The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #3991
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I like it too! interesting that there are sisters in the same grade (probably sisters, Benke isn't a very common name, eh?)

on a differnt topic, I *AM* getting up to finish the yardwork now. and by finish now, I mean go outside and and turn off the chipper.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:40 AM   #3992
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

More likely cousins.
My guess anyway.

Has your chipping made you chipper?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #3993
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

In our high school yearbook, photos for grades 9-11 were mixed in all together alphabetically, only grade 12 got to have a separate section. So they might not even be the same age. But also, fertility treatments continue to keep the rate of fraternal twins/triplets high. This coming year, our Kindergarten (110 students in total) has 4 sets of twins, and 2 sets of triplets.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:54 PM   #3994
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
More likely cousins.
My guess anyway.

Has your chipping made you chipper?
never even thought of cousins. It's usually sisters in my experience. Like Clod says, many twins. Our swim team of 70 has three sets... And two non-twin sisters in the same grade. But no cousins.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:03 AM   #3995
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I thought of cousins because my sister's family all live in the same town.
Abs went to the same school that both her Aunts went to (ME! one of them anyway) and three cousins. Okay they had different surnames.
It's strange for me, because my Dad was almost of a different generation than his brother; my cousins are so much older than me (and live in London). I didn't have an extended family growing up and felt a little rootless because of it. It affected my sister too, only with her it made her determined to put down roots.

Of course Abs has twin boys now, and in fact they have twin cousins on their Dad's side. All conceived naturally. They're unlikely to end up in the same school just because of the way County lines are drawn. But they may be in the same school as their mother's aunt's youngest child (I am rubbish at proper names for family ties) because they are only a few years younger.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:08 AM   #3996
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Today a friend of mine from HS came to visit and pick up some cupcakes. We have been in touch a fair bit ever since our 20th reunion five years ago, but for one reason and another, never actually caught up in person. I guess one of the main reasons is that he has cancer, so has been pretty busy with treatment. His prognosis is not good. I know we've all moaned about cancer before, but it just really sucks for my friend. He's the same age as me and he has secondary lung cancer. The first was in his brain, and they had to do a fair amount of structural damage to his face to get rid of it. They have improved things for him somewhat, but he still thinks he looks like a freak and has been very reclusive for the last year or so, in particular since he got his latest news. He stayed most of the day just chatting while I was doing cupcakes and stuff. It was like nothing had changed, but everything was different. He's still the 16 year old boy who stole my first kiss (although I gave it willingly), but he's now a man facing his own mortality and dealing with preparing his wife for what is most likely an untimely end for him some time in the next few years.

Anyway, I just feel so abjectly useless. I know it's not about me, but he is the last person who deserves this. He's the sort of person who just helps people. I kid you not, he tried to help out a mate who had a broken leg by mowing his grass for him half way through his last round of radiation. That's the kind of person he is. Selfless to a fault. Anyway, I wish I had a magic wand. All I have is fucking cake.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:39 AM   #3997
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I know we've all moaned about cancer before, but it just really sucks for my friend.
We don't moan about cancer, Ali.
And you are not moaning now.
We say FUCK CANCER and struggle to deal with the fuckety-fuck it doles out. As you are doing.
Not a criticism, just shoring you up here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Anyway, I just feel so abjectly useless. I know it's not about me, but he is the last person who deserves this. He's the sort of person who just helps people. I kid you not, he tried to help out a mate who had a broken leg by mowing his grass for him half way through his last round of radiation. That's the kind of person he is. Selfless to a fault. Anyway, I wish I had a magic wand. All I have is fucking cake.
You are not useless, except in the way all of us are useless in the face of cancer.
If you can acknowledge it to the sufferer you're miles ahead of useless.

Which is all coming the long way round to saying don't beat yourself up. And I really feel for you.
These days it seems like I'm holding my breath just waiting for the next person I know to be diagnosed.
I would almost rather it was me so I could get on with dying rather than living in guilt.
Note "almost".
Old 06-27-2014, 06:31 AM   #3998
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Thanks Sundae. I guess in one way that whole big picture has been helpful with a croupy baby with the vomits tonight. Didn't seem half as bad as it might have if I'd not already been counting my blessings.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #3999
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
Anyway, I wish I had a magic wand. All I have is fucking cake.
I bet that's a lot more than some friends have offered him. People get weird about illness, and no one wants to spend time with you anymore. I bet he enjoyed his afternoon with you far more than you can imagine.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #4000
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I bet that's a lot more than some friends have offered him. People get weird about illness, and no one wants to spend time with you anymore. I bet he enjoyed his afternoon with you far more than you can imagine.
Yups, I was thinking the same. You HAD cake. I'm sure it was fucking awesome.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #4001
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Who is paying off the Supremes these days? We're so fucked.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #4002
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Sitting here with a cocktail, waiting my friend to come for lunch. I could've continued to shop around rather than go to the restaurant, which was empty, to save a seat as she requested. But then again, I would've used oogles of money had I done so. It's a good thing she called though. She's about 30 mins late and still hasn't called to say she's on her way.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #4003
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Thought of Sarge that's why I bought this little notebook.
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1404615684143.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  44.6 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1404615696103.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  37.7 KB
Old 07-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #4004
Clodfobble

I don't know if this is amusing me, or irritating me, or what, so it's going here.

I forgot the date of our wedding anniversary, to the point that I scheduled us to go have dinner at a friends' house that night.

Just like I did on my own birthday. Same friends as last time, even. I think there might be something in me that pathologically avoids personal holidays.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #4005
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Forgetting your own wedding anniversary ... are you trying too hard? There's such a thing as sublimating too many disappointments.

Tags
dum, oh the whorror