The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Thumbs down This really frosts my balls

I don't even know where to start taking exception to this.

article here

copy for those too lazy or unable to follow the link:

For Immediate Release: August 26, 2009

202-965-3500, ext. 369
media.replies@justice.org
Labor Day Holiday Travel Alert: New Analysis of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Data Shows Over 28,000 Motor Carrier Companies Have Safety Reg Violations

Violating Carriers Operate Over 200,000 Trucks; Many Lack Minimum Safety Standards, Including Adequate Insurance, Qualified Drivers and Functioning Brakes

Washington, DC― As nearly 30 million Americans travel U.S. roads during the Labor Day holiday, a new analysis of government data reveals that more than 28,000 motor carrier companies have violated federal safety regulations, operating over 200,000 trucks.

In an original analysis of data not previously seen by the public, the American Association for Justice (AAJ) found commuters are sharing roads with trucks that have incurred thousands of safety violations – such as defective brakes, bald tires, loads that dangerously exceed weight limits and drivers with little or no training or drug and alcohol dependencies.

AAJ obtained data on the safety performance of U.S. trucking companies through the Motor Carrier Management Information System (MCMIS), which is maintained by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Over a million lines of data were analyzed in an effort to pinpoint just how many unsafe trucks might be on the road.

West Virginia, North Dakota, Nebraska, Vermont and Iowa had the highest rate of companies in violation of federal safety requirements. The effects of these violations are deadly. While truck accidents occur for a variety of reasons, many are preventable, and often a direct result of trucking companies violating safety standards to cut corners and maximize profits.

According to the FMCSA:

* More than 4,000 people die every year in collisions with trucks and 80,000 more are seriously injured.
* Though trucks make up less than four percent of all passenger vehicles on U.S. roads, they are involved in 12 percent of all motor vehicles fatalities.
* The vast majority of people killed in accidents with trucks are the drivers and passengers of the cars that get hit.

“As millions of American families pack-up to hit the road for the Labor Day holiday, most are completely unaware they share the road with trucks that are ‘rigged for disaster’” said AAJ President Anthony Tarricone. “It is the unsuspecting motorist who bears the cost when motor carrier companies put deadly trucks on the road and turn a blind eye to safety.”

While the number of trucks currently operating with safety violations is shocking, the analysis is likely just the tip of the iceberg. Many deadly accidents involving unsafe trucks are never recorded as safety violations. A 2005 Government Accountability Office (GAO) study found that nearly one-third of commercial motor vehicle crashes that states are required to report to the federal government were never recorded. Additionally, state crash reports were not always accurate.

The analysis by AAJ follows a July 2009 GAO study which found that more than 1,000 commercial trucking firms that were ordered out of service because of federal safety violations evaded compliance by operating under a different name, but often using the same owner, address and employees.

Linda and John Giuliano know all too well the deadly consequences of companies that keep unsafe trucks on the road. Their 23-year-old son Matthew, a newly-commissioned Army officer traveling to his first assignment at Fort Hood in Kileen, Texas, was killed when his car slammed into the back of a broken-down tractor-trailer-truck. The tractor-trailer screeched to a sudden halt when its brake hose failed, causing the emergency brakes to engage. The truck drivers knew the air brakes were compromised by a small hole in the brake hose; but, rather than call a mobile mechanic, the drivers fixed the hole with a toothpick and electrical tape while the trucking company dispatcher complimented them on their resourcefulness. They drove for two hours until the brakes ultimately failed, passing numerous repair shops where a $12 fix would have made the hose safe again.

Not only do trucking companies disregard safety laws, the minimum insurance requirements for commercial trucks are completely inadequate to compensate those who have been seriously injured in a collision involving multiple vehicles or multiple injured individuals. The minimum insurance requirement for commercial trucks was set nearly three decades ago and has never been raised. In 1980, Congress set the minimum level of insurance to $750,000; when adjusted for inflation, $750,000 is just $292,000 in 1980 dollars.

While large trucking companies may carry more than the required level of coverage, smaller companies often carry just the bare minimum. AAJ’s analysis of the U.S. trucking industry found that 87 percent of the companies in violation of safety standards are small companies that have fleets of 10 trucks or less.

“The current minimum insurance requirements are woefully inadequate and punish injured consumers twice by leaving them to bear the burden of uncovered health care costs,” said Tarricone.

All of the companies listed have either conditional or unsatisfactory safety ratings. A conditional rating means that the truck company’s records indicate the truck was out of compliance with one or more safety requirements. An unsatisfactory rating means that the truck company’s records indicated evidence of substantial noncompliance with safety requirements. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration updates the entire database of unsafe trucking companies each month.

