Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #61
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Ah, so your shorthand is ok (ST6), but mine isn't. Getting a clearer picture of you with every post. Keep 'em coming. It's done. I linked to it and you read it. Why shouldn't Congress take a 10 minute vote and pass it?
If it's done it's done and 10 minutes to pass it..meh, you're right, it's nothing. but the whole thing... lots of time on something that isn't as important as other things that time to prepare the thing could have been spent on. I just don't "get" the need for it at all
Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #62
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Where did I say they would be "compromised on the ground"?
My mistake.

It might reveal something that goes on during these missions and ruining these peoples careers

Where in the Senate resolution would you say that happened?
Fair&Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #63
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

It makes them feel better. Like they are part of the operation. Like they contributed. They did not. No one believes it but those who voted for it or are too embarrassed to vote no, for fear they are recorded as not supporting the troops. These people could give a shit what Congress thinks.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #64
monster

Quote:
::scratches head::

Maybe I shouldn't have come back after all. Why do y'all seem to want to take me on?

i don't "want to take you on" -I think you're a starring asset to the site, and frankly, I'd've never read the thread if it weren't for you-ask the regulars -do I ever come here -do I know much about American politics?....
Old 05-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #65
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Yeah, I've got to agree with monster here (although that's probably because we both come from countries with a similar political system).

Over here, the PM would simply stand up in parliament and make a speech about how everything went down and who deserves a pat on the back then sit down again. It'd be recorded in the hansard notes (a record of every word said in parliament) and that'd be it aside from normal military proceedures (whatever they might be).
Old 05-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #66
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

bmho the personnel involved in this mission don't give a damn about a resolution of thanks. they don't do things for the praise of politicians nor do they give a damn about medals. they do it for the flag and the guy standing beside them
Old 05-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #67
Jill
Colonist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post

These kinds of Thanks of Congress resolutions have been a practice since the American Revolution.

And Mercenary was completely clueless when he said it might compromise those guys on the ground.
Exactly. Even if he was a part of ST6 (assuming I'm allowed that shorthand), it's clear he has no freaking clue what a Resolution is or what it's meant to accomplish. His asinine projections that a Resolution would somehow do harm to these guys or prevent them from doing what they do is so absurd it's laughable. And if this kind of moron could get elevated to that level, I'm suddenly more terrified of them than I ever was of OBL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post

They had no intention of honoring said unit! It was a political ploy! The operation was being manipulated by a bunch of politicians for other means!
Now I'm going to call you a fucking idiot. How dare you claim that our PRESIDENT manipulated a team of Navy SEALS for political purposes. You filthy piece of shit, you disgust me.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #68
TheMercenary

Quote:
And that is the truth. It draws attention to the unit, the missions, and the people. And they do not want or need that. Now every swinging dick independent reporter out to get a stringer on the NYT front page will be out head hunting these people. What should have happened is for the government to state what happened in the mission, never mentioned any details about anything, never told anyone what they did with the body, never told anyone they took pictures, and never told anyone what units were involved. The public has no right or need to know. The deed was done and if people don't believe them, tough shit.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #69
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
bmho the personnel involved in this mission don't give a damn about a resolution of thanks. they don't do things for the praise of politicians nor do they give a damn about medals. they do it for the flag and the guy standing beside them
Its for the historical record as it has always been for 200+ years and does not ruin any careers.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #70
TheMercenary

Quote:
Now I'm going to call you a fucking idiot. How dare you claim that our PRESIDENT manipulated a team of Navy SEALS for political purposes. You filthy piece of shit, you disgust me.
Fuck off. He is using it for re-election. Everyone can see it.

It is not the event, it is the after press he is exploiting.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #71
TheMercenary

Quote:
Its for the historical record as it has always been for 200+ years and does not ruin any careers.
It draws un-needed and un-wanted attention.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #72
Jill
Colonist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post

i don't "want to take you on" -I think you're a starring asset to the site, and frankly, I'd've never read the thread if it weren't for you-ask the regulars -do I ever come here -do I know much about American politics?....
Thanks. And sorry for misinterpreting your intentions. I've had a longass go-around with Merc today, so perhaps I'm a little testy. Sorry about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post

We all know they don't do it for the recognition.

That doesn't mean they don't deserve the recognition.

The Senate passed it 97-0.

What crawled up the House's ass that they won't bother to do the same?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #73
monster

Quote:
I sorta feel like it's already there in the history books.....why am i wrong?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #74
monster

Quote:
Thanks. And sorry for misinterpreting your intentions. I've had a longass go-around with Merc today, so perhaps I'm a little testy. Sorry about that. We all know they don't do it for the recognition.
Gotta say, this is the closest Merc and I have ever been, and it don't smell so good....
Old 05-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #75
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I sorta feel like it's already there in the history books.....why am i wrong?
The event will be in the history books.

The "Thanks of Congress" is a 200+ year protocol; the only one that serves as an official acknowledgement by the nation's highest body, with no harms to future missions or anyone reputation.