The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-11-2001, 10:27 AM   #1
Dagnabit
High Propagandist

imo the best star trek news since tng was announced: Scott Bakula will be the next captain. this guy has presence, ability, is not one-dimensional and has the potential to save the franchise. like the best captains he has the ability to show a sense of humor at times while having the range to put some depth into a storyline. this makes me optimistic about star trek again.
Dagnabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 06:16 PM   #2
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagnabit
imo the best star trek news since tng was announced: Scott Bakula will be the next captain. this guy has presence, ability, is not one-dimensional and has the potential to save the franchise. like the best captains he has the ability to show a sense of humor at times while having the range to put some depth into a storyline. this makes me optimistic about star trek again.
Just so he doesn't play the captain like he played Sam Beckett.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 06:07 AM   #3
lisa
Etherial

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
I, personally, happen to like the way that Sam was played. I think that Scott will likely play the captain with a bit more authority but, other than that, what would be wrong with a Sam-type captain?
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 03:01 PM   #4
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: Bakula new Star Trek captain

This selection is not in the tradition of Star Trek. Characters were created from good actors who were not well known. Many famous actors only visited for single episodes. Probably the best of the well known actors made it the best of the Star Trek movies - the villian Kahn by the famous actor Lamas. But the regulars became famous because of characters they played in Star Trek - not on their previous credits. People who played these characters will be best known for their acting breakthroughs in Star Trek - McCoy, Spock, Kirk, Scotty, Picard, Data, Geordi, Janeway, and 7of9. Even the actress (name forgotten) who replaced the waitress on Cheers and who starred in Veronica's Closet was basically discovered because of her acting part in a Star Trek movie.

Star Trek traditionally is where people get famous because of their acting abilities - not where regular series characters are created from already well known actors.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 04:03 PM   #5
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: Re: Bakula new Star Trek captain

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
Star Trek traditionally is where people get famous because of their acting abilities - not where regular series characters are created from already well known actors.
The person in question is Kirstie Alley.

He has the look of a Star Trek captain, but given his character in Quantum Leap, it's hard to put him in the character of a captain. However, he has played some dramatic roles (although I can't name one), and I think he'll pull this one off fine.

BTW, I dug the hell out of Quantum Leap. :-)
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 09:32 PM   #6
Dagnabit
High Propagandist

he was on murphy brown for a while, also he was in the excellent american beauty last year. i agree, they have usually gone for no-name actors for the major parts and hired name actors for bit parts. guinan may be whoopi goldberg's best role ever, at least since her broadway show.

but a lot of the acting has been "standard tv acting" which really bothers me.

but the main thing is, and i don't know so please tell me, since roddenbury's death there seems to be something bigger broken with the whole thing, there doesn't seem to be much vision. once in a while i would watch a ds9 or voyager to see if i was missing anything. i wasn't.

i am really rooting for the franchise, as i would like to see it come back. and also, i am on the side of trek in the "star trek versus star wars" thinking, i can't stand fairy tales and goober child-like aliens with pseudo-religious overtones. i want real people put in difficult dramatic situations, with technology and futurism as the final coat of paint.
Dagnabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 10:26 PM   #7
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

DS9 was my favorite of all the Treks. I thought Avery Brooks carried the leadership role well. Not to mention, the Jem-Hadar were downright sinister.

Unfortunately, we didn't have a UPN affiliate in St. Louis, so we only got Voyager late on Sunday nights. I got lost after they wound up out in the sticks of space (which was what? 2nd or 3rd season? Kes was still on the show).

Who owns the actual rights to Star Trek? Paramount or the Roddenberry family?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 10:41 AM   #8
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by lisa
Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
I, personally, happen to like the way that Sam was played. I think that Scott will likely play the captain with a bit more authority but, other than that, what would be wrong with a Sam-type captain?
The Enterprise is knocked out of warp by a few phaser blasts. A short battle ensues, and the big E is rendered helpless. On screen appears a Klingon warrior: "Surrender and prepare to be boarded!". Captain says "Oh, boy"... cut to commercial.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2001, 08:02 PM   #9
GarlicQueen
May Ter Dee

I'm rooting for Bakula as I've liked the work he's done in the past. However, in reading the press releases, it sounded to me like the Trek franchise (owned by Paramount -- not the Roddenberrys) was trying to borrow from the Babylon-5 universe again. The description of the captian Bakula is to play sounded *very* much like the descripton for Captain Matthew Gideon of "Crusade" -- someone loyal to his crew, but not afraid to "take risks" and "gamble" when he thinks he's right.

Gideon *wasn't* your typical sci-fi captian -- he had a definate shady side that worked in a place like the B-5 universe, but I'm not so sure "works" in Trek. . .
GarlicQueen is offline   Reply With Quote