The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-19-2002, 06:40 PM   #1
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

America' Enemy - a classic example

They are running to the White House for free money, 40% tarriffs, immediate action, and blame everyone but top management. No, its not Enron or Authur Anderson (George Jr's fifth and 12th top campaign bribers). It's USX (US Steel). As noted previously, USX, Bethlehem Steel, LTX, etc are classic anti-American institutions. Also noted is the example of a patriotic institution - the innovator Nucor Steel.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/20/bu...ey/20STEE.html

Notice who demands corporate welfare, and who buys big ads to identify an enemy of America. Being that a top White House manager has little appreciation for free market economies (he is an MBA), then he is likely to provide USX with some of what it demands. A free marketeer knows USX is in trouble is because it has stifled innovation for decades. Its top management are MBAs; not steel men. Domestic steel industry innovation only occurrs in Nucor, who is explicitly saying that USX, et al will appeal for corporate welfare.

We knew in August that USX was going to do this in September. But something happened just before the pre-arranged play was to be enacted by big Steel and George Jr. The play was delayed, but is now ready for its premier. This NY Times article is simply forcasting the opening scene in 'Corporate Welfare - a Republican Tradition?'.

A real Republican would tell USX to fire its problem - its top management - and seek bankruptcy. Is George Jr a real Republican or a 'bought and paid for' Republican. We await the next act of a play called 'Corporate Welfare'. Was the Enron chapter pre-arranged? We know this USX act was planned months ago. Blame everyone else except big steel management. Will they get away with it as easy as top Enron management? How wealthy will big steel top management get at our expense? As much as Enron's top management? Will big steel have a federal judge's stifle criminal investigations like in the Enron Act?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 07:38 PM   #2
jaguar
whig

Of course they will. Well my guess is 90% or so will get away scot free, and get what they want, 10% will be scapegoats and publicly raped. Its american politics, its all about money.

Last edited by jaguar; 01-20-2002 at 12:49 AM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 12:40 AM   #3
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

jag-

sorry to go off topic here but i THINK you left out an L there someplace.

pubicly raped? hmm. just wondering
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 12:50 AM   #4
jaguar
whig

silence fool!
Old 01-20-2002, 01:34 AM   #5
dave

I think the big problem is that we're all human beings. Look into Blanche Manning (Federal Judge) for a nice glimpse of corruption and payoffs. She's not been "burnt" yet (i.e., she's still in office), but she'll fall down.

Judges don't receive orders from those above them. At least, they're not supposed to - hence the life term: once they're in, they're in. Anyway. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I surely do hope there will be no public rapage though. I think that would make baby Jesus cry.
Old 01-20-2002, 09:02 AM   #6
serge

NYC Protests Planned Against World Economic Forum

From http://www.indymedia.org/

"Over 1,000 of the world's corporate leaders, along with top political and media representatives, will meet behind closed doors in New York City from January 31 to February 4 at the World Economic Forum's annual meeting. Meanwhile thousands of students, union members and activists plan to protest in what is expected to be the largest American anti-corporate globalization demonstration post-9/11.
Read the NYC Indymedia Guide to the World Economic Forum

Formed in 1971, the Davos-based WEF is viewed by critics as the architect of corporate globalization and the catalyst for the formation of the World Trade Organization. Although the Forum is a private affair, the meeting's clout has begun to rival that of the United Nations as the world's leading global body.

"Should a Forum that is dominated by corporate interests be encouraged to take on the role of mapping out future frameworks for global governance?" asked scholar Peter Goodman in his piece "The WEF: Capital's First International?"

For protest organizers such as Students For Global Justice, Another World Is Possible and the New York Anti-Capitalist Convergence the answer is clearly no.

At the same time protesters pour into New York to protest the global elite meet-and-greet, activists in Porto Alegro, Brazil, will attend the World Social Forum to discuss alterative social and economic models to prove "Another World Is Possible"."

Last edited by serge; 01-20-2002 at 09:06 AM.
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 05:01 PM   #7
jaguar
whig

thanks serge, i was temped ot point that pot. What can i say? Rip. It. Up.
Was soo fucking temped to EMP the last one.