The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-03-2004, 11:52 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

11/3/2004: Eagle helicopter

busterb sends along this set, which apparently is an Mi-24 flying in Afghanistan these days. He says the images have been going around, but I haven't seen 'em yet, so maybe you haven't either. Very nice!

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:06 PM   #2
JR365
Person Who Has Posted

I doubt there would be any operating hinds left in afghanistan, let alone one as spiffy as this one. I'm sure our boys wouldnt be flying in an old communist bloc aircraft anyways. By the looks of the insignia on the tail, i would guess eastern european. By the looks of the terrain and buildings, i would guess somewhere far from afghanistan.

Either way, cool pics.
JR365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 02:42 PM   #3
busterb
NSABFD

Spot on JR365.Here
Old 11-03-2004, 03:11 PM   #4
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quite a nice paintjob. Good to see my tax dollars are making sure the weapons they use to protect ME way over here look damn good in the process. Though, I think it resembles a falcon or kite more than it does an eagle. Or maybe it could be the golden eagle but it's certainly not a bald eagle...unless you count the 'bald' part as where the cockpit is. Hmm...now I want painted wolf fur on my car.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:00 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Hungarian tax dollars.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:10 PM   #6
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf
Quite a nice paintjob. Good to see my tax dollars are making sure the weapons they use to protect ME way over here look damn good in the process. Though, I think it resembles a falcon or kite more than it does an eagle. Or maybe it could be the golden eagle but it's certainly not a bald eagle...unless you count the 'bald' part as where the cockpit is. Hmm...now I want painted wolf fur on my car.
The $600 Allen wrenches would bug me more than the $200 of paint. By the way, the US operates the largest collection of Hinds, even taking into account Russia.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:33 PM   #7
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Knowing that this is a "showcraft", my attention was drawn to the right landing gear. Are these guns? If they are I'm sure they're props. I can't be the only cellarite that noticed it. Of course, in lots of other countries you may need artillery to go to an airshow...................
Very interesting. Excellent images.
Almost looks like there were modifications to the body of the aircraft as well as the great paint job.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:47 PM   #8
ferkelparade
aspires to be a viking

Nope, these aren't guns, these are just the outlying racks where rockets/heavy guns/other fun stuff can be mounted...look at this closeup:

http://www.portinari.de - oceanpunk
ferkelparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:11 PM   #9
pegusitas
Writer of Writings

saw it on snopes

http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/eaglecopter.asp
pegusitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:21 PM   #10
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uryoces
The $600 Allen wrenches would bug me more than the $200 of paint. By the way, the US operates the largest collection of Hinds, even taking into account Russia.
Why?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 06:52 AM   #11
Cyber Wolf

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uryoces
They both bug me, but $200 for a paint job makes more sense as far as pricing than a $600 wrench. No wrench should be work than unless it was make of solid gold and then it'd be all but useless.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Old 11-04-2004, 04:04 PM   #12
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy
Why?
Why Allen wrenches or why the Hind Helicopter group?

Allen Wrenches: More a figure I pulled out of my ass as a matter of comparison.
i.e. The paintjob doesn't bother me. Neat.

Hind Helicopters: I know for Aggressor squadron training for one reason. Due tothe number here in the US, we have the largest Hind-24 fleet in the world.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:49 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The $200 Allen wrench, $600 hammer and $900 toilet seat are expensive for a very good reason. Mil Spec, shorthand for Military Specification.

Let’s say we want to add a little bracket to a helicopter. Just a 1” x 1” x 4” piece of angle aluminum that’s 1/8th of an inch thick. Simple? Hell no!
After we draw a picture of what it looks like and where it goes, the Army must approve it.
First the piece of angle; Who made the aluminum and when; who cut off the piece we are using and when; who/when heat treated it; who/when tested the results of heat treat; who/when alodized it with what chemicals, from what batch, made by whom/when, under what contract was the alodine transferred to the aplicator. All the same info for the primer and again for the paint.
Then we come to who/when, under what contract, drilled the holes; who/when inspected the piece; who/when applied the sealant (and the same info for the sealant as the paint); who/when riveted it (and the whole history of the rivets); who/when inspected it for the company and same for the Army.
Now take this reams of information, organize it in a specified manner, and keep it forever.
Boeing has a record of every part I machined in 1966 and what ship it was used on.
That’s why everything is so damn expensive, the paperwork.
Just to buy a copy of the Mil Specs would cost thousands and thousands of $.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:53 PM   #14
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

[quote=capnhowdy]Knowing that this is a "showcraft", my attention was drawn to the right landing gear. Are these guns? If they are I'm sure they're props. I can't be the only cellarite that noticed it. Of course, in lots of other countries you may need artillery to go to an airshow...................
Very interesting. Excellent images.
Almost looks like there were modifications to the body of the aircraft as well as the great paint job.

Sir, I Can't be sure those or props. However, I am not an expert on weapontry of any kind; Except, an M16 I was engaged to take apart clean an reassemble at leat thee times per week while serving in the military. Although, in my humble opinion, this country may need much more than artillery on a terribly painted aircraft at airshows in the future. Don't get me wrong. I think our proud county is one of courage, fear, and the will to succed. But to suceed we must realize that to suceed; listening possibly is the answer . The rivers shall run the wind will blow...........I know this may sound silly or even somehow politically incorrect, but to me we are not threatned by intellect but the unwiilingness to reflect...............
Old 11-05-2004, 06:52 AM   #15
Cyber Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
The $200 Allen wrench, $600 hammer and $900 toilet seat are expensive for a very good reason. Mil Spec, shorthand for Military Specification.

Let’s say we want to add a little bracket to a helicopter.
That’s why everything is so damn expensive, the paperwork.
Just to buy a copy of the Mil Specs would cost thousands and thousands of $.
Well considering the way our boys are over in Iraq now soldering scrap metal to their Mil Spec vehicles for added protection, I'm inclined to say 'Bollocks!" to all that. Hey, who knows...maybe they've got Mil Spec blowtorches over there, costing a couple of car payments apiece over there. Or perhaps the scrap metal is Mil Spec Scrap Metal©