The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-08-2003, 07:12 PM   #16
Griff
still says videotape

I read a great book on Japanese carpentry a few years back. The writer was an American who studied carpentry under a master, while he was engaged in building a temple. The intensity with which they approached their craft was amazing, years devoted to menial labor as they work their way up to actually sawing wood. Of course its a dying art in modern go go Japan. Their view of life and work was most sanish, most sanish indeed.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:36 PM   #17
perth
Strong Silent Type

please post a title if you remember it, griff. that sounds like something i would enjoy.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 07:06 AM   #18
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
please post a title if you remember it, griff. that sounds like something i would enjoy.

~james
We're in luck! I loaned it out but it actually found its way back to the bookshelf. The Genius of Japanese Carpentry; The Secrets of a Craft by S. Asby Brown
Old 01-09-2003, 07:24 AM   #19
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

You might also enjoy . . .

There are hundreds of titles about Japanese joinery, but one of the most readable masters is Kiyosi Seiko, who has a number of beautiful books, including The Art of Japanese Joinery. Enjoy!
Old 01-09-2003, 09:38 AM   #20
perth
Strong Silent Type

thank you! ill hit barnes and noble on the way home tonight.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:50 PM   #21
Vulcano Mining Compa
Neophyte-in-training

Vulcano Mining Company

undefinedNuestro mensaje es desde Santiago de Chile para todos ustedes, nuestra empresa es la propietaria del Proyecto Minero Vulcano "companiamineravulcano@msn" y pueden solicitar toda la información que requieran, lamentamos informar a aquellos ignorantes y dueños de malos augurios, que efectivamente Vulcano corresponde al Proyecto de Oro mas grande del mundo y para aquellos que han colaborado y creido, nuestro abrazo fraterno y un saludo desde la distancia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leus
Surely most of you knows/have heard of the legend of El Dorado. It was a man (The Gilded Man) that covered himself in gold in order to keep their family safe, who where maintained captives in the bottom of some lake by some fantastic monster. Or something like that.

The fact is that lots and lots of people traveled through South America in search of Manoa del Dorado, a mythical wealthy city, and his golden king. Even some wacky hollywood types located El Dorado in North America.

A few days ago, a couple of guys revealed that they have found El Dorado. El Prospecto Vulcano is a gigantic gold deposit located in my little and beautiful country, Chile. For those of you who can read spanish, there is a link.

Some numbers. The biggest gold mine right now is located in Indonesia, and have about 87 million ounces in its reserves. This newly found mine may have (get this) 33 billion ounces of gold, and should be able to be exploited for about four hundred years.

The cool part? These guys want to share part of their fortune with the poor people of my country, and they are going to create a foundation in order to accomplish this. Ya veremos.

(spelling/orthographic corrections welcome)
Vulcano Mining Compa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:53 PM   #22
Vulcano Mining Compa
Neophyte-in-training

Para aquellos que aún no creen la existencia de Vulcano les envio el email de Compañía Minera Vulcano Chile "companiamineravulcano@msn.com", si lo requieren les mandarán toda la información necesaria, un abrazo para quienes han confiado en nosotros, una vez terminado el período de confidencialidad, les daremos mayor información. Compañía Minera Vulcano Chile
Old 02-24-2005, 02:57 PM   #23
Vulcano Mining Compa
Neophyte-in-training

Solo podemos informar, que inversionistas norteamericanos, son los que han financiado el descubrimiento del Proyecto Minero Vulcano y que efectivamente es el proyecto de oro mas grande del mundo.
Compañía Minera Vulcano Chile
companiamineravulcano@msn.com
Old 02-24-2005, 02:58 PM   #24
mrnoodle
bent

what's spanish for STFU?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:12 PM   #25
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

banned
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #26
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

If you'd like to start the process, mail me all your stuff, and I'll fix you up with a nice katana...