The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #8041
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Eek! Didn't mean to write an essay. Bottom line, I think I'll give it a try and carry a big stick. And still walk very softly for the next two days ...
Old 06-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #8042
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

It's a good essay. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #8043
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

good luck!

10 years ago my wife left me right after the adoption of our son was finalized. we split albeit not too amicably. heck, when she moved out she got a hernia and i was thrilled. "serves you right" i thought at the time. then she got it fixed. by my father. kinda made me take a step back and re-assess the situation.

at the time that she moved out, i still got to see my then 18 month old son almost every day. i paid my child support on time, and still do to this day.

point here is: I did get over it eventually. was i a loon then? no, just crushed that it didn't work out i guess. today though, she is a great mother to my child, we get along just fine and as well as things are, all around it's not that bad. could be worse.

hope that little trip down memory lane helped.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #8044
orthodoc

Thanks. I hope things can stay civil. Although he keeps moving the goal line. He wants changes already, and he doesn't want a clause that says the settlement is dead if he backs out. That clause has to stay ... otherwise there'd be no alimony and my income would be pooled with his for the next two years while he refuses to sign. I'll hang onto that big stick.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #8045
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

do it. i consider myself very lucky in the relationship that i have with my ex wife. you haven't posted much, maybe lurked a lot, i dunno. point is, yes, this is an incredibly difficult time for you. trust me on this one though, it could be worse. in other ways you could even possibly imagine. and i mean outside of what you're going through now. i thought my divorce was the worst time of my life. i was wrong.

you've got him to a point to where he feels threatened. aka the clause that says the settlement is dead if he backs out. that's a control issue. this isn't 50 shades of grey. this is a divorce. i agree with you that the clause has to stay.

let me rephrase that. it MUST stay. i believed my ex when she said that a given court was on yada yada date and that it was only preliminary and i didn't need to show up. so i didn't. guess what. i was divorced that day and didn't even know it. i got duped.

that was then, this is now. hindsight 20/20 yeah, if i'd of had a lawyer then things would be different. BUT, point here is this, get through the divorce and don't let him control you. even while you're still there, if he tries to talk to you about negotiations then put a stop to it right there. tell him to talk to his lawyer so that his lawyer can talk to yours. difficult as it may seem, it's what really needs to happen. so so sorry you're having to go through this.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #8046
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

H.U.G.E row with Mum this morning.
Lasted until I was going to be late for work so Dad had to give me a lift in. He was a bit befuddled, but given I was crying hard and it was Mum who asked him he acquiesed.

I blurted out that she was such a negative person and she told me it was because I'd failed at everything I said I was going to do. She said that after her lumpectomy I was so helpful, but I'd just sat on my lazy fat arse ever since (this is partly true, but she just took back control over everything and never said a word about wanting help).

She said she didn't want me living here, but what could she do? But if I managed to keep a friend for more than a year perhaps it might be easier for her and Dad to live the life they deserved, rather than having me there all the time. This stung (particularly) as I have retreated into ultra-hermit mode to stay out of their way. I never cook for them any more (which I miss) do not eat any meal with them, watch no TV with them. But my presence in my bedroom is ruining her life.

I said we all needed to talk more, raising the times she has stormed out of the house - especially the time she ruined Christmas for all of us - and come back and not said a word to me. Literally. I've crept back into her good graces without ever really knowing why.

She pointed out I am not even able to keep my bedroom in the state she would like it so how could she ask me to clean anything else, and that I did nothing to help in the garden (both are true).

Unresolved.
I came home after a day spent on the edge of tears and have retreated up here.
I've been so upset all day I've been retching. If I told Mum that she's say I was showing off. But no-one knew because I "coughed" into a tissue. And in fact I told no-one except Mrs J who packed me off to the staffroom for a cup of tea to compose myself when I arrived.

I'm not asking for a solution. Nor for sympathy. Just saying how today was and why I am upset.
I might look up family counselling. This is not all on my Mum's side, I have to bear responsibility too. It's just that I am slightly less agressive and slightly less defensive. And yes of course I am aware that this is her house and she is doing me a HUGE favour. I just wish we could talk more rather than her game of What Can I Say To Hurt You Today?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #8047
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

so messed up.

I'm sorry Sundae. I wasn't there, don't know all sides, you're my friend and she's not, yada yada yada. Whatever. It sucks to hear grownups being mean like uncivilized children. Saying and doing things just for the hurtful effect. Tha's fucked up.

Mean people suck.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #8048
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*hugs*
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #8049
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Sorry, Sundae. Hope you feel better soon.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #8050
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

So sorry to see this, Sundae! X

Sent by thought transference
Old 06-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #8051
orthodoc

I hope things are going better, Sundae.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #8052
orthodoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
that's a control issue. this isn't 50 shades of grey. this is a divorce.... point here is this, get through the divorce and don't let him control you.
Control is, and has been, the issue forever. But ... I'm out! As of yesterday. Physically out, in another state, on my own. It feels a bit like coming to the surface after being submerged in water for a long time. A bit of a shock, but wow, that first deep breath feels good.

I know things still have to be finalized and I have a lot to rebuild. Things won't be all roses. But ... wow.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #8053
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Holy shit! Fuckin' 'A' ortho. How proud of yourself do you feel right now, on a scale of one to ten? I hope it's eleven.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #8054
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

What Dana said!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #8055
orthodoc

Still in shock! Walking around my new apartment with a huge goofy smile on my face. Can't quite believe it.

And hey - thanks for the support.

Tags
swiss