The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 08-23-2004, 02:17 AM   #16
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

coors light. in the can. warm.

-sm
Old 08-23-2004, 06:29 AM   #17
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
I'm like that too but only with hard liquors.
I'm so dry, the smell of rum and whiskey will give me a headache. I feel a bit tipsy just getting a good whiff of the stuff

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:55 AM   #18
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I love the under the cap fortunes on the Magic Hat. (am I thinking of the right beer, steve?)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's it. (They have a new godawful tricked-out useless animated web site so it's hard to tell from there... I'll have to inspect a bottle if I have any at home! )
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:24 AM   #19
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by melidasaur
I like Stella Artios - draft... don't know if you can find it draft in the US, but it is so good. It has a very sweet taste, not very bitter. Very, very lovely!
I enjoyed Stella a lot when I visited England about a year ago. I also tried Speckled Hen (can't find here in the U.S. so far).

As for favourites, I wouldn't say I have a favourite beer as much as a favourite brewery. New Belgium out of Fort Collins has a lot of really excellent beers. "Loft" is apparently seasonal brew, tried it this weekend, and it was fantastic. Their most popular beer, "Fat Tire" is very hoppy, and great in moderation. Their wheat beer, "Sunshine", has got a great spice to it and the hint of citrus makes it nice for hot days.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:41 AM   #20
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf
I'm not a drinker but I have a friend who loves Yuengling. Me, I can't get past the stench of alcohol.
I'm a Yuengling addict. Sucks that it's sooo freaking expensive here in NYC. Next time I have access to a car, I'm going to stockpile in PA and store it under my bed.

My next favorite is Sweetwater 420 and Blue ... it's a microbrew down in Atlanta. They won't sell outside of central Georgia - which is a real shame, but I would love to see some of that stuff here in the north.

"When it hits your lips, it tastes so good!"
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 10:18 AM   #21
Wilder
Lead Subordinate

[quote=alphageek31337]Good to see Guinness guys (and gals) up here. Easily still the best beer ever. However, at one point at the bar I worked at, we had Guiness and either Harp or Bass (whichever one is lighter, I'm pretty sure it was Harp) both on tap. Black and Tan. If you drink beer, and you've never had a guinness black and tan, you need to get off your ass.QUOTE]

I agree.. but to clarify Harp is a lager which is light colored and Bass a pale ale which is amber in color. A bass/Guinness combo is a Black and Tan and a harp/Guinness combo (what you were referring to) is a Half and Half. If you like wheat beers like some have mentioned I suggest a cream of wheat which is Boulevard Wheat/Guinness or if you like sweeter a Black Velveteen with is Cider and Guinness. I am simple and just like Guinness. I also am a big fan of New Belgium Brewery beers (Fat Tire, Sunshine) I saw earlier a reference to Czech beer their Blue Paddle is a real good Pilsner but if you should come across Bier de Mars (a seasonal) it is fantastic.
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:14 AM   #22
glatt

Sometimes I drink one kind of beer, and it tastes really good. Other times, I'll drink the same beer out of the same 6-pack like a day or two later, and it tastes horrible to me. I guess it depends on what I'm in the mood for at the time.

At home, when I'm feeling cheap, I get Milwaukee's Best. When I'm feeling a little extravagant, I'll get Killian's. Often I just get Miller Lite. When you put one of those neoprene huggies around a Milwaukee's Best (Beast) can and it is really cold, it doesn't taste bad at all. I'm conviced that if you did a blind taste test and put the Beast in with a bunch of more expensive beers, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Well, maybe not.

I visit friends' houses, and they have an elaborate selection of various beers, imported and microbrewed. As Forrest Gump would say, you never know what you are going to get. As often as not, the beer I end up selecting out of their fridges is the most god awful stuff I have ever tasted.

Usually, the big name beers are safe. They are not going to offend you. You can always do well with a Heineken, for example.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:59 AM   #23
TheSnake
Resident President

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I'm conviced that if you did a blind taste test and put the Beast in with a bunch of more expensive beers, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Well, maybe not.
I'm glad that you recanted that statement.
TheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:59 AM   #24
warch
lurkin old school

For wheat beers, I still like Blue Moon. Stella can be found on tap here in the heartland. The Mr. loves Urquell and locally, Summit Maibock. Agree on anything Sierra Nevada. I'm still a fan of Newcastle.

Been drinking some good Mexican, too. Negra Modelo and Pacifico.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 12:03 PM   #25
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
For wheat beers, I still like Blue Moon.
Yeah, Blue Moon isn't too bad at all. I think what really helps the taste for me is that it's one of the few beers I can buy in the grocery store on a Sunday afternoon. Course, they have some competition now because Breckenridge brewery is brwing up some 3.2 beer now, and it's pretty damn good.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:17 PM   #26
warch
lurkin old school

Cold Blue Moon and hot, humid weather. slice of lemon. ummmm.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:26 PM   #27
perth
Strong Silent Type

Y'know, this might be another thread, but I really don't understand the whole "fruit in the beer" thing. It's to a point where whenever I order a beer, I have to specify "no fruit" because someone has decided that a pice of fruit, be it lemon, lime, orange or even a strawberry makes the beer better. I personally don't really like the way the sugars sweeten the beer. Now I understand that stuff like Corona *needs* something, because it helps mask an otherwise nasty taste. But when I order a nice handcrafted wheat beer, I find it upsetting to find a slice of orange defiling it. It's probably just me.

It's woth noting that I'm already kind of irked about this. Went out drinking with my cousin on Saturday and he asked for olives in his beer. Called it a "poor man's martini".
Old 08-23-2004, 12:37 PM   #28
warch
lurkin old school

Well, I'm just a citrus gal. Lime and lager, and the lemon with wheat just makes it more refreshing I think. A little extra bite. orange would be too sweet. Acid, not sweet.

There are the goofy raspberry hefewiessen things too, which just kind of strike me as wine coolers. Olives.....ewwwwww.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:40 PM   #29
headsplice
Relaxed

I highly recommend LaTrappe. It's one of several beers brewed by Trappist monks in Belgium. It's pretty tough to find (there's only two bars who serve it here in the TC, and only a half dozen liquor stores who sell it), expensive (think $7.00US for a 10oz glass, or $10-13US for a 24oz bottle) and DANGEROUS (they have a variety that's 8% ABV all the way up to 14% ABV). Despite all that, it's one of the best beers I've ever had.
For more regular drinking: Newcastle or Miller High Life (Champagne of Beers, baby!). For the ultra-local (read: warch only) Chatterbox Ale.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #30
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Red Hook ESB = a superb malty amber ale
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote