The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 01-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #121
monster
I hear them call the tide

Alrighty, listen up, my kids are awesome.

Thor scored his first goal ever, after 5 years of soccer and three of hockey. It was in indoor soccer and I DIDN'T SEE IT. But I am proud. I didn't see Hector's one and only goal either -it's almost like a superstition -they won't score if I'm watching....

I didn't see it because.... I was watching Hebe perform a judged Cello/voilin duet and then swim on Saturday... and swim some more today.....

She got the highest award from the music judge and then....

6 personal bests out of 7 races and a Junior Olympics cut for the 200 Breaststroke, despite just aging up. And not namby-pamby personal bests, either. She dropped 9 seconds on both of her 200 yard races (>5%) and whole seconds off all the others (at this level, 100ths of seconds are celebrated.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #122
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

How cool is that! Jr. Olympics? Does that mean she has made the cut?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #123
monster

yes. although it sounds somewhat cooler than it is. It's actually below States, but at this age group, the JO times are fast and not much slower than States.

She just last night took even more time off her freestyle and beat her bestfriend/arch rival/nemesis for the first time
Old 02-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #124
Griff
still says videotape

Sweet victory!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #125
monster

I can't tell you how sweet it was for me because that would make me evil

(but the kid is a beatch of the highest order who puts hebe down at every opportunity -Hebe wins, it's luck of the lane or because Whiny swallowed water/suffered goggles failure.... Whiny wins and brags. Whiny is older and faster in free and back, Hebe is faster in fly and breast. Until now bwahahahaha) (she also creamed her in the breaststroke, but that was a given, the free was a huge (pleasant) surprise)

I shouldn't be so amused, they're just kids..... karma will get me somehow
Old 02-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #126
Griff
still says videotape

I usually do okay on the karma front, but a couple weeks ago I did the leap in the air yell, which I usually refrain from. Lil' Pete went to a just for fun team fencing tourney where she was the anchor and the (adult) anchor of an opposing team argued every touch and spent the day coaching his student how to steal touches by being an asshole. It was a fencer directed for fun event so he was spending his day intimidating teenagers including LP. So when they fenced, Lil' Pete cleaned his clock at anchor and knocked his squad out of the tourney. hmmm... maybe she was just the karma enforcement tool on that one.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #127
monster

Hebe's (rec level in a rec league) soccer team had 4 players at the start of the game, so forfeit to the travel team opponent and play a scrimmage game. A 5th player showed just as they were about to start, so they didn't mix up the teams, just played 4 and a goalie per side. When another player made it, they moved up to 5 and a goalie. No subs for us. 10 subs for them. our girls played the full hour and played their hearts out. Many shots on goal (other team's goalie was very good). Down 2-0 at half time -let me tell you that's bloody fantastic. When they have a full roster, they're usually down by more than that against the travel teams (why are they playing in this league? maybe they like winning more than trying )

anyhoo, only 4-0 down with about 5 minutes to go, they were really tired and let in one more. At which point they would normally bring on an extra player (mercy rule) but.... And they kept on playing like troopers. A sixth goal crept over the line right on the buzzer. 6-0 sounds like a horrible loss, but it wasn't. We were so proud, and I was especially proud -head coach was not there, asst coach had lost his voice,Hhebe assumed a captain role and directed play on the field AND had 4 or so accurate and hard shots on goal from behind the center line. She rocks!

Daughter, I am not disappoint.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #128
monster

(We were in the middle of a snow storm and our schools are off this week, the other team is from a different city, so their schools are not off and they had so far to travel they most likely traveled before the storm to be on the safe side. Also regular rec and ed games are cancelled for poor weather, people tend to forget that doesn't apply to indoor winter season which is run by a private enterprise)
Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #129
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
(why are they playing in this league? maybe they like winning more than trying )
My brother was telling me yesterday, that he watched Freddie Garcia get pounded at Yankee stadium a couple years ago giving up a ton of runs but making an impression. He kept his head up threw quickly and had no mound meetings. He threw 8 innings in a losing effort and never looked like a loser. There is a life-lesson in that which Hebe has apparently figured out early.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #130
monster

...and she still isn't awake
Old 02-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #131
monster

Finally.... Hebe won a Championship event. 100 breaststroke. She's been competing for 6 years, has been top seed many times, had many seconds and medal positions, but this is the first win. And she got the cut she needed to go to the next level championships next weekend. She called Beest to tell him the news. First she told him about the cut (if she'd have got it last weekend she wouldn't have been eligable to swim today, which was sort of the plan... but she didn't, still short by 0.04 of a second....), and then she said "and I took first place". Me, i was all "she WWWOOONNNNNNN!!!!!!" She's pretty proud of herself, though And so am I. Even if it means I have to drive 80 miles to wait 4 hours for one race next Saturday......
Old 03-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #132
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Zing 2 set a school record for the 400m last night.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #133
monster

excellent! What was her time?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #134
monster

...wait this is swimming? The 400 IM? Or indoor track?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #135
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Indoor track

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote