The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

job salary reqts

I'm considering applying for a job with the city. I would stay in the public employees retirement system, get a car, and hopefully have much better pay. The job is Code Enforcement for the Health Department.

The thing is they want applicants to send salary requirements. How do I come up with a number? I have no idea what normal pay for a position such as this is (but as underpaid as I am assume it is more than I make now.) Should I shoot high, or does doing so take you out of the running instantly if it is too high?

Any advice?
Old 12-29-2006, 04:17 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I always just put "negotiable." Once they've established through interviews that they really want you, then you can discuss how much you want.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
With respect to salary requirements, I am flexible, and I think a fair market rate would be equitable to both sides.
Quote:
Hello <name>:

<secretary name> is not at fault here. A salary history has not been included in any of our communications. I hope I can be helpful anyway.

I haven’t included a salary history because I believe each job and job holder should determine the compensation value. I will say this: I am looking for a fair offer, not a get rich offer, just as you’re seeking experienced professional performance, not careless rookie performance. As to my history, I was paid fairly by <former employer>, and I would love to entertain a fair offer from my next employer.

I hope you will find this helpful, and not coy. I am earnestly interested in hearing more from you.

Yours,
Here are a couple examples of how I handled the question. In my estimation, salary requirements (for me, ymmv) are more of a tool to weed out applicants, not include. Seriously, they know you want the most money. Seriously, they want to spend the least money. That's a given, and both sides know it. They also know how much they want to pay and you might not. For a posted public sector job, you might know. If it's published, why would they be asking anyway? Are they wondering if you'll hold them hostage for a higher number?

So, I agree with Clodfobble. Defer this conversation as long as possible, even until after a written offer has been tendered. **Then** we can talk turkey.

By the way, I got the job referenced in the second letter.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
I'm considering applying for a job with the city...
Their pay scales should be a matter of public record. Google them.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

OMG - Google, Google, Google, search for other similar or closely related jobs and see what they are offering then go a little on the the high side with a window dipping into the "going rate" ie: going rate averages out to 41,000 - put in a range of 40 to 45. My SO just did this and starts tomorrow making almost twice what she was getting + benefits galore! She ended up getting a lot more than she thought the position was going to pay before doing her research. She was originally looking for a position in a range about 10k less than she is now getting! I can't stress enough to do your research and then go for it!
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I hope my outcome is similar to your SO's, yesman!

Have a great day!