The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Goddamn digital camera

My digital camera (a Canon Powershot A530) is having issues. But they're weird. As far as I can tell, it seems that the flash is broken, but it knows the flash is broken, so it won't take the picture if it thinks it needs a flash. If I turn the flash off, or turn it to auto-flash but aim it at a window, I can take pictures all day. But, of course, they're dark and blurry. The rest of the time I just hold down the trigger and it does nothing.

Does this sound like something that might be common, or easy, or cheap to fix? Or should I just suck it up and get a new one?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
glatt

Do you remember if you registered the camera? I understand that some cameras get firmware updates after specific problems have been found. Registering the camera will enable the company to find you if there is an issue. I did a quick search for that model and learned that there had been a recall for some of them for a battery door short circuit.

I'd just keep the flash turned off all the time, crank up the sensitivity on the sensor, and take most of the pictures outside. Complain a lot, and maybe you will get a new camera for Christmas.

Basically, I don't have a solution.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Complain a lot, and maybe you will get a new camera for Christmas.
Nah, I don't even have to complain a lot--I'm apparently really hard to shop for, and Mr. Clod loves the excuse to buy technical gadgetry. He's already researching new models. I was actually hoping I could present him with a cheaper repair alternative, to crush all his hopes and dreams.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Ah, but if he buys you a new one, that means he gets to tinker with the old one.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Cloud

Spynet has infected your camera. Tomorrow, the world!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If the flash had worked, the "fireplace" picture would not have been as good, even though we would have seen more.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Clodfobble

Well, true, but it wasn't my picture... Of course, if LabRat's looking to buy a camera with a special "silhouetting only" feature, I'd be happy to sell her mine!
Old 11-09-2008, 12:36 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But it could be your picture... wink nudge wink
I'll give her mine too, an Olympus C-400 that the flash has mysteriously quit on.
Guess I'll have to find a body that will use my AF Nikkor 35-70, AF Nikkor 70-210, and AF Micro Nikkor 105, lenses. But at the moment I need a sugar mommy to make that happen.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:02 AM   #9
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

My Nikon D50 would do that for ya bruce.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Pssst.

OK, I'll give you some advice here, but don't tell anyone. You might find a firmware update on the Canon site that will fix your problem, but I did not find any there(Canon Support).

If the Canon firmware does not fix your problem, you can load the Canon Hack Development Kit firmware update for the A530. You load the firmware onto your memory card. The firmware overrides the factory firmware. The firmware updates only last while the camera is on and the file is deleted unless you lock the card. Locking the card will not affect the camera saving pictures but will leave the firmware file alone.

Quote:
According to Slashdot, Free Software from the CHDK project allows nearly complete programmatic control of cheap Canon point-and-shoot cameras, enabling users to add features, up to and including games and BASIC scripting. Features include shooting in RAW, USB-cable remote shutter-release, motion-detection triggered photography, customizable high-speed continuous (burst) Tv, Av, ISO, and Focus bracketing (increasing depth of field), 1 Gig video-size limit removed in earlier cameras, Shutter, Aperture, and ISO Overrides (shutter speeds of 64" to 1/10,000" and higher).[9]
The CHDK adds a lot of cool functions to Canon Powershots see here. It may not fix your flash, but there's always a chance. And if it doesn't, it might still add enough value to your camera for you to keep it for experimenting.

I haven't found anything similar to CHDK for any other brand of cameras, so I might be buying Canons from now on.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 11-09-2008 at 10:52 AM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Yeah, that CHDK thingie is really cool. I was going to try and use it on TF's camera, but her's is one step up from the ones that the hacks will work on.