States that had a rate of companies in violation of safety requirements above the national average include West Virginia, North Dakota, Nebraska, Vermont, Iowa, Montana, Delaware, Idaho, Arkansas, Connecticut, Kentucky, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oregon, Indiana, Mississippi, Wisconsin, and South Dakota. A full listing of all companies in violation of federal safety requirements by state is available at www.justice.org/trucksafetyviolations.
###
As the world's largest trial bar, the American Association for Justice (formerly known as the Association of Trial Lawyers of America) works to make sure people have a fair chance to receive justice through the legal system when they are injured by the negligence or misconduct of others—even when it means taking on the most powerful corporations. Visit http://www.justice.org/newsroom.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The list of companies by state is quite extensive, but I noticed many of the violations are a decade, or more, old.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

What chills your man-pills more, that there are a number of unsafe trucks out there, or that "truckers" generally are copping the blame for rogue individuals?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:55 AM   #4
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I've noticed for a while now that the (what I think are) weigh stations on the side of the highways are never open...in Indiana. In the past, I remember seeing trucks line up to get through through them, but it must be several years since Ive seen that. I suppose it was the unofficial way to deregulate the trucking industry.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:08 AM   #5
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
I've noticed for a while now that the (what I think are) weigh stations on the side of the highways are never open...in Indiana. In the past, I remember seeing trucks line up to get through through them, but it must be several years since Ive seen that. I suppose it was the unofficial way to deregulate the trucking industry.
I know in GA they are cutting postions left and right in all state agencies. Wildlife management has recently taken a huge hit. I think this may just be another symptom of the depression of the national economy.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
regular.joe
Старый сержант

On average about 40,000 Americans die on the highways in the U.S. every year. Give or take. As a nation we don't seem to care too much about that.

Just sayin.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I know in GA they are cutting postions left and right in all state agencies. Wildlife management has recently taken a huge hit. I think this may just be another symptom of the depression of the national economy.
Or the 8 years of bush's repubican administration cutting taxes and downsizing government.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
"It's Bush's Fault"
I fixed that for ya.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
Spexxvet

Quote:
I fixed that for ya.
You can't have it both ways. Less government regulation or funding to enforce current regulation gets you the conditions that you are criticizing. Something's bound to give. I agree, it is bush's fault. It's about time you came to your senses.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
You can't have it both ways. Less government regulation or funding to enforce current regulation gets you the conditions that you are criticizing. Something's bound to give. I agree, it is bush's fault. It's about time you came to your senses.
Bull shit. you need to quit blaming Bush for shit he had little to do with. You can have it both ways, a free market with appropriate regulations to prevent monopolys and protect small business without over regulation of the market to the point where everyone expects the Feds to come in and bail them out for poor business practice.

Oh, and if you think I was agreeing with your notion that it was Bush's fault you are deluded. I was mocking your simplistic notion. A common occurence among the left-wing nuts of today.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
Spexxvet

Quote:
Bull shit. you need to quit blaming Bush for shit he had little to do with. You can have it both ways, a free market with appropriate regulations to prevent monopolys and protect small business without over regulation of the market to the point where everyone expects the Feds to come in and bail them out for poor business practice.

Oh, and if you think I was agreeing with your notion that it was Bush's fault you are deluded. I was mocking your simplistic notion. A common occurence among the left-wing nuts of today.
Bullshit x2 - no x 2.38! "Appropriate" regulation needs to be enforced. Enforcement costs money. Bush cut federal income. He spent a lot of what was left on an ill-advised war. Not accepting Bush's responsibility is a common occurence among the "it's not my fault" right-wing nuts of today.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
Redux

The fact that Bush eased some trucking regulations (as well as environmental regulations, food safety regulations, etc) is beyond dispute as is the fact that he defunded other regulatory/enforcement programs.

The impact may be debatable...but there was no evidence that any of these pre-existing regulations were overly burdensome and IMO, it is putting profits over public safety.

As to Merc's "appropriate regulations" test.....here is one example - I dont think extending the hours truckers can drive w/o a break or total hours over a week, overturning earlier regulations, was appropriate.

Last edited by Redux; 09-28-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

The government says it has grants for the unemployed to take classes yet the colleges are strapped for money.

The transportation department seems to have gotten its stimulus money to fix the roads that really didn't need fixing.

The fanatical left is calling Obama the devil when during the campaign everyone was falling all over themselves as if he was the next messiah. I didn't vote for Obama but I wish everyone would just shut up about their new momma in the white house.

I still blame Bush for every wrong thing up til now and I didn't vote for him either. Yeah and I agree with what redux and spex said.

All that lack of regulation and the white house is swinging the other way about 200 %.

A dozen annoyances!
We have pill / vaccine pushers and end time scenarios, over regulation,under regulation,unemployment, crowded expensive colleges and farm raised salmon you can buy on the dime certain to give a person cancer! I might as well just start smoking!
j/k but somethings gotta burn.

Last edited by skysidhe; 09-28-2009 at 01:43 PM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

cite, and cite.

Public institutions have been strapped for money due to decreased state funding. This has nothing to do with the federal monies. Your blanket statement regarding colleges being "strapped for money" is awfully large and vague.

How do you know the roads "didn't need fixing"? Are you a civil engineer? Could it be they will have needed fixing in the next year or so and they're doing it now instead? Could it be that they really needed fixing? I don't know, I just see the surface as I drive over them: I have no idea of the sciences and engineerings and physics and chemistries and and and...that are taken into consideration by those who make these decisions.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #15
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

It was a rant. Mostly about what I see in my own town but still

there is some merit in my large and vague statement.

Please fill free to refute anything I said by citing your own too.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis...nity_colleges/

http://chronicle.com/article/Stimulu...olleges/44421/

http://coburn.senate.gov/public/inde...9-8091b533464f
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote