Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-08-2006, 07:01 AM   #46
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Don't worry, Steve. It would only be on there until it flew away.
... which would be forever.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #47
lhatcher
Go, you might meet someone

I don't want a Christmas card from the dentist, the chiropractor, my car insurance man.. I mean come on, we're not friends. They go straight into the trash.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:22 PM   #48
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhatcher
I don't want a Christmas card from the dentist, the chiropractor, my car insurance man.. I mean come on, we're not friends. They go straight into the trash.
I love corporate christmas cards - send them to me, I'll take em!
Old 12-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #49
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Why, because you don't feel obligated to reciprocate? Kind of a freebie.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 PM   #50
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhatcher
I agree... On the other hand, I wonder about my vendors at work. I always wonder why my colleague the director of PR gets such nice gifts from his vendors and get nothing from mine?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:24 PM   #51
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

My Dad was a plumbing contractor, and the local plumbing/gas inspector. The week before Christmas there would be a constant parade of cars, usually station wagons, in and out of the driveway. I think the record was almost 100 bottles of booze.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:16 PM   #52
rkzenrage

Probably what my mother gets me...
Every year she hounds me and makes a HUGE deal about making SURE I give her a very specific list of what I want... then she gets me NOTHING on it.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:42 PM   #53
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

In my family, just ask for a covered butter dish, or a Chia Head. You will either get none of those two, or a hundred or so of either one. If the latter happens you have a pretty good ebay market. :p
Old 12-14-2006, 12:22 AM   #54
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
. . . a hundred or so of either one.
Well the Dallas family will never let each other live down the year the Salad Shooter came out. Mom dropped hints that she'd like one. She ended up with three, from Dad, my sister, and me. (She kept the one from my sister, on the grounds that she was the only one who hadn't saved her receipt for an easy return. The fact that she had gotten mom the cordless model was just a bonus I'm sure. )
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:26 AM   #55
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

That is so great; I mentioned the Chia Head because one year my younger brother states " I would like a Chia Head. Now, don't everyone get me a damn Chia Head because what the hell do I want with all of them. I just want ONE Chia Head." As a family, we coordinated the Chia Head giving.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #56
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My uncle gives the weirdest shit ever. One year he gave my teenage brother a whistle, like the kind coaches wear. I think that was the same year he gave me a tropical bird mobile. He gives one of my aunts a Chia creature of some sort every single year, though she has never asked for one. Last year my stepkids got to share a little stuffed turkey that makes really accurate turkey noises when you squeeze it.

I'd like to think that it's all a running joke with him, like he's laughing at all of us on the inside, but over the years I think I've come to the conclusion that he really is just an idiot.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:19 PM   #57
rkzenrage

My grandmother gives me nutty gifts... I'm the only one that looks forward to them.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #58
lhatcher
Go, you might meet someone

My mom was notorious for giving odd gifts. She just couldn't take a hint, didn't believe in children making a list because it was unseemly to ask for a specific gift. One year she said a friend needed a gift for her daughter who was my age so would I pick out a record album that was good. Of course I picked out one I had that I really liked. Well that was my gift that year.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:26 PM   #59
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I may have told this one here before, but it is my personal fave, so:

Selene's family likes to make lovingly handcrafted gifts, often out of "plastic canvas" and yarn. We always ooh and aah and make over them real big, then take them home and stick them in a box, never to be seen again unless dragged out on short notice if one of them calls to say they're dropping by.

One year, Selene's mother had clearly run out of ideas. She handed out identical packages to each of the significant family sub-units, and made us all wait to open them simultaneously. We did so, only to find a cloth bag that in turn contained a bag of discount potato chips.

"Its the latest thing, you see," she said. "If you're having people over, and you don't want to just put a plain old bag of chips on the table, you just open the bag of chips, pour them into this cloth bag, and serve them. Save the chip bag, and you can pour any leftover chips back in. Then, all you have to do is throw the cloth bag in the wash!"

We were all dumbfounded...but we oohed and aaahed, then went home and threw it in a drawer and ate the chips right out of the bag they came in. Needless to say, there was nothing to wash afterward.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:14 PM   #60
rkzenrage

Does anyone ever get the giant themed tins of, multi-horrid-flavored, popcorn?