The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-10-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Kayne West was a 'good boy'

I was watching Fox News this morning and they were discussing flood benefits and Kayne West's performance last night came up. One of the commentators stated that Mr. West did not offer any more comments on the race issue and that he was a 'good boy'.

I think someone should clue this guy that if you work for an overwhelmingly white conservative network, calling a Kayne West a 'good boy' might not be seen as a compliment, especially when discussing race relations.

As a matter of fact, I was thinking about this today and I thought that the only people who could use that phrase to me without it sounding demeaning are relatives. If my mother called me a 'good boy', I probably woudn't take offense. If my boss or a srranger did so, I probably would be offended.

This also works indirectly. It is appropriate for someone to say "I'm sure his mother thinks he's a good boy".

Is this a sign of a new anti-PC movement?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Do younger people even know that "boy" is a "bad" word?

Via Fark:
Quote:
Hip-hop star KANYE WEST is advising his white counterparts that they can only use certain slang terms when they're out of style for black people.

The JESUS WALKS rapper - who recently charged that US President GEORGE W BUSH "doesn't care" about African Americans - believes that certain slang words should only be able to cross racial barriers when they're no longer in style for black people.

He says, "I think white people are allowed to say 'bling'. They are allowed to say old-school black slang, like 'hottie' and 'homie'.

"Actually, I do not think that (white people) are allowed to use slang until it is at least a year old. If you say a slang word too early, it's like you're trying to be black. So as long as the slang is a little played out, you're all good."
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 07:55 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Somebody better tell Sycamore, although he is an honorary Negro.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
Hemlock
May Ter Dee

I had never known "boy" was bad until I saw some references in pop-culture. I think this whole thread is stupid. Who cares what he said?
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:38 PM   #5
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
If my mother called me a 'good boy', I probably woudn't take offense. If my boss or a srranger did so, I probably would be offended.
Ah, memories of youth. A middle-age male client once said I was a "GOOD girl," and I felt myself longing to rip out his newly implanted hair roots. I say, beyond the racial implications, being referred to "good boy" is at the least hugely demeaning.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:57 PM   #6
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I don't find being called a good boy to be demeaning in the least. The culture I grew up in is dominated by a class of men called, "Good 'ol boys". If they call you a "good boy" or anything but "fairy/faggot-ass boy" then you're in the club.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 09:21 PM   #7
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

So, good ole Kanye is just a member of the club! What a wonderful world we live in.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 09:39 PM   #8
NovemberRain
Don't Call Me Shirley

It sounds to me as if the commentator meant it in the same vein as Kayne's mother would have if she had said it. He probably only realized later, if he realized it at all, that people might take it the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Is this a sign of a new anti-PC movement?
The movement, if there is a conscious movement, isn't new. I have resented the PC crowd telling me what I can and cannot say for years. Telling me I can't do something is the surest way to get me to do it. I'm ornery that way.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:22 PM   #9
lookout123
changed his status to single

stupid comment. almost as stupid as actually worrying about being PC. sometimes when people make a comment that can be taken two ways, it is ok to think it was the more innocent of the possibilities.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:12 PM   #10
NovemberRain
Don't Call Me Shirley

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123
stupid comment. almost as stupid as actually worrying about being PC. sometimes when people make a comment that can be taken two ways, it is ok to think it was the more innocent of the possibilities.
Exactly. I once made an innocent remark in a chat room about a lollipop - I forget the context now - and this Australian woman went off on me about how I shouldn't say things like that when her boyfriend was listening. (Apparently "lollipop" is an Aussie slang reference to male genitalia.) Christ, I thought I'd never hear the end of it. I explained that I didn't mean that at all, but she went on and on about it until she brought the whole room to a halt.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:09 AM   #11
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Somebody better tell Sycamore, although he is an honorary Negro.
Yep...Rhoda didn't tear up my Righteous Whitey card when we split up.

Kanye West is a talented artist and producer...and a moron.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:41 PM   #12
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

You DO have to be carful now days ,
I used to say as I was greating a new customer " Hi-de-HO !! " ,
Untill one day this lady went OFF saying i had called her a HO !!!!!

Now I just say "Howdy !!"
Old 09-11-2005, 08:34 PM   #13
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Would she have been mollified if you said you were just quoting the talking piece of poo from South Park?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #14
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

probley , but i was quoteing Cab Calloway from Minnie the Moocher
Old 09-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #15
mrnoodle
bent

Is "boy" supposed to carry slave-era baggage if you use it with a black person?

my eyes ache from rolling into the back of my skull right now. As if anyone under the age of 80 has ever been called "boy" in that context. Children -- of all races -- raised with iPods, broadband internet, and happy meals must be taught that words like "boy" have a racial context. And when their parents do so, they do them a disservice. But it keeps Jesse Jackson rolling in the dough, so let's keep it up, people.