The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 02-24-2003, 05:16 AM   #16
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

j03L13, some of the stuff you wrote was a bit hard for Larry Kenney to say!

Just lettin' you know. The search for prefection goes on...
Uryoces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 03:58 PM   #17
perth
Strong Silent Type

Quote:
Originally posted by j03L10T
'sight within sight'
sight BEYOND sight.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 06:24 AM   #18
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

I believe I'll just let that roll right off my back. Thanks for the sound clip! Just another pseudonym, for one of many cartoon series. Big f'kn deal, you know when I sang "come sail away" for a southpark cd I was really aggrevated but it cracks me up to look back on even playing the accompaniment. The guy I told you all "robbed" me is actually my friend who took Southpark from me as well. It's always nice to spend some occasional time with him, to reflect upon it all so differently. You don't have to remind me of the various pseudonyms and alleged careers of the actors "behind" Southpark. You would only cause me to laugh, and consequently piss many others off just for telling the truth about the matter.

"Mike Judge" is a pretty cool dude.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:00 AM   #19
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

enough about feeling old, i'm posting in response to the whole TMNT thing.

paul bought raphael for his brother lucas. his birthday was february 1. and he got michelangelo for himself. those were the ones they played with the most as kids. and then i convinced paul to buy shredder.

and now they have the new TV show on saturday mornings, which paul watches every week.

if you want get really nostalgic, visit yesterdayland.com. i found lots of shows i had been aching to remember the names of for years, and i found lots of shows and toys that i had forgotten about.
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:14 AM   #20
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

Very nice reading your poem, is the blood "pretty"? There are a few tiny tears as well, that is a very nice poem and in the sense of a loss the reader can only feel in comparison to the reality, if it never had been written at all (while reading).
Old 02-28-2003, 10:14 PM   #21
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

those are lyrics by a great band called sentenced.

they are good.

i love those lyrics because they're true. they write some good stuff.

edited to add: they're kind of depressing and "dark", but you cannot deny the truth in them. yar har.

Last edited by jeni; 02-28-2003 at 10:21 PM.
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 11:01 AM   #22
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

I was listening to bits and pieces of "dust in the wind" at work the other day and i made me think of the poem I did not know was actually from a song by a group named "sentenced". But I do know how that feels sometimes, to want to write about loss before it's actually too late. Sometimes.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:21 AM   #23
CorporateAccount
Person Who Has Posted

Has anyone seen the new TMNT animated show? It's horrible. April O'Neil works for Baxter Stockman and Shredder is no where to be found. They are totally destroying the original mythology of the Ninja Turtles. I would much rather they re-air the original episodes than completely change the history of them. BTW Baxter Stockman is now black and authoritative. He's supposed to be a geeky loser.
CorporateAccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 04:40 PM   #24
CodeBlue40
Disorderly Disciplinarian

The Ninja Turtles were cool when it was just done by Eastman and Laird. Everything after left a bad taste in my mouth. Even the cartoon pissed me off after a while. Of course, a cartoon based on the original comic would only be fit for prime time, possibly even a cable only show.

But that's the way things always are. Anytime something cool, and somewhat underground (read: There's not a toy, cartoon, or cereal about it.) comes around, some jacktard of an advertising or television exec gets wind of it. Then, it gets injected with sugar and plastic to make it "safe".

Safe? Safe! Goddamnit, this was a comic book about ninjas. Ninjas! The ninja was (is?) a silent assassin. A dark and quiet bringer of death, chaos, and mayhem. Ninjas aren't supposed to be safe. I mean, yes, the concept was pretty farfetched, but after a while, minor characteristics about the characters became hooks for pimping out cans of Chef Boyardee.

Screw the Turtles. They're only a shadow of what they once were.

