The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 06-25-2005, 02:40 AM   #271
jaguar
whig

case said it.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:40 AM   #272
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

Why in the world would you say this is a bad idea? Young people, inexperienced in many many things in the world get married all the time. Why would you suggest that a prerequisite for a happy marriage is sexual experience?

it's my own experience.. perhaps I spoke too soon.. i apologize, I'd be the first toasting them if that's what they choose to do.

You have deftly turned her statement on its head and likewise inverted it's meaning. She DID NOT SAY that she would marry the first person she had 'relations with'. She DID SAY that she would not have sex until she was married. You may say that these two statements wind up being the same thing. But your remark implies that her plan is to marry the first person she has sex with, that marriage is a consequence of sex. Maybe that's what you're trying to say is a bad idea.

once again from personal experience... knowing the difference between love and sex can CAN take a while, I just hope she knows it.. and yes.. I phrased it badly

But I think Luna has something more consequential in mind, that despite her sexual tension, she has decided that her decison to marry someone will be based on criteria other than sex. A wise decision. As you know, and I know, sex can profoundly affect one's feelings and thoughts and actions, not always in reliable ways. I think Luna's decision to wait shows that she will not marry for sex, just the opposite of what you implied.

for the third time, I aplogize. I ought not have thrown in my two cents worth at the time. no. she ought to marry for whatever reason she see's fit.. yes. sex itself has made me do some pretty stupid things... I am older and int heory 'wiser' (alhtough not that much all told)

Sex is G-R-E-A-T but certainly not something to base a marriage on, you said so yourself. Marriage is vastly more important and enduring and complicated than sex, and that's saying a lot. Sex is a part of marriage, not the other way around

you know I agree, I wish I had married the first person I had sex with. then again I'm glad I didn't.. I don't mean to disuade (sp?) her from doing that! some good friends of mine got married at 19/20 I wish I could be that certian. never have been neve expect to be.. but!.. suffice to say I apologize for spouting off at the mouth. I ought to have thought it out a bit more.. Luna, forgive me., (no, I'm not being sarcastic. I ought not have spoken)
Old 06-25-2005, 02:46 AM   #273
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

she ought to get a little sump-in-sump-in (as it were) before the wedding day... the thing is that my grandmother and grandfather were done in an arranged marriage.. and tell ya what he was a bastard. I danced on his grave when he died.. he treated her like SHITso... there in lies my problem with marriage before 'shopping around' a bit.. okay shutting up now
Old 06-25-2005, 05:40 AM   #274
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

In many couplings, sex doesn't begin at marriage, it ends.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 08:45 AM   #275
Queen of the Ryche
is fleeing the scene

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Queen of the Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 12:04 PM   #276
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Hey cowhead, could you please use either the italics or the quote tags when quoting someone? You sounded rather schizophrenic there. The little buttons at the top of the Quick Reply box will do it for you, easy cheesy.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 02:10 PM   #277
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
In many couplings, sex doesn't begin at marriage, it ends.
Tru Dat!

In our case, it ended with the arrival of the second child. Guess she got everything she wanted out of sex and that's that.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:20 PM   #278
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
This is precisely why Western Civilization thrived. Channel that there energy into the protestant (or insert your own belief or lack of belief system) work ethic and you'll be a millionaire before you're 25.
Good thought, but overpromises at the end. How about "successful throughout life".

I didn't finish my PhD until I was 28; the short term goal was not cash. Wasn't a millionaire until 45. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:24 PM   #279
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowhead
as to wolf... I'm sure we agree I'd rahter have sex than be a millionaire
Sometimes you don't get a choice. I'll take what I can get.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #280
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

hmmmmmm...rock steady is a MILLIONAIRE PhD. And married, to boot!

Methinks me in wuv!

But, no.

I'm being unusually good.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 03:17 PM   #281
glatt

Hey, I'm a millionaire. (in pesos.)
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 03:55 PM   #282
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
hmmmmmm...rock steady is a MILLIONAIRE PhD. And married, to boot!

Methinks me in wuv!

But, no.

I'm being unusually good.
Hey, Bri, I have the hots for you too. But, I am always true to my marriage. Wasn't it easier when you knew me as Gwennie! ?

And be good, I'm rooting for you.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:33 PM   #283
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Steady
Wasn't it easier when you knew me as Gwennie! ?

And be good, I'm rooting for you.
No, not easier. I like you as either and equally so.

Thanks for rooting for me. I am being good/good/good. And except for the unusual amount of grilled cheese sandwiches and pasta salad I'm forking down, I'm being good to my body and it's thanking me.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 06-25-2005, 10:40 PM   #284
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I thought you weren't bi, Bri???
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 11:18 PM   #285
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

*ashamed* I'm not. I'm working on it.

—James Barrie