The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Gruber on Obamacare

There has been a lot of accusations thrown after the 6 videos of Gruber came to light. How do you feel about the Affordable Care Act now that a hired government consultant admits the public was misled??
Old 11-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Link?
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Of course, the things he claimed were hidden from the public are things that only dumb people would have problems with in the first place. Healthy people subsidize the sick - yeah, that's how insurance works. Whether the penalty is really a tax or not is an interesting point of law that eventually went to she Supreme Court, but it doesn't really matter to the people who pay it.

His views on the American public aren't flattering, but I'd say that those same views were successfully used by opponents of the law, so they were so some extent borne out.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
Big Sarge

Sorry, I forgot the links. Here's a few you can meander through:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/jonat...cks-1416009107

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...obamacare-and/

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/jack-co...rks-rebellions

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obama...ry?id=26919286

http://dailysignal.com/2014/11/14/fi...out-obamacare/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...rubers-payday/

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/14/politi...use-obamacare/

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/1...ct-112886.html
Old 11-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I think MacGruber every time I hear his name.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yippie Kai Yay, motherfucker.
Attached Images

Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
infinite monkey

puh. Much ado-doo about nothing.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
infinite monkey

*there have*
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:36 AM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Wait, someone in "public service" has contempt for the public? Pretty sure that's a near universal affliction. How else can you assume to run their lives?
Old 11-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #10
Big Sarge

I am getting the feeling that many of you are comfortable with being lied to, especially if it for your own good because you are too stupid to understand the matter.

Gruber explains unapologetically that lying was politically necessary because the voting public would otherwise never have accepted the fundamentals of the ACA. He says that the Obama administration and ACA proponents strategically obscured the fact that the flawed legislation’s financing was based on a massive tax hike on the young and healthy. He also unmasks former Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, now secretary of state, whom Gruber calls a “genius” for his role in duping the public.

At a conference at the University of Pennsylvania last year, Gruber said that “the lack of transparency is a real political advantage” in passing legislation, then cheerfully added that “the stupidity of the American voter was really critical for the Affordable Care Act to pass.” Speaking of the American public in such demeaning terms in front of a camera shows a dangerous political smugness.

He also reveals the depths to which President Obama and the Democrats on Capitol Hill went to lie to the public in order to pass the ACA.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/o...#storylink=cpy

So many on here have condemned President Bush for misleading the populace during the Global War on Terrorism. Why aren't you rising up with torches now??
Old 11-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What did you just crawl out of the cabbage patch? That's how politicians have operated since the beginning of time. Accentuate the positive, obscure the negative, and get reelected ad infinitum.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:57 AM   #12
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

So far he sounds more honest than most. Most continue to insist they told the truth - even to the bitter end.

And as for Bush et al - they lied to take your (and others) country to war. Sent men and women to fight, to kill and die in a foreign land on the basis of a lie. That trumps massaging the truth to try and get a needed health policy past an ignorant and determinedly hostile populace*

* no I don't mean Americans are uniquely ignorant - we all are pretty much.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:13 AM   #13
Big Sarge

Dana - Perhaps Bush thought he was doing it for the good of the nation by forcing militant Islamists to fight in SW Asia and limit their ability to conduct large scale attacks in the US? Would that be ok with you as long as he had good intentions? BTW, I believe Bush did not lie. Based upon my experience, I believe their were weapons of mass destruction that were moved to Syria and Saddam conducted a military deception program.

In another thread, it was voiced it was ok for Clinton to commit perjury because of the nature of inquiry. Now we have an administration that has been caught lying to the public and government entities to legislation. An administration knowing that insurance premiums would rise for young adults and by 2020, over 40% of work based health insurance would be eliminated.

Interesting that so many of you feel it is ok for politicians to commit criminal acts and actively deceive you as long as their are liberals.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #14
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

It's got bugger all to do with liberal versus conservative. Our prime minister at the time ofthe Iraq war was the leader of the Labour party - my party at the time. He also lied - and I consider him to have betrayed his country, his party and parliament in doing so.

It is to do with the content and context of the deception.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #15
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Dana - Perhaps Bush thought he was doing it for the good of the nation by forcing militant Islamists to fight in SW Asia and limit their ability to conduct large scale attacks in the US? Would that be ok with you as long as he had good intentions?
Dana Sarge - Perhaps Bush Obama thought he was doing it for the good of the nation by forcing militant Islamists to fight in SW Asia and limit their ability to conduct large scale attacks in the US? ensuring those in need have health insurance, that those who use their insurance don't end up bankrupt, and to get the sick poor out of the ER and into their PCP? Would that be ok with you as long as he had good intentions?

Quote:
BTW, I believe Bush did not lie. Based upon my experience, I believe their were weapons of mass destruction that were moved to Syria and Saddam conducted a military deception program.
Dude, you drank the Kool Aid. Look in the mirror.
Quote:
Interesting that so many of you feel it is ok for politicians to commit criminal acts and actively deceive you as long as their are liberals.
See above.

Quote:
In another thread, it was voiced it was ok for Clinton to commit perjury because of the nature of inquiry. Now we have an administration that has been caught lying to the public and government entities to legislation. An administration knowing that insurance premiums would rise for young adults and by 2020, over 40% of work based health insurance would be eliminated.
I don't think Clinton lied. A blow job is not "having sex".