The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 03-09-2005, 06:18 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Old 03-09-2005, 06:57 PM   #17
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Yeah, Bob the Angry Flower is hit and miss, but when it hits it HITS. I make it a point to buy every book he comes out with.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #18
finding_nirvana
Sibling of the Commonweal

I wish I had the answer, humans are primitive, I wish I were more than human, better, maybe that would be better, just being a spiritless robot with no emotion, built to know. Maybe it would be better if that was what we are, rapists would find no more lust, murderers would find not hate. And the hungry man, the poor man, would not long for money, or alchohol, instead, he would might not even be there, robots would make good decisions. I feel that the rest of us are straying from the subject, pictures? comic reels, those are not the answers, at least I don't think they are.

"You are a very odd little boy, but I suppose... after all, as our mothers always told us, or at least my mother did, 'always try new things'."
finding_nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:37 AM   #19
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by finding_nirvana
I wish I were more than human, better
More than human? More? Silly boy. Do your homework.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:09 PM   #20
finding_nirvana
Sibling of the Commonweal

Catwoman, I'm not sure what you don't understand, I was pretty straight forward, humans have stupid emotions, that maybe we shouldn't have, I wish that maybe I could be a higher being. Not all powerfull, but better than human, we are primitive, but maybe primitive can be good.
finding_nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:10 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I wish I had the answer, humans are primitive, I wish I were more than human, better, maybe that would be better, just being a spiritless robot with no emotion, built to know.
No, you want to be different, better is entirely subjective.
Quote:
Maybe it would be better if that was what we are, rapists would find no more lust, murderers would find not hate. And the hungry man, the poor man, would not long for money, or alchohol, instead, he would might not even be there, robots would make good decisions. I feel that the rest of us are straying from the subject, pictures? comic reels, those are not the answers, at least I don't think they are.
YES THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!! We are not machines, we are humans, we have emotions! Something which you are obviously afraid of. Take off the blinders and look around instead of tunnel visioning your way through life. Christ, you even wax poetic in monotone. Lighten up, especially on yourself. :p
Old 03-10-2005, 10:57 PM   #22
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
No, you want to be different, better is entirely subjective. YES THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!! We are not machines, we are humans, we have emotions! Something which you are obviously afraid of. Take off the blinders and look around instead of tunnel visioning your way through life. Christ, you even wax poetic in monotone. Lighten up, especially on yourself. :p
I disagree. Better is not necessarily subjective. For example, it would be "better" to have heat if it is 10 degrees outside. Objectively, it would be "better" for your health. However, the word better is pretty generic......
Old 03-11-2005, 03:20 AM   #23
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

True, 'better' is not subjective. There is a right way and a wrong way (thus a better and a worse way) that overrides opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finding_whatever
humans have stupid emotions, that maybe we shouldn't have, I wish that maybe I could be a higher being
Emotions can get in the way, I agree. But whether we should or shouldn't have them, the fact is we do, so what are you going to do about it? Sit there pining because you're so emotional? Or get over whatever the fuck is bothering you, accept then relinquish your emotion (because you've seen it for what it is, right) and you will be the 'higher' being you so desire to be. Honestly, it works!
Old 03-11-2005, 03:46 AM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Thrasher
I disagree. Better is not necessarily subjective. For example, it would be "better" to have heat if it is 10 degrees outside. Objectively, it would be "better" for your health. However, the word better is pretty generic......
STRAWMAN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finding_nirvana.
I wish I had the answer, humans are primitive, I wish I were more than human, better, maybe that would be better, just being a spiritless robot with no emotion, built to know.
Is what he wrote and what I responded to. I still say better is entirely subjective. You would know that if you ever lived with an unfeeling, uncaring robot.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 03-11-2005 at 03:48 AM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:54 AM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman
True, 'better' is not subjective. There is a right way and a wrong way (thus a better and a worse way) that overrides opinion.
You, of all people, should know that's not true. Need I point out your posts about what works for you in "relationships" isn't necessarily what works for others. One is right and one is wrong? C'mon. :hafucking
Old 03-11-2005, 04:28 AM   #26
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

No no no. There is a right way and a wrong way. What you or I think about it is irrelevant. Romantic relationships don't work. Surely you've worked that one out by now. So I'm trying to find what does work. I'm not saying I've got it right, yet. But at least I'm not going to follow the same destructive unhealthy pattern my entire life, and still maintain the belief that what I was doing was right, just with the wrong person. We're all the same. What's right for me is right for you, if (bold, underline) it is actually right and not just my subjective 'opinion'.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:58 PM   #27
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
STRAWMAN.
Is what he wrote and what I responded to. I still say better is entirely subjective. You would know that if you ever lived with an unfeeling, uncaring robot.
We all have opinions...... Believe it or not, I tend to appreciate most of yours.
However, this is one I do not agree with. However, we have better things to debate, than whether a word is subjective or objective........
Old 03-11-2005, 03:09 PM   #28
Mad_Hatter
Complex Simpleton

I think finding_nirvana should see a counciler
Mad_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:32 PM   #29
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
I wish I had the answer, humans are primitive, I wish I were more than human, better, maybe that would be better, just being a spiritless robot with no emotion, built to know. Maybe it would be better if that was what we are, rapists would find no more lust, murderers would find not hate. And the hungry man, the poor man, would not long for money, or alchohol, instead, he would might not even be there, robots would make good decisions. I feel that the rest of us are straying from the subject, pictures? comic reels, those are not the answers, at least I don't think they are.

"You are a very odd little boy, but I suppose... after all, as our mothers always told us, or at least my mother did, 'always try new things'."
Anyone remember Jo3liot?
Old 03-12-2005, 01:59 AM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman
No no no. There is a right way and a wrong way. What you or I think about it is irrelevant. Romantic relationships don't work. Surely you've worked that one out by now. So I'm trying to find what does work. I'm not saying I've got it right, yet. But at least I'm not going to follow the same destructive unhealthy pattern my entire life, and still maintain the belief that what I was doing was right, just with the wrong person. We're all the same. What's right for me is right for you, if (bold, underline) it is actually right and not just my subjective 'opinion'.
That can't be true because what didn't work for you did work for others so it was right for them.
It's what I tried to point out to nirvana, people are different and any one size fits all solution only works with his emotionless robots.