The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-04-2004, 10:49 AM   #16
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Quote:
Originally posted by richlevy

If we could find some way to give school boards detention, suspensions, or better yet corporal punishment when they do some mind-boggling stupid acts, I'd be all for it.
If you want to really make it hurt, pull the funds out of the School Board's SALARY rather than the school funds.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 12:47 PM   #17
Griff
still says videotape

The Barbie shirt is better than the street-walker appropriate clothing, often worn by middle school girls these days... meanwhile, I'm gonna keep paying Catholic school tuition, while folks try to decide whether or not children are important enough to hold to some level of decorum. There are consequences to having education controlled by politics. Griff is apparently a mouth breathing conservative on the issue of ruining kids lives for the sake of political ax(e) grinding.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:08 PM   #18
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
and people wonder why I disparage the US school system.
And why I wouldn't even dream of raising a kid in today's school society.

*gettin' old...*

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 06:51 PM   #19
wolf
lobber of scimitars

What's needed is a kid to sue for emotional distress over the comment about Barbie ... Mattel could testify as to Barbie's sexual orientation at the trial and settle the matter once and for all.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:44 PM   #20
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Well at least we now know why Barbie broke up with Ken.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 09:08 PM   #21
warch
lurkin old school

I wonder what the "series of discriminatory incidents" were. I've seen some torture go down unaddressed or encouraged. I would say that there are 13 year olds that have identified their sexual orientation, even if generally not sexually active. Rock on, lil' rebel dyke.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:47 AM   #22
Torrere
a real smartass

According to what I've read in parenting literature, young girls often test their sexuality and decide to be lesbian for a while. If a girl decides to come out of the closet, it's quite likely to be 'just a phase'. If a boy decides to come out of the closet, he's much more likely to remain gay.

I recall my first 'girlfriend' as having boasted to the boyfriend of her best friend that she had made out with her before he had. Months later, the first girl was going out with him, and, to my knowledge, still is.

As an aside, I wonder what a thirteen year old girl will do with thirty thousand dollars. I hope that her parents(/guardians) stow it away to pay for collelge five years in the future.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:20 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I've been told "every" girl has an "experience" with their college room or class mate. But 13, seems young to be decided. I guess I'm out of touch with youth. Hell, I barely remember youth.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:58 AM   #24
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I appear to have missed a stage of development.

Or is this something that only applies to women born after 1970?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:25 PM   #25
godwulf
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
I've been told "every" girl has an "experience" with their college room or class mate.
Alas, probably more male fantasy than reality. I've read confidential surveys that pretty uniformly suggest that a higher percentage of boys than girls actually have some kind of same-sex contact, even after the age of 16...perhaps as high as 90 percent.

I read a routine that Lenny Bruce used to do, back in the early '60s, about men and sex. He had a guy who'd been stranded on a desert island admitting to his wife that he'd had sex with mud. She's like, "Well, was the mud better than me?" Bruce also said that the difference between a man and a woman is that a woman could not go through a plate-glass window and be having sex forty-five seconds later.

I guess the point is that - without bowing unduly to sterotypes - a lot of men tend to take all sex less seriously...at least assuming that they are in some way a participant...and that would seem to include sex with other men.

Interesting episode of 'Law & Order:Special Victims Unit' last night - the murderer turned out to be a member of a group of half-a-dozen black men who get together for sex with one another but deny that they're gay. The cop played by Ice-T called it something like "the down-low".

Mmm...how do I get this thread back to Barbie now? Uh...hey what was Ken's black friend's name, anyway?
Old 05-25-2004, 01:01 AM   #26
MrKite
Fresh Incumbent

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
and people wonder why I disparage the US school system.
MrKite is offline   Reply With Quote