The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

UK Dwellars -Quorn?

I was watching Modern Marvels recently and they did a show about fungi. They showed various mushrooms and magic mushrooms, penicillin, etc.

Then the mentioned a food product in the UK called Quorn. It is apparantly made from Fusarium venenatum which is a soil mold.

They said it was a very popular meat substitute and it has the consistency of real meat. And....like everything else it tastes like chicken.

Have any of you ever tried this?
Old 08-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
Pie
Gone and done

You can get it here (at least on the east coast).
No, I've never tried it.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

They sell it at Publix. Check the frozen section. I love it! Low fat, high protein...
Old 08-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I live on the East Coast and I have a Publix about a quarter mile down the road. I guess I could just try it. I was hoping to get some opinions though. My wife likes to eat vegetarian for a month or so at a time as part of her religious practices. It would be easier for her if I went along for the ride. I guess the idea of eating dirt mold is a bit creepy... and I've eaten some strange things all around the world over the years. Who else here has had porcupine? raw horse? sea urchin? frog? turtle?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Pie
Gone and done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Who else here has had porcupine?
Squeasel?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
I guess the idea of eating dirt mold is a bit creepy...
And yet, hot dogs...

Old 08-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Who else here has had porcupine? raw horse? sea urchin? frog? turtle?
nope, nope, yup, yup, yup and many many other ocean things.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

My ex & I used to eat Quorn all the time. Or honestly, the supermarket equivilant.

Soya mince, anyway.
We were the first of our friends to have a house, and very often I'd find myself cooking for eight people.
We bought an extravagently long kitchen table for this reason.

Then and now, I loved one-pot meals.
Given that two friends amongst the group were veggies, it made sense to use veggie mince in my spaghetti and chilli.
I just had to remember it soaked up spices FAR more than normal mince - it could make a grown man's eyes water without intending to!

Shop-bought things with Quorn in seem to be very high in fat (I have checked the calories and fat content on them all, very dull) but I do get that substituting Quorn for meat seems to be A Good Thing.

Additional - chicken-style-Quorn was a feature at many a work do I attended in the NHS. Because, after all, it was acceptable to all religious groups...

Make your work buffets from Quorn, really. Some underpaid admin will appreciate the fact that you did.

ETA - realised what the OT asked!
Quorn is pretty much okay-dokey.
Mince is best - I know a lot of people who use it simply by choice.
"Chicken style" is more expensive and I only used it when I had veggies visiting. But as it was higher fat than chicken it was only a guest thing for me (free-range only - because of course I only entertained when I was employed!)

Last edited by Sundae; 08-21-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
monster
I hear them call the tide

Horrible. mostly tasteless and a variety of unnatural textures. But then I've never fouind a meat subsitute I like, probably because I don't really want to eat a meat substitute and was forced to eat TVP as a child.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post

That's one of my favorite episodes. I remember the Squeasel thing. I don't think I ever had it.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

My suggestion is to buy some and check it out. The fat content is actually much LOWER than similar product (ie: real chicken patties). Quorn ones are 6g fat and real chicken ones (Banquet) are 13g.

I eat all kinds of weird vegetarian stuff, so feel free to ask . I eat meat too, so I'm not biased.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #12
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

I liked Quorn, but the nearest Publix stopped carrying it and I just switched over to Morning Star. The texture can be a little strange, but it's not a bad flavor.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #13
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

I went to Publix, and they didn't have it. They have similar soy based products, but from what I've heard, soy products don't have as good of a meat texture.