The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2016, 11:07 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Apr 22nd, 2016: Nine Kings

I should say eight Kings and a Kaiser. I've seen this picture a couple times but never delved into it
In May 1910, European royalty trekked to London for the funeral of King Edward VII. Edward the Peacemaker, was “Uncle of Europe” —
the German Kaiser, the Russian Tsar, the Norwegian King, and the Dukes of Hesse, Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, and Brunswick were his
nephews; his sisters married the kings of Hellenes and Denmark. Kings of Belgium, Portugal and Bulgaria were his second cousins.
Leading the funeral procession were twelve crowned heads and forty-seven imperial, royal, apostolic, or serene highnesses.
The lone commoner, former president Teddy Roosevelt, who got no respect, was pushed to the rear probably dodging
horse and elephant droppings.

Among the mourners were nine reigning kings, photographed together in what may be the only photograph of nine reigning kings, ever.
The funeral was the last time all of the European monarchs would meet before WW I, which would end half of the monarchies of Europe.
Five of the nine monarchies represented in the photo are still around.

~ Frederik VIII of Denmark (9) was the father of Haakon VII of Norway(1), and father-in-law of Queen Maud of Norway, sister of
... George V of the Great Britain(8). He was also uncle to George V of the United Kingdom(8) and Queen Maud of Norway wife of
... Haakon VII of Norway(1), his son.

~ Wilhelm II of Germany(4) was first cousin to George V of the United Kingdom(8) and his sister Queen Maud of Norway, wife of
... Haakon VII of Norway(1).

~ Haakon VII of Norway(1) was brother-in-law to George V of the United Kingdom(8), and son of Frederik VIII of Denmark (9).

~ George V of the United Kingdom(8) and Queen Maud of Norway, were first cousins of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, as well as
...Wilhelm II of Germany(4), also children of Alexandra of Denmark, sister to Frederik VIII of Denmark(9).

Of the nine sovereigns pictured, four would be deposed and one assassinated. Within five years, Britain and Belgium would be at war
with Germany and Bulgaria. They all knew a war was coming, and knew who it was going to be fighting. Looking at this picture really
makes me realize how much WW I, with it’s 38+ million casualties and the seeds of WW II, was the result of the egos of these
bemedaled and beribboned spoiled brats.

link