The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 10-01-2011, 05:13 AM   #1
buttless
Eavesdropper

My thoughts on homophobia

Living and working in downtown Portland OR one can not swing a dead cat without hitting a homosexual. That being said I do not understand folks who judge a person based on sexual orientation. If that is how you form an opinion of a person you are REALLY missing a lot. I would like to think a person is more than what they do between the sheets.

The other side of this coin would be the gays and lesbians who hold their sexuality out as their identity. If their orientation is all they have to offer the world that is just plain sad. If this makes me a bad person so be it.
buttless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I agree with most of what you said there buttless. The only thing I'd comment on is to suggest that for some people, coming out of the closet has meant years of pain and suffering, and untold sacrifices. When you go through something like that, it's hard not to pin it on your sleeve.

Welcome to the cellar.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #3
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'm against swinging cats.

I think it's wrong.

In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
glatt

But if they are already dead, who does it really hurt?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
buttless
Eavesdropper

What about dead ones as I mentioned.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'm against dead cat swinging and live dwarf tossing.

But feel free to toss the dead dwarves.

In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 10-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I think popularising swinging dead cats will use up the natural supply of said deceased felines rather quickly. The prediliction can only then be satisfied by a wave of cat genocide.

Beware of the further consequnces of your suggestions.

One thing that always puzzles me about people that fulminate about teh gays is that they 1) assume it is a choice and 2) that it's so very tempting, even giving a male child a doll or letting him play with a handbag will be enough to turn him.

Coca Cola spend billions on persuading people a sweet brown drink is the ultimate improvement for everything from a hot day at the beach to a frosty Christian holiday. If only they knew that promotion and advertising was as easy as saying "I won't hate you if you do that little Johnny."
Old 10-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Living and working in downtown Portland OR one can not swing a dead HOBO without hitting a homosexual.
FTFY
Old 10-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

homosexuality is very tempting...at least to Right-wing Republicans and members (HA!) of the clergy. Those folk seem to be 'hard-wired' for it. As Jon Stewart so wisely said, (and I'm paraphrasing) those who preach the most rabid anti-gay message are ususally the gayest of them all.

—James Barrie

Old 10-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttless View Post
The other side of this coin would be the gays and lesbians who hold their sexuality out as their identity. If their orientation is all they have to offer the world that is just plain sad. If this makes me a bad person so be it.
I know what you mean, but look around any town, especially on a weekend evening, and you'll see that it's not just the gay folk that are like that.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #11
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

No kidding, Buttless just passed judgement on nearly everyone on the planet.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
JBKlyde
Banned

I thinks it's just a stupid thing to do.. you don't see animals who are homosexual.. and in case you haven't noticed sex is on of the things that's separates animals from humans.. humans are the only species who have sex for fun.. taking it to the extreme and having gay sex is just plain wrong in the nature of the animal kingdom. So what makes it right in the human race?? Honestly I don't know and don't care to know. It's S-T-U-P-I-D
JBKlyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #13
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

My dog blows himself any chance he gets. (when we aren't looking - he likes to hide in his crate to do it mostly). I imagine he does it because he enjoys it.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKlyde View Post
you don't see animals who are homosexual.. and in case you haven't noticed sex is on of the things that's separates animals from humans.. humans are the only species who have sex for fun.. taking it to the extreme and having gay sex is just plain wrong in the nature of the animal kingdom. So what makes it right in the human race?? Honestly I don't know and don't care to know. It's S-T-U-P-I-D
W.R.O.N.G.
Wiki link to show how widespread evidence is that you are WRONG. It's not a tiny footnote in a biologicial journal - it's a LONG article on Wikipedia about 24 species which are just cited as examples.

And no, of course Wiki is not a credible source. But I knew about lesbian tendencies in bonobo apes and gay giraffes (9/10 pairing are male/male) off the top of my head, so I figure the article leans towards accuracy.

Quote:
Petter Bøckman, the scientific advisor of the exhibition Against Nature? in 2007, speculated that the true extent of the phenomenon may be much larger than was then recognized:

No species has been found in which homosexual behaviour has not been shown to exist, with the exception of species that never have sex at all, such as sea urchins and aphis. Moreover, a part of the animal kingdom is hermaphroditic, truly bisexual. For them, homosexuality is not an issue.
And that's just Wikipedia.
Imagine how much more WRONG you would be if I started looking for official scientific links.

Oh, at least now I get why gay sex is so very tempting that people need to be wary of it.
Sex for fun is humans enjoying themselves.
Take it to the extreme...? Gay sex apparently.
Gay sex = netrosex PLUS!
Yup, it's a temptation alright.

I don't know why gay people get out of bed at all!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #15
buttless
Eavesdropper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianne View Post
I know what you mean, but look around any town, especially on a weekend evening, and you'll see that it's not just the gay folk that are like that.
OK.
My choice of words could have been better. Much better.

An example would be a guy I know who will twist any conversation he gets involved in to the issue of gay rights. Somebody could be discussing a carburetor rebuild and Jerry will some how find a connection with gay rights.

I hope this makes more sense.