Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-18-2006, 03:15 PM   #16
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
Not a bully in my book, for reasons that most resemble Beestie's. Once again, he says what I am thinking.

FWIW I got bullied a lot in elementary/middle school for being a tomboy and having lots of freckles, so I have extensive experience.
Talk about a mindf*ck...Here I am, reading about loss leaders, laptops, and Walmart, nodding my head in agreement and suddenly there is a post that sure sounds like it is a response to some other thread about bullies...

<<<wonders if she's losing the few marbles she has left.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #17
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Well, since we've turned to bullying:P I also have extensive experience of bullying and in that experience, by far the worst aspect, was not being bullied by a single individual, but the way it spread to pretty much the whole class. That's the trouble with bullying, to me, it's rarely just one person picking on one other person: it's usually a bloody big group of people picking on one person. Mob mentality.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #18
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat
Not a bully in my book, for reasons that most resemble Beestie's. Once again, he says what I am thinking.

FWIW I got bullied a lot in elementary/middle school for being a tomboy and having lots of freckles, so I have extensive experience.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:53 PM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I was given the mob mentality for a year at age 12-13 and only escaped it by the fate of moving out of the country.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:55 PM   #20
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
... so, i 've got that going for me...
Not to mention, when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.

Good score. I got the last generator in washingotn county last winter when the power was out for two days under similar circumstances/ m.o.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #21
DanaC

Quote:
I was given the mob mentality for a year at age 12-13 and only escaped it by the fate of moving out of the country.
*nods* I had it for quite a long time. Usually in stints of 6mths or a year at a time, pretty much throughout my school days. One year was particularly bad and I spent that year hiding in the library at lunch and break times. Other years weren't as bad. The stints of really bad ezcema (bandaged up and unable to move properly), strange dietary requirements and an accent which didn't match my peers didn't do much towards a happy school life :P

Things got distinctly better in 4th and 5th year (14-15/16).

To this day I maintain that girls are waaaay worse than boys on that score.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:43 PM   #22
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
The stints of really bad ezcema (bandaged up and unable to move properly), strange dietary requirements and an accent which didn't match my peers didn't do much towards a happy school life :P

Been there, done that, it sucks. I just got the eczema on my hands, though, but it was awful when little and you were supposed to walk in a crocodile in pairs holding hands and no-one would. Learned to pick up accents pretty quick, though, which has sort of served me well over here (I can say Water and be understood ....sometimes )
Old 12-18-2006, 07:48 PM   #23
DanaC

Quote:
Learned to pick up accents pretty quick, though, which has sort of served me well over here
*chuckles* the accent thing was a funny one. I am actually good at accents, I have a good ear for cadences. But.....my first primary school was a little rough and I started out well spoken...got picked on for speaking 'posh' and changed my accent to be more like theirs....then i moved to a new primary school which was a little more well to do, and got teased for speaking rough....so i changed back to my original accent (or rather lack of accent). Then i went to secondary school and found myself again being teased for speaking 'posh':P I then gave up changing my accent to fit in.

But to get back on topic: What mad things have other people queued/quested for?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:22 PM   #24
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

same here...... coming from a military family who travelled world-wide, I had no distinct regional accent (is there such a thing as a 'Service' accent?) and was always accused of being 'posh'. Just because I could swear profanely in latin.....

as for queing........ sorry, don't do queues...... have already been banned from several local supermarkets for walking off and leaving full trolleys in the overlong till queues.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:44 AM   #25
DanaC

Quote:
as for queing........ sorry, don't do queues...... have already been banned from several local supermarkets for walking off and leaving full trolleys in the overlong till queues.
hahaha. You sound lik my ex.:P
Old 12-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #26
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcGee
have already been banned from several local supermarkets for walking off and leaving full trolleys in the overlong till queues.
Good on them.

If supermarkets are short staffed how on earth are you improving ther situation by making more work (not to mention the wastage - chilled and frozen food in the trolley will have to be destroyed). If all the tills are working but there are still queues it's your own silly fault for shopping when it's busy.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #27
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I'm with Jay--I have no sympathy for places that let huge lines develop at their checkouts. As a business you have to convince people to come into a store and buy your stuff. Once I've decided I'm going to fork over my hard-earned cash to you, I shouldn't have to wait for the privilege.

(Though I've never left a cart behind--annoying as it is, that would just be a double waste of my time in having to go shop somewhere else.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #28
DanaC

I'm just finding the idea of Jay, bedecked in his cardigan glory, just stopping where he is for a moment and then walking off without the trolley, somewhat amusing.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:45 PM   #29
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

it's a cool move in theory, but in practice, as SG says, rather lame. and at the risk of sounding cynial, i am skeptical of the accuracy of his claim.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:48 PM   #30
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
I'm with Jay--I have no sympathy for places that let huge lines develop at their checkouts.
You know what freaks me out? WalMart and Target stores have, like, thirty checkout lines, but I have never seen more than seven or eight running at any one time, and that includes Xmas Eve and other megabusy time periods.

I used to think it was quite a hoot when WalMart had signs over their checkouts that read, "WalMart - Where You're Always Next in Line!" I took that to mean that you would *never* get to the damn cashier.