The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-10-2004, 10:29 AM   #31
russotto
Professor

Yep, PA also has an employee-paid SUI tax. But it doesn't really matter whether it's employer-paid or employee-paid. Any per-employee (or per-dollar of wages or salary) tax is part of the employee's burden, the cost of employing that employee, and causes a reduction in salaries.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:05 PM   #32
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Sure, I'll grant you that. That's why contract-work is so popular with employers in my industry. Benefits add another 40% or so to the cost of an employee.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:43 PM   #33
marichiko

Clodfobble, believe me, I know how humiliating it feels to accept government help. I resisted applying for disability for over a year because I couldn't see myself as someone living on the government dole and all my life I had stood on my own two feet. This pride only hurt me in the long run. One way or another, you DID pay into the unemployment system if only through a lower salary given by your employer since they were paying into the system. And its not like you lost your job on purpose, so you could go cheat the state and hang around the house all day drinking beer and watching TV. You are an honest person who paid her taxes, worked hard, and got laid off through no fault of her own. Accept the help to get through this rough time and don't guilt trip yourself over it.

Does Austin have any temp agencies that specialize in the technical fields? Once when I was between jobs I got a temp job through an agency like that as a software tester. It payed fairly well for temp work, lasted two months, and was actually fun to do.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:44 PM   #34
Clodfobble

Yeah, there are a few. Austin's a big techie town. I was planning on registering with several agencies, but the first one took all freaking day (and then they got me a quick little job right away, so I haven't had a chance to go to any others yet.) I figure I'll wait and see how regularly they get me work before I spend another entire day in an office taking typing tests and the like. I've heard a lot of companies use more than one temp agency anyway, and it might look bad if they both were trying to send me to the same job...
Old 11-06-2004, 09:25 AM   #35
Clodfobble

An update: We just received news that from Monday to Thursday of next week they're going to finally allow us to go into the old office building one at a time and retrieve our personal belongings, under the watchful supervision of the bankruptcy trustee and our former IT Director (who will be able to reassure the trustee about what is and is not company equipment.)

We don't know if the cleaning staff have gone through the offices at all since we were locked out on August 23rd. It would have been a good idea, since many people left food out, fully expecting that they'd be back the next morning. And I would think the smell of dead hamsters, fish, and other office pets would have caused the other tenants to eventually complain. Guess we'll find out the damage next week.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:16 PM   #36
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That doesn't sound like much fun but at least you'll get your stuff.
Grab some company letterheads, they might come in handy.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:42 PM   #37
Clodfobble

Personally, the one thing I'm really hoping they let me take off my desk is some old paperwork giving me stock options at $4.85. I figure in a couple of years, I can sell that and all my other company-branded knick-knacks on ebay to the "ironic nostalgia" crowd.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:45 AM   #38
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Personally, the one thing I'm really hoping they let me take off my desk is some old paperwork giving me stock options at $4.85. I figure in a couple of years, I can sell that and all my other company-branded knick-knacks on ebay to the "ironic nostalgia" crowd.
Well, you still work in a hot industry. Looking at what's out there, it looks like hundreds of millions are being dropped in development each year on games.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 02:08 PM   #39
Clodfobble

Oh, definitely. My company was rather infamous among gamers though--I think we'd only had one profitable game in the last 5-6 years or so (which isn't to say they didn't sell well, it's that money was wasted to a significant degree in development.) It would be like owning stock options in Yugo.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:08 PM   #40
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
DoDads!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:19 PM   #41
Clodfobble

An unexpected surprise

Hey look! Remember this three-year-old thread about when I lost my job? Ah, good times, good times... but why, do you ask, would I bother to resurrect it?

Well, the wheels of the justice system turn ever so slowly. And we've just now heard some good news on the bankruptcy proceedings! They're hoping to finally start distributing funds to all the various creditors sometime around next January. That means I might finally get my unpaid wages from Sept. 2004, assuming there's enough money to cover the employees (which there should be, since legally we're first in line after taxes and court costs.)

AND, it turns out I might even get a little bonus: Texas has a law called the WARN Act, which basically says that if a workplace shuts down or lays off a majority of their employees, they must either give 60 days' severance pay, or 60 days' warning. Obviously my employer did neither, and a random law firm alerted us to this fact and offered to take the case for 30% of whatever they recovered for us. At the time we basically said, "Sure, knock yourselves out," and forgot about them. Well it turns out they stuck with it, and won, and there might actually be enough money leftover to cover some of the claim after all. So we've been told we'll probably be getting a little more than our owed wages, though no one knows how much for sure. Merry Christmas to me! (2007, or 2008, one of these years anyway...)
Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 PM   #42
Flint
Snowflake

Wow... After all this time, it'll just seem like free money.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:46 AM   #43
Griff
still says videotape

Very cool!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #44
Clodfobble

Ha ha.

Ha.

Ha.

Remember this 6-year-old thread about my employer going bankrupt and not paying us our final paychecks? Remember how, three years ago, I bumped the thread because they'd told us that finally, finally, we were going to get our money? Yeah, that didn't happen.

But yesterday, August 23rd, 2010, I got a bona fide check in the mail for my unpaid wages. A quick re-read of the thread reveals that August 23rd was the very day we got locked out of the building.

6 years later, to the day.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #45
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Very cool!