The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #4051
Kaliayev
Magnificent Bastard

So-called "friends" of my girlfriend playing mind games with her during a very rough patch in her life.

Just as well I'm not in London any time in the near future. I can become very inventive, when provoked.
Kaliayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #4052
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
Why is that a rude thing to say? I don't get how that's rude.
It isn't directly rude, but it is an unspoken rule of house-shopping that you don't comment about the house in front of the current owner. Most people have this weird emotional connection to their house, like they want you to love it exactly the way it is, rather than the obvious reality that you're going to bring in your own furniture and all that. There's a possessiveness that is very hard to explain. You're selling it, but you don't want to picture their stuff inside it, their cars in the driveway. It's not rude, it's just--awkward, I guess.

That being said, it's also an unspoken rule of house-shopping that the current owner is supposed to go the hell away while people are looking at their house. Preferably gone from the premises entirely, but finding some excuse to hang out in the back yard, at the very least.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #4053
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
It isn't directly rude, but it is an unspoken rule of house-shopping that you don't comment about the house in front of the current owner. Most people have this weird emotional connection to their house, like they want you to love it exactly the way it is, rather than the obvious reality that you're going to bring in your own furniture and all that. There's a possessiveness that is very hard to explain. You're selling it, but you don't want to picture their stuff inside it, their cars in the driveway. It's not rude, it's just--awkward, I guess.

That being said, it's also an unspoken rule of house-shopping that the current owner is supposed to go the hell away while people are looking at their house. Preferably gone from the premises entirely, but finding some excuse to hang out in the back yard, at the very least.
I do understand what you're saying, don't get me wrong. I still don't think it was reason enough to bitch me out.

The house is for sale by owner, no realtor to show us around, so the owner had to be there. So yes, a bit touchy to mention prospects for the house, but the woman herself is showing/selling. It comes along with the territory then, and I doubt she was actually bothered herself.
Plus my sis was initially pissed off that I told the seller, that she is the buyer. Was I supposed to pretend I or my mom was? Is that not crazy?
Old 05-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #4054
Clodfobble

Oh I definitely don't think it was worthy of being bitched-out, MTP. The owner deserves what she gets if she's going to hover around while you're looking.

That said, tell your sister to be very wary of buying a house without her own realtor to represent her. The seller pays the realtor fees anyway, so there's absolutely no reason for her not to use one, and they can keep you from getting screwed in a lot of different ways.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #4055
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If the house is "for sale by owner", I don't believe the seller will pay realtor fees.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:23 PM   #4056
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Aden didn't put all the cats in their room last night, so one of them was wandering around meowing in the middle of the night.

One of the dogs decided to chew up one of Dazzas bait esky's (cooler box thingy. I don't know what you call them)

Max decided to be a shit when he woke for a feed at 5am.

I'm very tired and I've had enough.

That is all.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #4057
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Hmmm, was this by chance a control issue with you sister?
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #4058
Clodfobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
If the house is "for sale by owner", I don't believe the seller will pay realtor fees.
Yeah, that's often true, unless they've been on the market forever and have started to realize that it's really hard to sell a home by yourself, and then they start getting desperate--really, there's basically no incentive for a buyer to buy a house that's for sale by owner. The house is usually overpriced too, because everyone wants to believe their home is worth more than it is, and it's the seller's realtor who is supposed to bring a dose of reality to the situation for them.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #4059
Pie
Gone and done

FSBOs (pronounced fizz-bos) suck. You get what you pay for.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #4060
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Or they figure they can ask a lower price and still come out with the same in their pocket.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:58 PM   #4061
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

My best buddy just closed on her awesome new home on Friday. Great planner that she is, she took a class in real estate (which was free tuition as employee perk) as she started the process of house hunting so she would know what the heck was going on. She ended up getting it for her price.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:34 AM   #4062
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Feet are covered in ant bites and, despite the anti-itch cream, I can't fall asleep. Grr!
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:29 AM   #4063
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy View Post
A dude I have just met (noob at the lodge) in an inane attempt at gallantry, introduced me to his wife.
Verbatim:
"Marcie, I'd like you to meet the Sargent at Arms, Tony. Tony is also an EX MARINE."
Marcie: "Great to meet you, Tony. Sam and I will be getting drunk on Monday at a BBQ at our house. We'd love for you to join us. After all... Monday is YOUR SPECIAL DAY!. Hope to see you there."

I don't think so. What a pair of asshats.
It'd be a real shame if your REMF caught a right hook in the snotlocker.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:17 AM   #4064
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Discipline, CG... discipline.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #4065
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Update. Had a really bad night last night. Mouth just got more and more painful. New sore spots springing up every where. Molar really starting to hurt and radiate into face and jaw. Tongue and back of throat also hurting.

Decided enough was enough and wasn't going to wait until doctors and dentists open up again after holiday weekend. Got up this moring, and phoned a taxi down to A&E. Wouldn't normally bother them with something like this, but the rate of progression was worrying me. I really didn;'t want it going into my jawbone or something hideous.

I have a very badly abcessed tooth, and this has triggered the infection in the rest of my mouth. So, am now on two different anti-biotics and ibuprofen, and under strict instruction to phone my dentist tomorrow and get them to see me this week.

Couldn't chew food again today. So, in order to fulfil the 'with food' instructions, I necked a bottle of chocolate milk. That seemed to be ok. Took the ibuprofen at same time. hakf an hour later was able to manage half a tin of macaroni cheese.

God Bless Heinz. The saviour of convalescents and dickheads who don't go to the dentist when they should.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss