The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

bring down Walmart?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6336753.stm
Old 02-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
freshnesschronic
Professor

Nah, you can't bring down Walmart. It's as global as McDonalds, isn't it?

But that's freakin' ridiculous that employees weren't allowed to argue their cases.
I worked for Jewel and I was union and I could do whatever I wanted (for $7.60 paycheck deduction a week).
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshnesschronic View Post
Nah, you can't bring down Walmart. It's as global as McDonalds, isn't it?

But that's freakin' ridiculous that employees weren't allowed to argue their cases.
I worked for Jewel and I was union and I could do whatever I wanted (for $7.60 paycheck deduction a week).
unfortunately i think youre right. still, it would be fun trying!
Old 02-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Actually, "you" can bring down the evil empire which is something the courts can not do. If walmart loses this case it will cost them billions? How many billions? They have lots and lots of them you know.

On the other hand, the "you" I referred to is the shoppers. They have the final word on whether walmart continues to screw employees and shoppers or not.
Without "you", walmart is a warehouse with no income.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

i'd agree with that too xoB, but unfortunately the majority of the public are totally unaware of the power Walmart has and how small businesses are going under as a result of their practices.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
freshnesschronic
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
i'd agree with that too xoB, but unfortunately the majority of the public are totally unaware of the power Walmart has and how small businesses are going under as a result of their practices.
Too true. I can't even name a small business chain in my area. I live in prosperous SW suburbs of Chicago and grew up with big brand names dominating my community.
freshnesschronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

There's a wal-mart in the town 9 miles north of here, and one 7 miles south of here. When our intelligent leaders decided WE needed a wally world, too...I about crapped. Couldn't we get a Target or something?

Meanwhile, manufacturing is closing down right and left.

Puh...what a dumb town I live in.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't worry Shawnee, it'll only be there until the local businesses are gone. Then they'll consolidate and close half or more of the stores. They've been doing that successfully all over the country.

After the locals are crushed any store not bringing in $1 million each week will probably be closed. I say probably because sometimes there are extenuating circumstances. Of course none of those circumstances concern your convenience or benefit, only theirs.

walmart is the biggest so it follows they own the most vacant (closed) retail space, right?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
Ronald Cherrycoke
Master Locutor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Don't worry Shawnee, it'll only be there until the local businesses are gone. Then they'll consolidate and close half or more of the stores. They've been doing that successfully all over the country.

After the locals are crushed any store not bringing in $1 million each week will probably be closed. I say probably because sometimes there are extenuating circumstances. Of course none of those circumstances concern your convenience or benefit, only theirs.

walmart is the biggest so it follows they own the most vacant (closed) retail space, right?
I agree... they have done that in the small town that I live in...but I also believe in free trade and capitalism..."Joe Six pack" is always gonna go for the lower price....:}
Ronald Cherrycoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:50 AM   #10
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

well.. that's where the evil empire showed it's brilliance.. the 'ol bait and switch... or bait, switch, crush and re-consolidate.. (tell ya though.. it's pretty sad.. around here a 'walmart' job is actually considered to be a good job.. back 'home' it's seriously looked down upon)