The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #226
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

but....
Romney does like getting money from Washington too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romney
"I am big believer in getting money where the money is," Romney said in an address to the New Bedford Industrial Foundation on Oct. 16, 2002. "The money is in Washington."

“I want to go after every grant, every project, every department in Washington to assure that we are taking advantage of economic development opportunities,” the candidate explained.

“I have learned from my Olympic experience that if you have people who really understand how Washington works and have personal associations there you can get money to help build economic development opportunities,” Romney said.

"We actually received over $410 million from the federal government for the Olympic games," Romney boasted. "That is a huge increase over anything ever done before and we did that by going after every agency of government."
He's a hypocrite.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #227
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Yes, but he was speaking sarcastically. There are smart conservatives.
I don't consider Santorum one of them, but taking his words out of context
is just as bad as anyone else doing it "I like to fire people" (actually true in Romney's case)
or "you didn't build that" from Obama, not actually what he said.
Ummmm....

This Huffinton Post link has the video of Santorum's talk.

The link I posted above was not a word-for-word transcription, but
IMO it certainly did not take his remarks out of context.
And IMO, he was not speaking sarcastically.

I feel he was being very serious, and knew exactly the point he was making.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #228
glatt

Quote:
He said that his job “is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”
Is he saying that his job in the campaign is not to worry about half the country, or his job as president is not to worry about half the country?

If it's the former, that's too bad, but it's just basic strategy of figuring out which votes you can win and focusing on those. If it's the later, and he's writing off half the country that he'll bother with as president, that's very serious. If he got elected, I'd call for his immediate impeachment. You can't have a president writing off half the country, regardless of politics.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #229
infinite monkey

Quote:
"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what," Romney says in one clip. "There are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent on government, who believe that, that they are victims, who believe that government has the responsibility to care for them. Who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing."
I'm voting for Obama. So, I believe I am entitled to all these things I work for? No, Mr Romney. Take your 47% and shove it. I am among this 47% and I believe in working hard and making your way the best you can, and I believe I live in a society that doesn't dismiss the people who are disabled, disenfranchised, displaced or whatever words you want to use to describe those you turn your nose up at.

Quote:
"At a fundraiser you have people say, 'Governor how are you going to win this?' And so I respond 'Well, the president has his group, I have my group. I want to keep my team strong and motivated and I want to get those people in the middle.' That's something which fund-raising people who are parting with their monies are very interested in," Romney said.
Yes, Biff, your 'group' is the set of hugely wealthy people at this party who are up your ass while they eat their caviar and pat themselves on the back for being better than that other group (and get just as drunk and stupid as us normal folk.) They lapped that shit up as you said it, and you know it. Those ARE 'your people' and you can have them.

I used to work Boehner parties. Even in my town of pathetic rich wannabes (who really aren't rich enough to be anybody, really) it's sickening.

Quote:
"My dad, as you probably, know was the governor of Michigan and was the head of a car company. But he was born in Mexico ... and, uh, had he been born of, uh, Mexican parents, I'd have a better shot at winning this," Romney said. "But he was unfortunately born to Americans living in Mexico.... I mean I say that jokingly, but it would be helpful to be Latino."
It would be helpful to be Latino? Helpful to whom? Helpful in what way?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ney/?hpt=hp_t1

Jebus Gob don't let this man win.

Last edited by infinite monkey; 09-18-2012 at 09:06 AM.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #230
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"...don't let this man win..."

Agreed.

'Course, I say the same about Obama.

Two used car salesmen...mediocre of intellect and idea.

*WORK FOR BINDING NONE OF THE ABOVE FOR 2016*

#

Since he's the 'flavor of the day'...

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...-november.html

Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #231
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Is he saying that his job in the campaign is not to worry about half the country, or his job as president is not to worry about half the country?
Don't be stupid. He is saying that his job in the campaign is not to worry about half the country. We all know his job as president is to not worry about 98% of the country.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #232
infinite monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
Agreed.

'Course, I say the same about Obama.

Two used car salesmen...mediocre of intellect and idea.

*WORK FOR BINDING NONE OF THE ABOVE FOR 2016*

#

Since he's the 'flavor of the day'...

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...-november.html

Bleh...Romney is a giant dickhead and Obama is not. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it, and I've got my fingers in my ears (while saying lalalallalaaa) when you tell me how they're all the same. Because, that isn't helpful. You may choose to live on the fringe of everything, but I do not...and I believe in certain ideologies.

Bleh.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #233
infinite monkey

I'd be all for wiring Biff's mouth shut. Also, tie him to a chair and prop his eyes open with toothpicks.

Then I shall dance naked in front of him (scandalous heathen! gasp!) with hundreds of blacks, latinos, displaced workers, and maybe a few Chinese (just 'cause he thinks they're so much better than us and deserve jobs more [see: displaced workers]) and generally shock him and his constituents with my reckless godless abandon and my care for other humans living on this earth who weren't born with a silver spoon up our ass.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #234
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

My ex in-laws (think American Gothic and you've got 'em nailed) have an interesting dilemma in front of them:

The black guy (although they wouldn't hesitate to call him the other word)

OR:

The white guy who is part of a cult and not really Christian

Sometimes I wish I could just listen in on their political convos...it would be such fun.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #235
infinite monkey

But in what 'context' is Obama black? Because, you know, that means everything.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #236
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
But in what 'context' is Obama black? Because, you know, that means everything.
The context of his having dark skin?

Quadroon? no, he'd be a mulatto, right?

Which president was supposedly 'black' b/c they thought he was an octoroon?

Yeah, I've been reading about the New Orleans Red District. Sorry.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #237
infinite monkey

I'm still sitting here wondering how, as part of the 47% who will vote for Obama, I am also part of some 47% who don't pay taxes. Uh, no dependents here, no tax breaks (they took away the workin' folk break, which wasn't huge but helped) and my total tax liability is plenty. Everyone who votes for Obama takes no responsiblity for their lives?

47% of us.

Can I have a cite for this figure? All people who pay no taxes will vote for Obama, and all who will vote for Obama pay no taxes?

There's your context: it's a stupid ass statement and illustrates how he will say and do anything to keep the uber-rich happy, and it very CLEARLY was meant to paint Obama voters as...I don't know, you choose a word.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #238
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"I believe in certain ideologies"

As you like...
Old 09-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #239
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
It would be helpful to be Latino? Helpful to whom? Helpful in what way?
Well, for one thing we could have deported the bastard.

Funny that he thinks that as a Latino Republican he would even be considered as a presidential candidate by his party.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #240
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/we...ls--t-mountain

Tags
adak is teh whack