Someone find me an issue of Hamster Vice.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:06 PM   #25
Cam
dripping with ignorance

I think I might have to throw in the old TMNT movie, I've watched both "The Mighty Ducks" and "Cool Runnings" this weekend I might as well keep reliving my elementary school years.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:12 AM   #26
Spinzgirl
Questionist

Never was a huge TMNT fan, was a bit after my time (I was a huge Votron fan, tho) but I don't like the new animation. It's so dark, so scary looking. Haven't actually watched it but it looks hokey.

But that's beside the point. Does anyone know if they show Voltron on any station?
Old 03-03-2003, 11:19 AM   #27
tokenidiot
how the gods kill

Quote:
Originally posted by CodeBlue40
The Ninja Turtles were cool when it was just done by Eastman and Laird. Everything after left a bad taste in my mouth. Even the cartoon pissed me off after a while. Of course, a cartoon based on the original comic would only be fit for prime time, possibly even a cable only show.

But that's the way things always are. Anytime something cool, and somewhat underground (read: There's not a toy, cartoon, or cereal about it.) comes around, some jacktard of an advertising or television exec gets wind of it. Then, it gets injected with sugar and plastic to make it "safe".

Safe? Safe! Goddamnit, this was a comic book about ninjas. Ninjas! The ninja was (is?) a silent assassin. A dark and quiet bringer of death, chaos, and mayhem. Ninjas aren't supposed to be safe. I mean, yes, the concept was pretty farfetched, but after a while, minor characteristics about the characters became hooks for pimping out cans of Chef Boyardee.

Screw the Turtles. They're only a shadow of what they once were.

Someone find me an issue of Hamster Vice.

The new cartoon is based on the comics, actually, and Laird (Or Eastman, but I think Laird) is actually on the team doing it. Of course they cut out the blood, but other than that, some of the scenes are identical to those in the comic.
Not to mention certain details. Baxter Stockman is now black, April is a lab assistant, and so on. I think it's pretty good.
tokenidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 04:42 PM   #28
tokenidiot
how the gods kill

Quote:
Originally posted by CorporateAccount
Has anyone seen the new TMNT animated show? It's horrible. April O'Neil works for Baxter Stockman and Shredder is no where to be found. They are totally destroying the original mythology of the Ninja Turtles. I would much rather they re-air the original episodes than completely change the history of them. BTW Baxter Stockman is now black and authoritative. He's supposed to be a geeky loser.
I hate to break it to you, but April does work for Baxter. And he IS black. Maybe you should read the original comics. That old TV show stuff was completely made up.

The funny thing is that when the old TV show aired, people were pissed because they had changed so much of the original story. "Baxter Stockman is a white, geeky loser. And April is a reporter!?"

Oh, and Shredder has been in EVERY EPISODE THUS FAR. I think you might be watching another show.
tokenidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 08:44 AM   #29
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by Spinzgirl
Never was a huge TMNT fan, was a bit after my time (I was a huge Votron fan, tho) but I don't like the new animation. It's so dark, so scary looking. Haven't actually watched it but it looks hokey.

But that's beside the point. Does anyone know if they show Voltron on any station?
No.

Since you didn't get a welcome post, here it is.

I'm the resident asshole. The older I become, the more I hate people as a whole. I'm pretty quick to tell your that your ideas are ridiculous and even quicker to write you off as someone whom I don't need to pay attention to. I'm basically married, which means I don't feel like I need to be nice to females - so I'm not. You'll get no special treatment from me because I don't care. Since you seem to be more of the liberal bent (judging from your profile and your few posts), we will probably agree on many things but disagree on even more. And I probably won't keep it a secret.

That having been said, I'm glad you're here. The Cellar, to me, is a community. It works very well, and I hope it works well for you. I've been posting regularly here for nearly two years and it's been a good time. It can be pretty much anything to you that you want it to. You decide your level of involvement. I hope that it's as fulfilling for you as it has been for me; that you find friends here and that your enemies aren't too evil; that, at the end of your stay, be it a week or ten years, you say "I'm glad I did that."

Don't be discouraged too quickly and I believe you'll find it's worth it.

I'm glad to have you. Welcome to the Cellar.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:59 AM   #30
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That should be the universal welcome post.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote