The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-06-2002, 11:21 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

12/6/2002: Doe!

D'oh! We had this exact same occurrence way back when -- here. This time it happened in Montana. Wildlife workers used a boat to cut through inch-deep ice until they could get far enough to tow her to shore. Unlike the last, this doe didn't take to crapping all over the ice.

Stupid wildlife! Can't even walk across a sheet of ice without requiring human intervention.

What I'm wonderin' is whether she winds up tearing two ACLs doing this, or what. Sometimes you see legs doing this during NFL games, but the result is usually someone getting taken off the field on a cart.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 11:31 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Got mine Monday. Don't bait the Bambi huggers Griff. Can inner monologues type?
Old 12-06-2002, 01:04 PM   #3
hairdog
Simulated Simulacrum

Sorry...couldn't resist.
Attached Images

hairdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 03:21 PM   #4
warch
lurkin old school

Butterfly goaltender. Must be from Quebec.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 04:12 PM   #5
juju
no one of consequence

My step-father-in-law is always trying to get me to "go out deer hunting" with him. I try to explain to him that I don't like hunting, but he just doesn't get it. I guess the concept of an American male not liking hunting or sports is completely foreign to him. I say to him, "I don't like hunting", and he just stares at me blankly for a few seconds, and then asks me again when i'll go.

I really don't get these people. What's the point? Yay, a dead deer! I could've just bought a burger from McDonald's <i>and</i> avoided freezing my ass off to boot. Do these people not know why video games were invented?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 04:39 PM   #6
warch
lurkin old school

Stereotypical female equivalent: Its the same as my mom asking me to "go shopping" with her at the mall. She can't feature that I find no enjoyable social aspects to this pastime. In deer hunting at least you're outside.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 04:44 PM   #7
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by juju
My step-father-in-law is always trying to get me to "go out deer hunting" with him. I try to explain to him that I don't like hunting, but he just doesn't get it. I guess the concept of an American male not liking hunting or sports is completely foreign to him. I say to him, "I don't like hunting", and he just stares at me blankly for a few seconds, and then asks me again when i'll go.

I really don't get these people. What's the point? Yay, a dead deer! I could've just bought a burger from McDonald's <i>and</i> avoided freezing my ass off to boot. Do these people not know why video games were invented?
i agree. i have fond memories of shooting my grandfathers compund bow at his old outhouse (no one inside at the time) but i simply dont get the appeal of hunting. now as for sports, i generally agree, but i really do enjoy a day at the ballpark watching the rockies get the shit kicked out of em.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 04:46 PM   #8
juju
no one of consequence

What gets me is that these people think that we're just fooling ourselves. As if, if they could actually get us out there doing it, we'd realise that we really did like it all along. As if it's hardwired or something.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:51 PM   #9
juju
no one of consequence

Well, i'm all for people enjoying sports and hunting. I just sort of resent the expectation that I should like it too. :) Me being in the south probably brings on more of it, though.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:51 PM   #10
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Yay, a dead deer! I could've just bought a burger from McDonald's <i>and</i> avoided freezing my ass off to boot. Do these people not know why video games were invented?
Why don't you pipe down and pass the venison sausage?
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 04:54 PM   #11
perth
Strong Silent Type

my dad is like that. he simply could not fathom why i wouldnt want to join the wrestling team in highschool. he finally bullied me into it and i got my arm broken the first day of practice by a guy named pudge. true story.

i love to go fishing. thank god ive never caught anything. i have no idea what i would do. id probably try to unhook the fish and as soon as he moves id start running in circles screaming like a little girl. i think im gonna skip the hook next time and just attach a weight to the line. i like being outdoors, but i really dont like the idea of hassling the wildlive. the only deer ive ever shot was shot with a nikon and telephoto lens.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 05:10 PM   #12
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I'm not a fan of hunting, but I do like some good venison. And I support those that wish to hunt...IF they are going to make good use of the kill (e.g. meat).

The hunting is a necessity IMO, especially since we are stealing the habitat of deer with almost every new development out in the suburbs and backwoods.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 10:44 PM   #13
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
What's the point? Yay, a dead deer!
Juju, take another look at the photo of that despicable, retarded form of life at the top of this thread. Stupid thing has twice as many legs as I do, and can't walk across a stupid patch of ice without fucking it up.

We're doing them a favor by removing as many of them from the planet as possible. So quit yer bitchin', spray some urine on yourself, and go kill Bambi dammit.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 08:19 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Okay, so here's my lame defense of deer hunting. I took about twenty years off from it because it really didn't please me to kill, for no good reason. In that twenty years the Pennsylvania Game Commission continued their mismanagement of the deer herd to the point where the doe to buck ratio in my area approached 20 to 1 and the deer density increased to the point where the introduction of Chronic Wasting Disease from West of the Mississippi could be catastrophic. The high doe / buck ratio results in late breeding because the few buck can't service all the doe in a timely manner. This produces late fawns who go into the winter undersize and if they survive are scrawny and unhealthy, ripe for disease. The played out bucks also fail to carry weight into the winter setting them up for health problems like the late fawns. In Pennsylvania the anti-hunting ethic has a firm foothold due to anti-science enviromentalism imposed by teachers on their students, so we have fewer hunters and the slob / respectful hunter ratio is out of wack. We could solve our problems by re-introducing mountain lions but thats a rant for another day involving questions of what really constitutes a wild system and its stability/ sustainability and I've been reading Poul Anderson Sci-Fi and he was a genius.

Oh yah, I love venison.
Old 12-07-2002, 07:51 PM   #15
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

All deer hunters are not lazy.

I don't even see this guy totting a rifle, maybe he threw a rock to kill this doe. Or maybe the doe was stuck on some ice and he cracked it in the head with a section of schedule 40 pipe. Who knows.

I would be willing to bet that the whole deer would be used by the looks of this guy's transportation. Next week Billy Bob here will be sporting a new hat, jacket, his wife (or momma) will be cooking stew, and his kids will be tapping on some homemade drums with deer hooves. How's that for complete usage?
Attached Images

slang is offline   Reply With Quote