 10 she probably takes about 20-25 minutes. The 6 year old boy is probably about the same. I think it depends on the age of your boys, but realistically there are some things younger kids just can't do as fast. It really comes down to whether they're just slow, or they're purposely luxuriating.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I think it all depends on your motivation.

If you're trying to reduce energy use, water use and cost, you need to look at the shower time and the flow rate. I take a long shower, but use the shut-off on the shower head to produce a very low flow most of the time (e.g. when I'm shaving). My wife takes a much shorter shower but has the water blasting, so we probably use about the same amount of hot water.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Oh, um, how old are the boys? Some things in the shower take a little time.
Oh God I know. This is why my husband hasnt really been helping me in this fight. They're teens.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I knew it!! 10 mins.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #10
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Shower time vs bathroom time.
I am amazed - really, honestly amazed - that anyone can spend more than 10 minutes under a shower. I mean it's not like you can have a book and a glass of wine in there!

Bathroom time - meh. Ex HM used to disappear for two hours. I made a joke about laptop/ bathroom time/ wanking and he was quite offended that I thought he'd do it in a public space. So lord alone knows what he was up to!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #11
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
I think it all depends on your motivation.

If you're trying to reduce energy use, water use and cost, you need to look at the shower time and the flow rate. I take a long shower, but use the shut-off on the shower head to produce a very low flow most of the time (e.g. when I'm shaving). My wife takes a much shorter shower but has the water blasting, so we probably use about the same amount of hot water.
Good idea with the shower head, but we currently have one that uses a filter in it to cut the chlorine. I hate taking a shower and it smells like Im at the 'Y'.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #12
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
They're teens.

I think I would STFU and count myself as damned lucky they're showering at all! Imagine the alternative!

Old 10-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #13
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post

When I was in high school, my brother would take long showers in the morning and use up all the hot water before I would get a chance, so I would go down into the basement and turn the hot water valve off on him when he was in the shower too long. I had to stop doing it to him though. He would return the favor when I was in there.
LOL! I've been tempted.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I think I would STFU and count myself as damned lucky they're showering at all! Imagine the alternative!

Ha! Not with my guys. D started taking a shower on his own everynight when he started getting interested in girls. G is a water baby, he loves it for its own self.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Five to ten minutes, depending upon whether I forgot if I washed my hair or not and do it a second time just to be sure.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote